HANDLEBAR QUESTION - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

HANDLEBAR QUESTION

Hi everyone, new 2007 919 owner here. I searched previous threads and got a ton of good information but real no answer to my question. I am an old vintage Honda bike guy, cb900 custom, cb750four etc etc, and this is my first "Sport" type bike. I just love the bike but even with handlebar risers, I am still kissing the tank a little bit. My question, is there a pair of handlebars that anyone knows of that I could slap on and not destroy the lines of the bike, but put me in a more upright position? And yes I already have the corbin seat!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
'evening Bruce

More upright than the original bars? Assuming you have the standard stock bars. I've got the stock bars and find them very upright, I feel at times like I'm riding a dirt bike. Currently looking at getting a pair of ultra lows for myself.

post #3 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 04:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

ya i'm not sure that the bike can get any more up right with out feeling awkward, i put the ultra lows on and they feel great

post #4 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Swap your seat out with the stocker and see if that feels better. If it's the feel your looking for you might have to stick with the stock seat or have custom risers made that will accommodate your likings.

The Corbin seat really raises you up, IMO...

post #5 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 AM
Tirone

I happen to be one of those individuals who feels the stock handlebars are still too low, narrow, and far away, even with barback risers. I am in the process of changing the stock bars to the ones from a late model Honda 750 Nighthawk. They are about 1" higher and 2" wider. This places them in a more natural and comfortable position for me. It required re-routing the throttle and clutch cables, nothing major, now I'm waiting for a longer brake hose. It did not noticably change the appearance of the bike, you would'nt notice it unless it was pointed out. I will post pics when completed. BTW, the new bars already had heavy weights welded into them, but I will still use the stock bar ends for additional vibration control.Stay tuned....

post #6 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
DaveCB919F4

Here's a question back at ya'. Where do you do most of your riding? Is it in-town, highway, twisty back roads? I run renthal ultra-lows they are pretty stright and take the angle out of my wrists. At highway speeds there is very little load on my arms and their additional width gives me more leverage for high-speed turn-ins. I also ran CB750Fs, 900Fs, and 1100Fs and they got changed to clip-ons.

post #7 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 09:55 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Mtj

I'll answer just the question you asked. There's nothing wrong with you or the bike, you just don't feel right like it is! Same here. With the stock seat and bars, I was in hog heaven. That fit my body just right. I bought a
Corbin and it slid me back about 1 1/2". I liked the saddle but felt strange and had pain between my shoulders for the 1st time.
I ordered the SW Motech 25mm risers # 150.25S.
They were $54.35 to my door in 5 days. I'm back like I was now. They have 20mm,25mm,30mm, and 50mm, but I think 25mm is about as far as your wires and cables will stretch. Your top cap will fit them nice so you can use the lil chrome buttons on top.

[
post #8 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Tirone

A few not-so-good pics of my new handlebars:

post #9 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeon2wheels View Post
I happen to be one of those individuals who feels the stock handlebars are still too low, narrow, and far away, even with barback risers. I am in the process of changing the stock bars to the ones from a late model Honda 750 Nighthawk. They are about 1" higher and 2" wider. This places them in a more natural and comfortable position for me. It required re-routing the throttle and clutch cables, nothing major, now I'm waiting for a longer brake hose. It did not noticably change the appearance of the bike, you would'nt notice it unless it was pointed out. I will post pics when completed. BTW, the new bars already had heavy weights welded into them, but I will still use the stock bar ends for additional vibration control.Stay tuned....
(Thank you all for the help!) I like the way your 750 Nighthawk bars look installed, let me ask, do you like the position of them and is it what you were thinking you wanted? Did you have issues rerouting any cables etc. Did you have to mod anything else? Did you buy those bars new or used and where? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

post #10 of 27 Old 10-31-2008, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbackdlm View Post
Here's a question back at ya'. Where do you do most of your riding? Is it in-town, highway, twisty back roads? I run renthal ultra-lows they are pretty stright and take the angle out of my wrists. At highway speeds there is very little load on my arms and their additional width gives me more leverage for high-speed turn-ins. I also ran CB750Fs, 900Fs, and 1100Fs and they got changed to clip-ons.
Mostly commuting to work and farting around on the weekends (rural roads) I do love the way the low slung bars look but at 50 years young and with a slight gut, I feel better in the more upright position.

post #11 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 04:57 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

thats a tall windsheild ya got there homey

post #12 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
It's just the angle of the the photo.....I can easily see over the top.
MTJSR, I had an M/C mechanic friend do this job. It did require re-routing the clutch and throttle cables, there wasn't a fraction of an inch to spare. He had to replace the brake hose with 2 longer ones. The bars made a huge improvement.....I don't feel like I'm reaching and leaning forward anymore. The bars are new....$90, worth every penny.

post #13 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylifeon2wheels View Post
It's just the angle of the the photo.....I can easily see over the top.
MTJSR, I had an M/C mechanic friend do this job. It did require re-routing the clutch and throttle cables, there wasn't a fraction of an inch to spare. He had to replace the brake hose with 2 longer ones. The bars made a huge improvement.....I don't feel like I'm reaching and leaning forward anymore. The bars are new....$90, worth every penny.
More quick questions, what year 750 Nighthawk are the bars for and did you have to buy new grips??

post #14 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
I thought it was a windshield from a Pinto at first!

post #15 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Attitude is Everything

So Lifeon2wheels, I notice you have handlebar Risers/backs on there. They appear to be 1 inch up and 1 inch back. Were they on the bike with the original handlebars? If so, did they require any re-routing or changing of cables? That is what I would like to put on mine but I am afraid it might be too much of a stretch.

Thanks, 919Chef

post #16 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Ripper, you crax me up

post #17 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Tirone

mtjsr...bars are from a 2001 Nighthawk 750 (my other bike), re-used the original grips.

919chef....Yes, I tried the up and back risers with the stock bars first, no problem with cables and wires, however, I had to unbolt the brake line manifold from the lower triple tree to gain enough length in the hose.

post #18 of 27 Old 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

to each their own I suppose. I personally went with the corbin seat and a set of ultra lows, but what is important is that you get the bike setup how you want it.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #19 of 27 Old 11-02-2008, 07:07 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Everyone 50 years, gets excused for anything that keeps him in the saddle.

post #20 of 27 Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation 

An observation from riding my bike without the seat for a few days...

I was much lower in the saddle since I was only sitting on a 1 inch thick pad and I was in a very upright riding position. Bars were right in front of me just under shoulder level. Since you have the Corbin it might put you taller in the saddle causing you to reach down to the bars. Lowering your seat would have a similar effect to changing to taller bars. Another plus was that I got very little wind resistance.

post #21 of 27 Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myztical View Post
An observation from riding my bike without the seat for a few days...

I was much lower in the saddle since I was only sitting on a 1 inch thick pad and I was in a very upright riding position. Bars were right in front of me just under shoulder level. Since you have the Corbin it might put you taller in the saddle causing you to reach down to the bars. Lowering your seat would have a similar effect to changing to taller bars. Another plus was that I got very little wind resistance.

I tried it without the seat and it is alot better but makes my butt hurt. I have both a Corbin and a stock seat. I switch between them both when taking longer rides. The stock seat is fine for going down the street to get some gas but longer trips I like the comfort of the corbin. Since bringing up the original question I have changed my tune abit and think I will just leave the bike alone and learn to love it the way it is. It is such a pretty bike without be screwing it up.

post #22 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

As an old decrepid rider, and after 3 back surgeries, (Many Injuries from 20+ years of Military expirence) I bought this Honda 919 for the comfort. Like you myjsr I would love to have that little bit more of comfort, and a Corbin would probably do the trick for me, but right now, after riding Harley's for the last 20 years, and riding My old Honda CB750F SS and the old Nighthawk S before that, this bike is comfortable! I am looking to get the Corbin seat, I just wish they caterd to this bike like the Harley's and offered the seat with the flip up backrest for the passenger then you could flip it down for the racey look. I know this is my first post, but with alot of riding over the past 35 years, I am now just looking for some comfort, with the GRIN Factor to boot!

post #23 of 27 Old 11-07-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

I was at my local Honda dealership getting an oil filter and when I told the clerk which bike I needed it for, the guy at the counter next to me stated he had a 919 as well. Whats interesting to me here (the guy was probably in his late 50 ties) he was bringing up this same issue, wondering about how to be more upright in the saddle and taking stress off his wrists. Seems from this board and beyond, this issue lives on.

post #24 of 27 Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Cornicen

i'm 53 working on my gut,
put renthal aluminum mx bars-no weights,
try prying them from my cold dead hands.
your pictures are just fine.

post #25 of 27 Old 11-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I can ride my bike with no handle bars, no handle bars, no handle bars....

sorry

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #26 of 27 Old 11-08-2008, 07:21 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Hey, whatever handlebar feels right is the right one for you man. Most go lower, a few go higher, whatever makes ya happy!

Superduke
R1200GS
XR650L
post #27 of 27 Old 11-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

you can probably find some for a cruiser that will set you completely straight in the saddle... and no i aint being cute... but sbeau is completely correct.. the "right" handlebars are the ones "you" want on "your" bike and if someone says something smartypants tell em to pound sand...lol my .02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode