Headlight - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Headlight

What are folks running? I had a sylvania silverstar on my previous ride and was thinking of switching to the same for the 9ner... I would like more illumination not to mention I like the bright white/blueish hue of the silverstars...

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I am still OEM. The silverstars are pretty expensive from what I have seen and reviews are back and forth over whether they are brighter than a $5 H4 . Maybe if this one burns out. I don't ride enough at night to warrant doing too much work on the light.

Did you find that they are brighter than a regular bulb?

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #3 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM
The Cripple

599 headlight mod with the h9 bulbs. much better light spread where you need it. cant have too bright of a light and as winter sets in here, most of my riding will be in the dark so i might consider some different h9 bulbs.

the problem with the 919 headlight is that the light refracts and scatters so much it doesnt do much good sticking in another bulb because you wont get the light where you need it.

post #4 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Discen

PIAA Superbright white bulb, HUGE difference in light output, and not bad scatter

post #5 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

There are lots of headlight threads on this site. I also bought a PIAA H4 xtreme white bulb. I ride at night a lot and it is somewhat better than stock. At least it's a nice white light instead of the pathetic yellowish stocker. The PIAA bulb can be had for less than 50.

The high beam seems to be useless on this bike. On my recent 1000 mile iron butt ride, I rode the Hank Williams lost highway (Mobil to Montgomery) around midnight and buddy it's dark. The high beam is really high, meaning altitude not brightness. It seems to light the trees up about 100 ft high too far away. The road immediately in front becomes darker and flying critters are attracted from miles around.

I'm convinced the perfect headlight for the 919 is an LED unit made by JW Speaker. It's model 8700 and unfortunately damn expensive at around $600. It looks badass, is 7 inches and has an H4 connector.

post #6 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Discen

J W Speaker - Engineered Lighting Solutions: Model 8700 LED High/Low Headlamp

That is badass, are you sure its around $600?

Edit: found it for $480, anywhere cheaper?

http://www.oviedosafetylights.com/JW...Beam_Headlamps

post #7 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Tirone

Holy crap thats expensive. Would like to see a comparison to see if it makkes a HUGE difference. Might be a good investment. I get scared driving home at midnight when I can't see far enough ahead to be able to avoid something. With wet roads making it even worse, I'm considering caging it to work. Feel like a vag though...

post #8 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

I found them several months ago because I was searching for a possible 7" HID option. I spoke to JW Speaker and they said the new LED is better and much simpler to install. It looks like the price has dropped a little - I was quoted 600+ by two distributors initially.

I am not sure about room in the housing. The 919 headlight has those wires wrapped around inside the housing and I don't know if this unit would fit in there - need someone to try it and report back. The measurements look like it'd be a tight fit.

post #9 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Aquilifer

That JW looks like a UFO.

post #10 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 10:45 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

599 with Hella H9 bulb, 4200k color and 2900 lumens.

$230 for the whole thing, brand new

this is a low beam pic

post #11 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

599 setup is awesome without a doubt. I was drawn to the JW Speaker because it looks cool, should be a great light, and could be plug n play with the H4 connector. I'll pay more for a drop in solution, but I am not sure it will fit. The distributors also have an f-you refund policy in most cases.

Will it fit in the housing? What holds it in?

By the way, the other distributor I was pointed to is:

APS - leading wholesale distribution in supplying heavy equipment,HID,LED and Halogen lighting

The model 8100 HID light was my initial interest but would have more complicated issues with the ballast installation. It's over $100 cheaper.

post #12 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
The Cripple

mambomonster, the 599 headlight is nearly drop in. just click in the eastern beaver company harness, play with the 599 headlight and bucket to get it to fit, and volia,

post #13 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

^ +1 to the 599 headlight. Great light output with a single H11 bulb that can outshine some cars on the road. Put in a H9 bulb and it's even better. Would def recommend a customized wiring harness so that both bulbs turn on when the high beam is switched on.

post #14 of 30 Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

question... would it be bad to consider wiring in a relay with extra respective hots from the battery to light the low beam when the high beam is lit? so both the low and high are going at the same time on the stock 919 headlight?

Reason i ask is the few times i have been out at night i really wish i had both the low beam's in close lighting, and high beams more scattered upper lighting.

post #15 of 30 Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM
The Cripple

yes that's bad. the 919 headlight is a single bulb, dual filiment. having both lit up would just burn the bulb rather quickly.

if you meant drilling holes for a new socket... i dont see why not?

post #16 of 30 Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Show + go

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Put Silverstar Ultra's in this spring. Pretty good improvement over the OEM. When I was in Indy for the Moto GP though, one of the guys I met over there had a H4 HID conversion from wiremybike.com that was really bright. I will be installing one of these over the winter. They are motorcycle specific with a deflector made on to the bottom of the bulb. Really nice for the price tag of $135 and they use a good bit less juice than the H4's.

When the green flag drops, the bullsh!t stops
post #17 of 30 Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

I put a Hella H4 100/80W headlight bulb in back in February of 2008. Brighter light and no problems to date with either the wiring handling the wattage or the headlight lens handling the extra heat output.

post #18 of 30 Old 10-21-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
duc duc GOOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mom View Post
Put Silverstar Ultra's in this spring. Pretty good improvement over the OEM. When I was in Indy for the Moto GP though, one of the guys I met over there had a H4 HID conversion from wiremybike.com that was really bright. I will be installing one of these over the winter. They are motorcycle specific with a deflector made on to the bottom of the bulb. Really nice for the price tag of $135 and they use a good bit less juice than the H4's.
what is the website again? it would not come up in my browser...

14 Ducati Monster 1200, termi's
07 VFR Anniversary Edition-SOLD
02 919-SOLD
01 CBR F4i-SOLD
02 CBR F4i-SOLD
92 Kawi EX 500-SOLD
post #19 of 30 Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 PM
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambomonster View Post

The high beam seems to be useless on this bike. On my recent 1000 mile iron butt ride, I rode the Hank Williams lost highway (Mobil to Montgomery) around midnight and buddy it's dark. The high beam is really high, meaning altitude not brightness. It seems to light the trees up about 100 ft high too far away. The road immediately in front becomes darker and flying critters are attracted from miles around.
You probably know this already but that problem is SUPER easy to fix on a stock 919 AND FREE!

You can rotate the headlight bucket to any position you want up or down by just loosening the bolts on either side of the headlight. There is a mark for factory alignment but depending on your suspension setup or load, it could be way off.

post #20 of 30 Old 10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Imaginifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
I put a Hella H4 100/80W headlight bulb in back in February of 2008. Brighter light and no problems to date with either the wiring handling the wattage or the headlight lens handling the extra heat output.
This one?
Amazon.com: Hella HLA-H83140171 H4 12V 100/80W Halogen Bulb Off Road Use: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more

post #21 of 30 Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

post #22 of 30 Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
post #23 of 30 Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
599 headlight mod with the h9 bulbs. much better light spread where you need it. cant have too bright of a light and as winter sets in here, most of my riding will be in the dark so i might consider some different h9 bulbs.

the problem with the 919 headlight is that the light refracts and scatters so much it doesnt do much good sticking in another bulb because you wont get the light where you need it.
You scienced this out some time ago.
Set up for optional hi and low run as well as normal hi or low, right ?
Does the 599 headlight assembly bolt up to the 919 mounting brackets ?

post #24 of 30 Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #25 of 30 Old 10-23-2010, 12:06 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
You scienced this out some time ago.
Set up for optional hi and low run as well as normal hi or low, right ?
Does the 599 headlight assembly bolt up to the 919 mounting brackets ?
thats correct mcromo, and ricktard is correct in posting the thread. yes the 599 headlight bolts onto the brackets no problem. it spreads it out a few mm on each side. the real issue comes from the windscreens that bolt on using the same bolts as the headlight. some cant handle being spread out, others can. the windscreen i have on was no issue. before selling the oem windscreen, i saw that while stock the windscreen wouldnt fit, but you could bend the metal bolt points for the windscreen to make it fit.

i havent tried the hi/low separate. i read up on the 599 headlight and decided i wanted both fired on highbeam, and dont regret it one bit. that wireharness was worth it's money as i was able to switch everything over from the wrecked 919 to the new one in less than 30 minutes, including taking off the seat, tilting the gas tank, etc for both bikes.

post #26 of 30 Old 10-23-2010, 05:11 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
thats correct mcromo, and ricktard is correct in posting the thread. yes the 599 headlight bolts onto the brackets no problem. it spreads it out a few mm on each side. the real issue comes from the windscreens that bolt on using the same bolts as the headlight. some cant handle being spread out, others can. the windscreen i have on was no issue. before selling the oem windscreen, i saw that while stock the windscreen wouldnt fit, but you could bend the metal bolt points for the windscreen to make it fit.

i havent tried the hi/low separate. i read up on the 599 headlight and decided i wanted both fired on highbeam, and dont regret it one bit. that wireharness was worth it's money as i was able to switch everything over from the wrecked 919 to the new one in less than 30 minutes, including taking off the seat, tilting the gas tank, etc for both bikes.
Thanks to you and Rickard
I've saved the pages to my laptop.
Rickard has also guided me to a local source that may have a 599 headlight assembly in good shape on hand.

post #27 of 30 Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Show + go

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaCrazy View Post
what is the website again? it would not come up in my browser...
www.wiremybike.com

When the green flag drops, the bullsh!t stops
post #28 of 30 Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Thanks to you and Rickard
I've saved the pages to my laptop.
Rickard has also guided me to a local source that may have a 599 headlight assembly in good shape on hand.
Did you call him and get the headlight? 599 headlight mounts or sticking to the 919 ones? How about the forks? That guy can be a real dick to deal with sometimes. He use to have a gloss black rear cowl by the way, small crack in it if you are interested in having a spare.

Spoiler:

post #29 of 30 Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Did you call him and get the headlight? 599 headlight mounts or sticking to the 919 ones? How about the forks? That guy can be a real dick to deal with sometimes. He use to have a gloss black rear cowl by the way, small crack in it if you are interested in having a spare.
Not yet, I was watching K for the part out F4 to see if it had been sold yet.
I'll only let it lay for another day or two.
By the way, does he do his biz full time, or is it an after hours type thing ?
What is the best time to call him in your experience?

post #30 of 30 Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Not yet, I was watching K for the part out F4 to see if it had been sold yet.
I'll only let it lay for another day or two.
By the way, does he do his biz full time, or is it an after hours type thing ?
What is the best time to call him in your experience?
I am not sure how he does biz. He is kind of out of his house, bikes are in a rental storage place by COP. I think he is a retired crusty old coute that does a lot of under the table stuff. I would say during the week, 9-5 would be the best time to avoid his attiude.

Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode