Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Headlight not working

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  badmoon692008 
#1 ·
The headlight just stopped working. No low beam, no high beam. No power at the light. :idunno: Turn signals, running lights, and brake lights are fine. Dash lights ok except no high beam. Fuse ok. Are there more? The ones I check are under seat on right side, in a block of 6. Any ideas? Haven't done anything to the bike since new. Not electrical any way. Added Givi luggage for trips. The 919 Gods are mad. I'm planning to get rid of the bike soon. Just my luck.:gaah:

#4 ·
#7 ·
The picts in the above link are mine at the time I had not did anything to my bike that would have helped the issue along.But It is where the problem was!

When you start the bike the headlight is shut off by the starter button.You will find a broken soldier weld there.

#6 ·
The bulb is fine. I have no power at the plug. I have done nothing to the bike other than the Givi luggage. Didn't have to mess around with any wires. I will look at the wiring diagram and go from there. Thanks guys. If and when I find it I'll let you know.

#11 ·
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Wire at the starter switch broken. I would of never thought to look there. I would have been of to the dealer paying an arm and a leg for a 2 minute fix. Thanks again.

#15 ·
I just had the same problem! Thanx so much guys.. Ten minutes later it was fixed. The light went on me last night with my son on the back when it was dark. Lucky it was only just around the corner from my house!

#16 ·
Bumping because I'm having the same symptoms... Rode home last thursday at night and the lights worked fine. Did an oil change over the weekend, went to leave this morning and no headlight... Will dig into it more when I get home tonight, but sounds like this should be an easy fix.

#17 ·
Figured I'd update: After taking the housing apart it appeared that all my solder joints were intact. I did get the light to come back on with some fidgeting with the wires and switch before I left work, but it was going on and off throughout my ride home. I dug all the way down and actually disassembled the starter switch and a big chunk of solder fell out of the middle. Not sure where it came from but I'm guessing it got wedged in there and was shorting the contact that turns off the headlight. Cleaned the contacts while I had it apart and it's working fine now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.