Hard luggage setup for the 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Hard luggage setup for the 919?

Ok y'all...I'll be picking up another 2004 919 soon! It'll be good to be back on the road.

In my excitement, I'm starting to plan my coast-to-coast ride next year, and am considering brackets and hard luggage. I currently have a Ventura rack and bag setup, which is great for overnighters, but doesn't have enough capacity for more.

From searches here, it looks as if Givi tubular top and side racks (with various hardbag options) and the German upstart SW Motech racks and bags are the two options available. The SW Motech racks have the advantage of removability, but it may be at the cost of security.
Who's got experience with either or both?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

I've got experience with the givi top case. Quite simply, it rocks!!! Unfortunately I chose to tour on a bike that nobody makes side racks for, so I still have to use saddlebags. The hard top case works well for all the stuff you need to stay dry and secure, and the soft stuff keeps all your clothes etc. which most "normal" thieves would have no interest in anyway. Here is my set up.

Here it is in action with all the bags attached.

Keep in mind that nothing is ever secure. Hard bags just make a more difficult target, but if they really want it, they will get it.

I am planning on fabricating my own set of side racks next summer. I won't be doing any epic bike trips again until summer 2010, so I'll have plenty of time! Good luck.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #3 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I thought Givi cases were all removable. When I priced a complete set for me it came out to $1200.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #4 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I think he means the rack part of the system is also removable. With my givi setup, the rack isn't easily removed. I need to remove the tail section bodywork and it takes some time.

After many years and many dreams I have realized my goal of riding in all 50 states!

Now the rest of the world!

Every now and then go away and have a little relaxation. To remain constantly at work will diminish your judgment. --Leonardo Da Vinci
post #5 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have to go with Givi. 36K and zero problems. Factory fit and finish.

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00080 (Medium).JPG (90.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00092 (Medium).JPG (90.3 KB, 86 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #6 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Discen

Shad might be another company to look at when talking luggage. They look nice, but haven't checked on quality or features.

http://www.binetto.com/SHAD-Motorcases/

I want a set of givi's but they are some serious $$$, also I want just the sides no top to start out, and givi states you have to have the top case to have the sides.

post #7 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Nemo are you going to be making the trip 2up?

Fehren how many miles are on that 900RR?

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #8 of 42 Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Honda Hore

I just bought a 2007 919 with newish GIVI hardcase side bags and a matching top case. All in really nice condition with all hardware. I cannot ever see myself using these bags and would be willing to part with them for the right offer. I can provide more info and photos if anyone is interested. Case color is Black

post #9 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 03:12 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I've had 10,000 miles of experience with the GIVIs... none with the other makes.... haven't been able to identify with the "quick release" credo of the non-GIVI items so far for this reason: when I tour, I'm committing 2, 3, or more weeks for the trip, and the GIVI racks take me a total of 15 minutes to attach/detach from the bike. If I can't build 15 minutes onto the front and end of a 2 or 3 week trip plan, I should remain home under close professional supervision.

The GIVI racks:

My GIVI luggage (the E360 top case and the E41 side cases):

But the bottom line is always decide for yourself and get something you really like and trust.

post #10 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I to have the Givi rack like above, but different bags, the bike came with them when I bought it, so I do not know what model number they are. I was going to remove them rack and all, but these things are so darn useful, I just cannot bring myself to get rid of them!

My vote is the Givi hard bags, they are one button push removable after you unlock them, then you carry them like a small suitcase, Very convient.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #11 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 08:01 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have the Givi E41 side bags and E360 top bag. The E360 has the lowest height of any bag that I could find. Secure fit on all no rattling + you can "light them up" if you choose.

post #12 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Tom, were you able to find a passenger pad for your E360?

post #13 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I like Tom's system, but his rear footpegs fell off?

Unfortunately my 9er came with the flimsy smaller rackpad monolock box. It is one deep pothole away from launching. This thread has inspired me to plan an upgrade to the E52 monokey to allow heavier loads. Don't forget to add the rear brake lights too!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...ctview/34/578/

post #14 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Good to hear you will be back on the Road soon Nemo!!

The Givi stuff is tried and true, but from everything I have seen SW motech makes some nice stuff too. I cant comment on their racks, but I did have one of their tank bags, the quick disconnect kind with the ring that goes around your gas cap and doesnt touch your tank. It worked great! Fine quality and good looking too. I dont think you could go wrong with either, hopefully you can find someone that has more experience with the SW stuff to comment.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #15 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
DaveCB919F4

This is something I have done many times when going TDY for the Air Force. I UPS most of my stuff to the destination. Hotels, people I'm visiting, even offices where I'm going to work will recieve the package with a bit of communication. This way I don't have to carry uniforms and tech stuff with me just enough to get from a to b. I've done the luggage thing it just sucks all the fun out of the bike.

post #16 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

There IS a pad (backrest) available for the E360 top case. It is GIVI part
#E83, and it works with the E360 and E50 top cases. It costs around $50.

Since I have no passenger footpegs, I did not purchase the backrest pad.

post #17 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Tirone??

Tom, do you happen to have a picture of your topcase from the rear or front or the bike when monted? Just curious, as it looks like the lowest height they have.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #18 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Tire abuser

Shad cases

I used to sell both the Givi and Shad cases at a shop I worked at. The Givis are really nice quality, never had a problem. The Shad stuff was a slightly cheaper knock-off, but still pretty decent. We had a Shad topcase (29 litres, I think) on the shop Husaberg supermoto (kind of a weird look, but our shop had the coolest parts-getting vehicle in town). I would buy either one - Shad if price was the major concern (Givi has more options, though).

post #19 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the excellent info and pictures, y'all; I'm very pleased that I'll be back on another 919 soon. I'm inclined toward the Givis after getting more info. And Tom, thanks for letting me know that the Givi racks come on and off without too much trouble, for trackdays and weekend canyon carving. I'll research whether they require turn signal relocation; if I get 'em I'll try to do a photo series on installing them.

mtjsr, I'm definitely interested in seeing your bags, PM'ed you.

Fastbackdlm, I like the idea of shipping gear to a destination, but I'll be wandering all over, so I'll want my gear with me. And I did a long trip to CO and MT and back last year on the VFR, so I know I can have fun whether or not I have bags on.

I'm not planning on doing the trip 2-up, it'll just be me; but I'm meeting up with friends along the way in Iowa, Montana, Colorado, North Carolina, and NYC; and want to go camping out in North Carolina with a buddy, so I'll be 2-up for a few segments of the ride.

I also like to do weekend trips with my lady friend here in NorCal; looks like one of the hardbag setups would be perfect for that, not to mention grocery runs. I've done enough urban and rain riding, too, to appreciate the thief-deterring action of lockable bags, as well as their relative waterproofness. Flapping along with rain covers threatening to come off the saddlebags and take flight across the freeway is comic, but not fun!

post #20 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

I bought the SW Motech alurack toprack this past summer with a Givi topcase. I got the optional quick disconnect adapter plate too. With this setup I can go from topbag mounted to just the small aluminum plate mounted in about 20 seconds with the key and a flat head screwdriver. Then, it is four allen head bolts from being back completely to stock. I think the Givi setup is rated for more load but the SW Motech looks better (in my opinion) and is quicker on and off. I take mine on and off pretty often so speed was a concern for me. They are the same price so it's all about priorities. I like my SW motech toprack. I don't have any experience with the side luggage racks. I got mine from twisted throttle.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/158/197/

post #21 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Tirone??

I was going to ask if anyone has used this rack. I agree that it looks slightly better when the bag is removed. Although I suppose that removing the givi rack is simple enough as well, if you want to put it back on for a trip......

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo813 View Post
I bought the SW Motech alurack toprack this past summer with a Givi topcase. I got the optional quick disconnect adapter plate too. With this setup I can go from topbag mounted to just the small aluminum plate mounted in about 20 seconds with the key and a flat head screwdriver. Then, it is four allen head bolts from being back completely to stock. I think the Givi setup is rated for more load but the SW Motech looks better (in my opinion) and is quicker on and off. I take mine on and off pretty often so speed was a concern for me. They are the same price so it's all about priorities. I like my SW motech toprack. I don't have any experience with the side luggage racks. I got mine from twisted throttle.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/158/197/

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #22 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Thanks for all the excellent info and pictures, y'all; I'm very pleased that I'll be back on another 919 soon. I'm inclined toward the Givis after getting more info. And Tom, thanks for letting me know that the Givi racks come on and off without too much trouble, for trackdays and weekend canyon carving. I'll research whether they require turn signal relocation; if I get 'em I'll try to do a photo series on installing them.

My Turn Signals have been relocated for the Givi Set up.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #23 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
DaveCB919F4

Thats cool. With some people it's about the trip. With me it's about being there. I went from Clovis NM to LA CA in 11 hours on my CB1100F (thats 960miles). You don't ride through snake river gourge in AZ quickly carring a bunch of stuff. Everybody has there thing and I wish you the best with the hard cases.

post #24 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Nemo

I am at work, forgot my log in so a little different identity here but I will get back to you tomorrow when I am back home. I live in San Ramon, you may want to pop over the hill and see my GIVI setup personally. Just a thought! Mark

post #25 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

Gotsteam,

The 2 photos below are all I have at present from front and rear perspectives...

I'm hoping they could be useful even though the aspect is not straight-on.

post #26 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Tirone??

Thanks Tom,

That bag doesn't look too bad. Nice looking set up you have there.

Fastback, thats some serious time. I can't even make 800 miles in barley 14 hours with gas stops. I agree, some people like the trip, others the destination. I am one of those who could care less where I'm going, as long as the trip is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Gotsteam,

The 2 photos below are all I have at present from front and rear perspectives...

I'm hoping they could be useful even though the aspect is not straight-on.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #27 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
DaveCB919F4

Your right. Flat out for an hour (160mph or so) stop for gas. Feet on pass pegs, hands on lower triple clamp, chest on tank bag, throttle locked on WFO. I was wearing full riding suit but I wore my mechanics gloves. Worst sunburn I ever had about 1/2 inch wide between gloves and cuff. Riding through the desert at 112 degrees is bad I don't care how fast your going.

post #28 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Tom,
That is a sweet lookin' touring setup for the 919. Are those Throttlemeisters--and if so, how'd you get the CRG mirrors to work with 'em? And is that a Sargent? Nice lookin' handlebars, too.

And MTJSR, heading over the hill to see your setup would be great.

post #29 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Tirone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbackdlm View Post
Your right. Flat out for an hour (160mph or so) stop for gas. Feet on pass pegs, hands on lower triple clamp, chest on tank bag, throttle locked on WFO. I was wearing full riding suit but I wore my mechanics gloves. Worst sunburn I ever had about 1/2 inch wide between gloves and cuff. Riding through the desert at 112 degrees is bad I don't care how fast your going.
I hate that. Going through Needles and Vegas this summer it was 118, and I had that darn burn between my gloves and jacket. I wasn't trying to out run the heat tho. You made some serious time.

Tom, your bags are really nice. Matches the whole paint scheme of your bike well. I am really liking the lockable storage for trips.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #30 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

I rode across Nevada in 2006, and it was hovering around 112...yow. I'd stop at gas stations and just hose myself down completely, either in the bathroom or at the water/air pump. I'd just fill my helmet, squish it on my head, wipe water out of my eyes, and go. Each time bought me about 1/2 hour of evaporative comfort.

You did make amazing time!

And now, of course, I'm wondering how much a hardbag setup affects gas mileage; I'd guess it has less drag than soft bags, anyhow.

post #31 of 42 Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Tom,
That is a sweet lookin' touring setup for the 919. Are those Throttlemeisters--and if so, how'd you get the CRG mirrors to work with 'em? And is that a Sargent? Nice lookin' handlebars, too.

And MTJSR, heading over the hill to see your setup would be great.
Nemo,

Thank you. It has worked great for me.

The seat is Sargent.

The bar is stock, with a SW-MOTECH Universal Handlebar Crossbar attached with Kuryakyn "P Clamps". The crossbar came from Twisted Throttle. The "P Clamps" can be found all over the place. If you haven't looked closely at those clamps, take a look: you can get a lot of ideas for applications. I use the crossbar to hold a camcorder when I'm on a trip.

The weights are the most basic Manic Salamander bar end weights. I got them a long time ago...when they only made the simple weights. Now they have a throttle lock weight and a bar end weight that accommodates a mirror like the CRG on the in-board end of the weight. So Manic Salamander has made the job a lot easier than what I am going to try to explain below:

Anyhow, I wanted to use the weights and the mirrors together. I cut the stems off the CRG handlebar mount adapters. I got a hex head bolt the same diameter as the bolt supplied with each Manic Salamander weight, but about an inch longer. I ran that new bolt through the CRG mount and the weight, and continued through the expansion sleeve. At the outside end of the expansion sleeve I placed two lock washers and a nut to attach to the bolt holding all the parts together. Then I pressed this whole assembly into the end of the handlebar, and tightened the bolt. As the expansion sleeve began to expand inside the bar I oriented the mirror and mirror mount the way I wanted it, and tightened it until the assembly was firmly attached to the handlebar.

See below:

A= CRG mirror
B= CRG bar end adapter with stem cut away
C and D= manic salamander bar end weight and stem
E= expansion sleeve supplied with bar end weight
H1= hex head on bolt used to replace bolt supplied by Manic Salamander
H2= end of hex head bolt
F= 2 lock washers
G= nut holding everything together

But! As stated above, this mirror and weight modification is much easier now because Manic Salamander has a weight to accommodate a bar end mirror like the CRG. It did not have such a product that rainy night when I reached for my t(rusty) hack saw.

I hope this explains the setup...

post #32 of 42 Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Tom,
Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to mount CRGs to plain Manic Salamander bar ends. I've got the plain black variety, scuffed from the wreck; I think I'll repaint them, and consider adding CRGs.

Of course, now I'm considering ADVrider-style luggage; modifying and using Pelican 1550 cases as sidecases to mount to the Givi sideracks. I think I'd stick with a Givi topcase, though.

There's a company called Caribou Luggage Systems that modifies and makes mounts for the Pelican cases, to mount to either SW-Motech or Givi racks. http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=Home

Caribou sidecases and Givi topcase shown here on a V-Strom:

post #33 of 42 Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #34 of 42 Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Picking it up Wednesday evening.

post #35 of 42 Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Nemo post up some pics when you get your new ride.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #36 of 42 Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Picking it up Wednesday evening.
what is it?? what year?? what color?? inquirering minds wanna know

post #37 of 42 Old 11-18-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

You'll laugh; it is another GREEN 2004, same as the first, but with lower miles. I couldn't resist. 6700 miles, always garaged. One scuff on the left-side engine case, no other marks, no mods but a Hondaline windshield.

Of course, I have the box of salvaged parts at home (Satos, stainless brakelines, PCIII, GSG Moto lowered passenger pegs, new Givi engine bars) to start adding on once I get her home. I need to decide whether it's worth replacing the alternator cover, and get a center stand, and I'll be back in 919 business.

The green hornet is dead; long live the green hornet!

post #38 of 42 Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
You'll laugh; it is another GREEN 2004, same as the first, but with lower miles. I couldn't resist. 6700 miles, always garaged. One scuff on the left-side engine case, no other marks, no mods but a Hondaline windshield.

Of course, I have the box of salvaged parts at home (Satos, stainless brakelines, PCIII, GSG Moto lowered passenger pegs, new Givi engine bars) to start adding on once I get her home. I need to decide whether it's worth replacing the alternator cover, and get a center stand, and I'll be back in 919 business.

The green hornet is dead; long live the green hornet!
green hornet parte duex!!!!

post #39 of 42 Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Here's my touring set up. My Army buddies and I do a long summer trip each year. These Givis make it so much easier.

The beauty of this is, is that I can pull it all off in just a few minutes.

Ranger919er

Terrorism is a disease. Rangers are the cure.
post #40 of 42 Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase

Nice quick-change from tourer to naked!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode