headlight modulator - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Discen

headlight modulator

I got PAIR system blocked off today (thanks semigray for the plates, a bit too shiny but fit perfect) and installed headlight modulator from www.headlightmodulator.com (I did not spent much time looking for it as you see)

modulator is three minutes install:

take headlight off, plug in modulator in between headlight and stock connector, stick connector and modulator in the bucket, have sensor wire fastened on one of the cables, put headlight back on and two screws back in )

Modulator is for the high beam and turns on when you turn high beam on and if the sensor provided indicate daytime light level. When it gets dark modulator stop modulating and you just get high beam on continuously in high beam position

When I took all the insulation out of the sensor, it was still modulating at twilight at 8 pm.

With modulator and Stebel horn, I hope to save on brake pads (at least) while lane-splitting ( I meant lane-sharing, officer )

Attached are some pictures. Next install will be brake modulator from the same company and DEI Merlin alarm which I hope will take place of removed PAIR valve !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modulator.JPG (203.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg sensor.JPG (169.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg done.JPG (79.2 KB, 68 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Tirone

i've had the kisan headlight modulator on my 919 for about 2.5 years... it really does help in traffic. but i've also found that
a) the blue 'brights on' indicator pulses slightly (not on/off, but i can see it's brightness change) with the headlight at idle
b) my idle pulses as well... modulates about 2-300 rpm

does anyone think these symptoms are bad for the bike?

about a year after i added the modulator, i added a second hid headlight... that has made me way more visible to drivers than the modulator does. i have dual headlights. during the day i run brights, which is the modulator flashing on one side, and a 5w yellow running light on the other side. at night i run low beams - which is the non-modulating 55w halogen bulb on one side, and a cheap-ass chinese-made hid i bought through ebay on the other side. the hid doesn't provide great driving light because it doesn't spread much - but everyone sees it coming. i can reach up and aim the headlight up/down while riding, so i can drop it in heavy traffic, and raise it a bit when i need more light.

btw - my system for determining what gives me the best visibility is based on the ratio of cars that voluntarily attempt to pull to the side as i'm approaching between lanes. when i'm cruising between the left and 2nd lane on the freeway in heavy traffic with the hid on, cars contantly pull aside both to the left and the right while they're stuck in traffic. its very impressive.

i've been thinking about the stebel for awhile now, and with the recent discussions i'm ordering mine this week. but i've been running without a horn for about 6 months now, and i have to say, its really helped my approach and made me much more defensive - slowing pre-emptively and keeping my outs instead of relying on the horn and other people's sense of hearing.

...j919

post #3 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I can't say I understand getting a horn that loud...In every situation where a car has done something that I didn't like or wasn't expecting, I have never used the horn. I was too busy driving my way out of the bad situation.

-Joe
post #4 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

SERGE - where did you get that Engine Cage? How Much?

post #5 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

nice looking dog

post #6 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I can't say I understand getting a horn that loud...In every situation where a car has done something that I didn't like or wasn't expecting, I have never used the horn. I was too busy driving my way out of the bad situation.

Sometimes things happen too quickly to honk but if you get a chance to halt someone's stupidity using the horn, the niner's stock horn may not be loud enough.

post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

anyone else have problem with keeping the outside wire on the stock horn from breaking off? I've replaced the Crimp at least twice.
It's not all that important to me, I thumb-wrestled with a table saw a bunch of years ago and lost. so i often hit the horn when i'm going for the signals, which sucks. So i don't mind it being disconnected, but i was just wondering if anyone else had issues with that wire.

post #8 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows View Post
SERGE - where did you get that Engine Cage? How Much?
those are SW Motech, I think I paid $130 or so but I tend to forget or diminish my bike expenses so I will not be surprized if it was more than this. I posted installation process here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4959

I did not have a chance to test them yet

post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
Sometimes things happen too quickly to honk but if you get a chance to halt someone's stupidity using the horn, the niner's stock horn may not be loud enough.
Good point.

-Joe
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
those are SW Motech, I think I paid $130 or so but I tend to forget or diminish my bike expenses so I will not be surprized if it was more than this. I posted installation process here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4959

I did not have a chance to test them yet
Thanks!

post #11 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
As all skills it takes practice. Timing is everything here. The horn is not to be used instead flipping finger, it should be used before situation occurred to indicate your presence.

First I was hitting the started when I wanted to honk

Now I keep brake and horn covered when lane-splitting or when there is a high potential of people pulling in front of me.

The nice thing is that when drivers hear loud horn when they are pulling out from a parking lot or about to change lanes, they response is in 99 % to stop what they were about to do.

It is may be hard to predict what the driver will do when he see you doing swerving/braking to avoid accident.

Stebel horn works great because when driver hear it they think they about to run off by a train and for an instant became very polite

post #12 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows View Post
anyone else have problem with keeping the outside wire on the stock horn from breaking off? I've replaced the Crimp at least twice.
It's not all that important to me, I thumb-wrestled with a table saw a bunch of years ago and lost. so i often hit the horn when i'm going for the signals, which sucks. So i don't mind it being disconnected, but i was just wondering if anyone else had issues with that wire.
I had it broken off on my stock horn. On Stebel I welded all the connectors and I check that it functions on departure . (Since it is a compressor-driven, short light stub produce only little quack so you know it function but you will not bother anyone)

post #13 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Cornicen

My stock horn wire connectors have already broke once. I put better connectors on this time, so hopefully it won't do it again.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
when driver hear it they think they about to run off by a train and for an instant became very polite

funny

post #15 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I got PAIR system blocked off today (thanks semigray for the plates, a bit too shiny but fit perfect)
Dude! I spend time in front of the TV with 400 grit paper followed by worn 400 grit followed by polish to achieve that shine. I figure it's the least I could do for a part that will be bolted to the heart of the beloved 919.
You could always scuff 'em up, or let 'em go to hell like you did your pipes!
Many years as a machinist has conditioned me to be very mindful of the fit, finish and appearance of a product I'm calling "complete". It's a little piece of me that is presented and I like to think what I make can and should be of the highest order. Maybe I'm anal, idunno.
Just raggin' ya on those pipes, but take a look at sbeau1960's avatar. Now yer talkin'!

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM

+1 on the pipes

post #17 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Just raggin' ya on those pipes, but take a look at sbeau1960's avatar. Now yer talkin'!
that is your shiny plates which spoil dusty look of my bike it took some riding in rain to grow that protective oxide cover on my headers
just kidding, nicely done, especially those holes for screws in the reed vaves. I bought 16 mm long bolts in ACE and they went in nicely. I put some blue locktight since I can not think of any reason to take them off unless I will crack a head cover one day... I did undo the bolts on a 1-4 coil out when taking off the old ones.

Semigray, I am wondering if you can machine the stock grab bar to fit in LED bar for extra stop lights ?

post #18 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Aquilifer

i eliminated the problem with the horn connections by throwing away the horn and connecting the leads to an auxiliary fuel pump and a couple of funny looking solenoids. haven't had a close call in traffic ever since, and thanks to my "mummy pipe" from an old m-rush aquaintance, i'm only a throttle blip away from getting EVERYONE'S attention, especially the "Servers & Protectors". sure, it was a sortof complicated solution, but i find much greater peace of mind while riding now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06082006b.jpg (112.9 KB, 21 views)

post #19 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Semigray, I am wondering if you can machine the stock grab bar to fit in LED bar for extra stop lights ?
A while back, I cut a slot in a grabrail for Sniper. He was looking to run straps through in order to better secure while trailering. I used a wire EDM machine to accomplish this. If it's a blind pocket you require, I'd need to get ahold of it differently, then mill into the back edge. I suppose that's what you're after? Then there's the wires to contend with. Sneaking a hole within the arc of that grabrail would be preferred, but mighty tricky.
PM and let me know what you're thinkin'.
Here's a pic of Snipers rail:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grab Rail2.JPG (48.0 KB, 15 views)

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
A while back, I cut a slot in a grabrail for Sniper. He was looking to run straps through in order to better secure while trailering. I used a wire EDM machine to accomplish this. If it's a blind pocket you require, I'd need to get ahold of it differently, then mill into the back edge. I suppose that's what you're after? Then there's the wires to contend with. Sneaking a hole within the arc of that grabrail would be preferred, but mighty tricky.
PM and let me know what you're thinkin'.
Here's a pic of Snipers rail:
Thanks Semigray! Let me finish the mods I started, and look up the LEDs and I will get back to you.. The bar is grounded to the frame, so only one wire is needed ..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode