Header Install Help? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Header Install Help?

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to the forum. Haven't really posted in the past few months that I've been lurking, but now I have reason to. I've got the 919 exhaust stink!
I've bought the parts to swap my exhaust to a CBR900RR setup from ebay. I've got a black '94 header and a carbon D&D can, as well as the gaskets for the installation. I'm going to re-paint the headers with high temp black paint tomorrow evening and install everything over the weekend.
Anyone have any tips? This is the first major mod I've done to any of my bikes that I've had. I'm not a novice around tools, but I've never really done any wrenching on my bikes. Should I use lock-tite on any of the bolts? What about a sealant on the gaskets? I don't have a torque wrench, so torque specs are useless to me. I don't know if I'm going to have to fab anything for the exhaust mounts yet. I'll probably have to have someone else do that for me locally - I don't have any machining tools. Thanks for your input and advise in advance! I'm stoked about my new exhaust!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Mc 9er

can't help you much with your delimma,somone will chime in soon...meanwhile,welcome to the site

c 9er
silver,the fasted colour
post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Tired of Tirone

Search the forum.

I think there is a write-up somewhere in here from someone who has gone that way before.

Welcome

post #4 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...br900rr+single

Many people have done this mod and it is very straight forward. I wish I would have had my camera when I did mine, I would have done a step by step. The only big problem you will run into is removing the "Y" pipe. In order to do so you have to remove the shock. I found the easiest way to do this was to have the bike on both front and rear stands and a hydralic jack under the oil pan.(After the old header is removed.) Slowly jack the bike up until pressure is off the swingarm. Remove the lower shock bolt. You will then need to slowly jack the bike up (this is a good time to have a spotter) until you can remove the upper bolt and move the shock out of the way. Pull out the Y pipe and place the top of the shock back in place. Replace the bolt. Lower the jack slowley until the lower hole is aligned and replace the bolt. Here it is pretty important to have a Torque wrench to ensure the shock bolts are tightened correctly.
I believe the stock CBR header has a mount in the same place as the 919's. That should be one, two. You will need to fab something to support your can. Some 1/8 to 3/16 flat stock of any type should do the job. Everything should be in place so just mark up the stock and drill a couple of holes to go between the passenger footpeg and the cans hanger.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Removing and replacing a complete exhaust system is straight forward. By gaskets I assume you purchased 4 exhaust header gaskets P/N 18291-MN4-920. Loctite is not necessary nor is sealant. After all the parts are loosely connected always begin the tightening sequence from the engine. A torque wrench is not needed as long as you don't 'gorilla the header bolts. Snap one and you are in deep shiet.

Welcome to WristTwisters

post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys. I've seen most of the threads on the set-up, but was just curious if there was any more insight to the process. Hopefully everything will line up and I'll have a easy time of it. I'll keep you informed.

post #7 of 11 Old 11-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Having an extra set of hands helps a lot when attaching the head pipes. I used a dab of high heat silicone to keep the gaskets from falling out while hooking on the pipe. My pipe had a tab on it that bolted to the centerstand mounting point. Yours will too I think. Once I bolted the muffler on, it felt so solid I did not use a muffler hangar which I'm sure someone will criticize me for but it is actually fine.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Cornicen

your probably done, but the rad is designed to be easily unfastened and pushed aside while you service the head pipes.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, no, I'm not done. Looks like the project will have to wait until next weekend. I'm stuck at work for the majority of the weekend. Not to mention that as I was painting the headers last night, I noticed the directions said to wait 7 days for the paint to cure. I don't have an oven to cure it faster. I probably don't need to wait that long, but I really can't install them except on the weekend anyways, so I guess it won't hurt...

post #10 of 11 Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Aquilifer

have plenty of fresh air for when you fire it up and begin to "cure" the hi-temp paint. that stuff will stink for quite a while. and it should begin to deteriorate very slightly after your first fire-up. 1,200 degree my fat hairy a$$.

don't forget to fire it up with just the header (before you attach the can) to show your wife/kid/neighbors who the man is.

fyi, it's you.

post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Heh. That'll be fun. I still have yet to install...I'm stuck at work for the weekend again. MAN we need to hire someone else here. This overtime, while great for the budget, is killing the family and fun time. I don't have a garage at this crappy rental place where we're staying until we buy our next house, so fresh air won't be a problem. Thanks for the advise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode