Harley Fun!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Harley Fun!!

Really hot in eastern NC yesterday...about 90 I guess, so I took the 919 out for a quick ride late in the day right before dark. I was sitting at a stoplight waiting to turn right when 3 harleys come across the intersection in front of me. After they passed all was clear so I turned right and fell in behind them. Now I wasn't TRYING to antagonize them, but I gassed my bike and pulled a quick little wheelie as I came up behind them. Well, I think the guy in the rear saw me in his mirror, because at the next light he starts revving his bike, popping the clutch...doing everything he could think of to get his front tire off the ground. He never was able to do it, and I thought he was going to tear his bike up or give himself whiplash in the process. I think he must have gotten mad cause at the next turn he passed both of his buddies on a double yellow and never looked back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Immune

Those kind of guys are best to just ignore.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #3 of 17 Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Removed User 1

Maybe he was rushing home to get his 919...

post #4 of 17 Old 05-29-2006, 07:34 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

You did a wheelie?

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #5 of 17 Old 05-29-2006, 08:00 PM

Rev, my only experiences with Harleys around here (raleigh) is that they don't wave back

do you have any decent roads down there? We should go riding sometime.

post #6 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjason
Rev, my only experiences with Harleys around here (raleigh) is that they don't wave back
That's because their vision was so shaky, they probably didn't notice the blurred waving of your hand.

post #7 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:

I most always get a waveback from the hoggers. I'm pretty friendly out there and I wave at everyone. But I admit that I grumble a bit when some dressed up hog rider just sit there being 'cool'. Fookin heady bastid!

Now, I rarely instigate something with any other rider. That's a fact. It seems a bit childish to me. Sooooooooo, in that light I guess I have learned a bit of wisdom in all these 50 years.(be nice, now)

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #8 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

I get waves from the cruisers all the time. I figure it's cuz the 9er wears the single round headlight and that messes their brains a bit as I go by with exhaust cans higher then my foot pegs and a helmet on. I think they expected the typical "I ride a motorcycle" fashion show :chris: , and "here is all my leather and tassels to prove it! Never mind wearing a helmet.. doesn't match my other HD rider or wannabe accessories." Gonna really mess their heads when I figure out a clean way to mount some PIAA driving lights to my forks. I gotta try not to do it to much like the "Fat-Boy" three light set-up the HD guys do. We'll see?

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #9 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 12:41 PM

I wave to everyone, regardless. Even scooters. I usually get a wave back rom HD's but whenever I don't it is an HD. That's when they get the old "Bronx One Fingered Salute" from behnd. It's just a matter of respect for someone else on two wheels. It says, "I know man, it's farkin' aweome! I feel you." If you can't give me that back, well then stick it up your poorly tuned tailpipe! You obviously don't get it.

post #10 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
I wave to everyone, regardless. Even scooters. I usually get a wave back rom HD's but whenever I don't it is an HD. That's when they get the old "Bronx One Fingered Salute" from behnd. It's just a matter of respect for someone else on two wheels. It says, "I know man, it's farkin' aweome! I feel you." If you can't give me that back, well then stick it up your poorly tuned tailpipe! You obviously don't get it.
My sentiments exactly, BB. I honestly couldn't have put it better myself.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM
Immune

folks other than harley riders who don't wave back - bmw riders. ... i guess i'm lucky they allow the rest of us on the same roads as them....

post #12 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhorsey
folks other than harley riders who don't wave back - bmw riders. ... i guess i'm lucky they allow the rest of us on the same roads as them....
Uh oh, JB is going to do mean things to you. Trust me.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Immune

like ... not waving?

kidding, i SWEAR.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaa
I most always get a waveback from the hoggers. I'm pretty friendly out there and I wave at everyone. But I admit that I grumble a bit when some dressed up hog rider just sit there being 'cool'. Fookin heady bastid!

Now, I rarely instigate something with any other rider. That's a fact. It seems a bit childish to me. Sooooooooo, in that light I guess I have learned a bit of wisdom in all these 50 years.(be nice, now)

Bigdaa I wave at everyone also. From my earlier post it may have seemed like I MEANT to instigate something. I really didn't. I was just goofing off a little. The only one of them that got an attitude was the guy at the rear of the group. Like I said....he took off and left. He even left his buddies, but the other guys gave me a wave when I got to a point where I made a turn to head in a different direction.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest
You did a wheelie?

Yes, a wheelie!!

Wikipedia describes:
Motorbike wheelie
A wheelie is also a common motorbike trick. The principle is the same, but the throttle and rear-brakes are used to control the wheelie. On more powerful motorbikes (usually above 500 cc) the front wheel is lifted into the air by accelerating, but on smaller bikes the clutch may be used.

Since the introduction of the GSXR750, many motorcycle enthusiasts have learned that a threshold phenomenon exists with high power and low weight sportbikes. Wind resistance becomes quite large at freeway speeds, and any motorcycle able to lift the front tire in the air at 65mph and above can maintain the wheelie for miles without the use of a rear brake or any advanced skills.

This phenomenon is largely responsible for the glut of sportbike wheelie videos which has become popular starting with StarBoyz and continuing with Las Vegas Extremes, and now several hundred sportbike stunt videos on VHS and DVD.

The definitive book on the subject is titled "Wheelyin' With the King" from the late Doug Domokos. It focuses on motorcycle wheelies.

Myself, I am lucky to get my front tire more than a foot off the ground and keep it there any longer than a few seconds.

post #16 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

Yep, a lot of good roads out here in Johnston County. I have been looking for somebody to ride with. I see mainly Harleys and cruisers out here.

I ride with my Dad some, but he lives about 40 minutes away, so we don't get together all that often either. PM me and we will work something out to get together.

post #17 of 17 Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Removed User 1

The only time I waved to a Harley guy was when I wanted him to through me a beer. I find this quite humorous, because I don’t wave to anyone. Unless you’re a 5 year old in the back of your parent’s car, I don’t wave. I though the people waving to me were mistaking me for some one they knew. I did not want to mislead the poor saps so I did not gesture back. Kind of funny that they were probably thinking I was being too cool or an a$$ on purpose. Maybe from now on I will just give a quick nod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode