Handlebar Controls Questions, help? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Handlebar Controls Questions, help?

Hello extended mostly 919 rider naked sport bike enthusiast family members.

I just got some new bar-end mirrors from Rizoma for my 919.
YAY!

And well I don't want to stop there, I might get their grips, haven't decided yet. BUT now I want to buy levers, Pazzo or CRG or whatever and I don't understand if they come with a new perch or not?

With the new mirrors I dont want these perches that have the mirror holes and I would REALLY like to get a new front brake fluid resivoir for a more custom clean look, over that bulky rectangular resivoir with mirror mount hole perch deal thats stock.

Where do I get new perches for a clean look that will mount up with some new CRG levers.

What kind of fluid resivoir is best?

Anyone else done this ****?

Does this post make me seem ADD? (i've had a lot of coffee today.)

Oh, I'm currently running Coerce handlebars, if this is helpful to my questions.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

post a pic bro

post #3 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

C'mon guys, share some knowledge.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
C'mon guys, share some knowledge.
I don't see any reason you couldn't mount up a reservoir off any other bike. I believe that you would need to swap out the whole unit though. Reservoir, clamps and lever.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
DaveCB919F4

It can get crazy changing front master cylinders. Piston diameters have a huge impact on brake feel and force applied. Be careful, I ran a performance Machine master on my CB1100F and it was great. The people that make these parts can often help with aplication specific advice. Good luck.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbackdlm View Post
It can get crazy changing front master cylinders. Piston diameters have a huge impact on brake feel and force applied. Be careful, I ran a performance Machine master on my CB1100F and it was great. The people that make these parts can often help with aplication specific advice. Good luck.
I probably should have stated that by any other I would assume your going to use something that came off a better or equivalent braking system like a CBR or the likes of that.

Something like this.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

go for it. worst case scenario you sell it back on ebay and reinstall your old reservoir.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #8 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

I've done dozens of custom front brake caliper / master cylinder / disc conversions, and there are certain things that must be paid attention to if you want to end up with a useful system.

Style comes second -- function is the number one priority.

Disc brakes are all about hydraulic leverage ratios, and unless you have a considerable amount of knowledge in this area it is preferable to stick as close to the original ratio as possible.

The stock master cylinder piston diameter is 14mm. The master shown on the EBAY link is an 18mm, and would be a disaster with the 919 calipers, requiring considerably more force at the lever than with the stock master to the point of being dangerous.

If possible match up the piston size first by going to a dealership and looking up every master cylinder for the older sportbikes (say a CBR 600 F3 with the single acting calipers), then make a decision. There are aftermarket masters, but most of them start at 16mm and go up from there. A difference of only 2mm can make a substantial difference in feel, so it looks like you are going to have to haunt salvages looking for a master that looks like you want it to and has the right size bore. Fortunately, most OEM masters have the bore size cast onto the body somewhere, usually in millimeters, but sometimes in inches, in which case you need a 9/16" bore. Hopefully, when you find one that will work CRG or Pazzo will make a lever that will fit.

Again, looks are secondary to function.
Good luck.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
I've done dozens of custom front brake caliper / master cylinder / disc conversions, and there are certain things that must be paid attention to if you want to end up with a useful system.

Style comes second -- function is the number one priority.

Disc brakes are all about hydraulic leverage ratios, and unless you have a considerable amount of knowledge in this area it is preferable to stick as close to the original ratio as possible.

The stock master cylinder piston diameter is 14mm. The master shown on the EBAY link is an 18mm, and would be a disaster with the 919 calipers, requiring considerably more force at the lever than with the stock master to the point of being dangerous.

If possible match up the piston size first by going to a dealership and looking up every master cylinder for the older sportbikes (say a CBR 600 F3 with the single acting calipers), then make a decision. There are aftermarket masters, but most of them start at 16mm and go up from there. A difference of only 2mm can make a substantial difference in feel, so it looks like you are going to have to haunt salvages looking for a master that looks like you want it to and has the right size bore. Fortunately, most OEM masters have the bore size cast onto the body somewhere, usually in millimeters, but sometimes in inches, in which case you need a 9/16" bore. Hopefully, when you find one that will work CRG or Pazzo will make a lever that will fit.

Again, looks are secondary to function.
Good luck.

Rob
Well, I'm glad someone knows what they are talking about! It sure as hell wasn't me!

post #10 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight, Rob.

post #11 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
DaveCB919F4

Thanks Rob. It did sound better the way you stated it.

post #12 of 16 Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 AM
My Bad

Hey dudes... has anyone installed the Rizoma fluid reservoir on the 919?
Which one would fit best?

From this thread it seems that it would be impossible to find a match... but I'm not smart in these ways.

Thanks.

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/Prodo...oria=3&IDSez=1

post #13 of 16 Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a complete front brake system off a CBR954 (perch, reservoir/MC, lever, brake lines, & calipers), and as I understand it these will bolt directly to the 919 fork legs.

If these will work, you'd just need a 929 or 954 clutch perch off ebay (so there will be no mirror holes on either side of the bars), and then buy Pazzo or CRG levers for a 929/954.

Can someone please verify that this setup will work for these guys? I'm moving this weekend and all the parts are in a box right now, but if interested I'll hook you up with a reasonable price.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Milites Gregarius

Rob's feedback on master cylinders is spot on. I replaced the stock unit with another (Gix ?) when I installed CRG's and wanted to lose the stock perches with the threaded holes for mirrors. The result is a rock hard feel and very little travel to the lever. A downside is that the greater force generated actuates the brakes well, but fails to engage the electrical switch so now I'm dragging the rear just to make sure I get the brakelights on around town. If I get on the binders the switch engages, but on more than one occasion I've almost been ass canned rding in a group of 2 or 3 in tight twisties. Also, stick with the stock pads.

post #15 of 16 Old 04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsner View Post
Hey dudes... has anyone installed the Rizoma fluid reservoir on the 919?
Which one would fit best?

From this thread it seems that it would be impossible to find a match... but I'm not smart in these ways.

Thanks.

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/Prodo...oria=3&IDSez=1
Since the "reservior" mentioned in the original post is not separable from the front master cylinder, none of the aftermarket reservoirs listed can be made to work without a lot of modification. They are designed for the rear master, or fronts with remote reservoirs. It's up to you to decide if $60 to $80 plus shipping is worth it. If it is, select one with a similar outlet fitting position and size and you should be fine. Mounting to the frame, of course, is your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a complete front brake system off a CBR954 (perch, reservoir/MC, lever, brake lines, & calipers), and as I understand it these will bolt directly to the 919 fork legs.

If these will work, you'd just need a 929 or 954 clutch perch off ebay (so there will be no mirror holes on either side of the bars), and then buy Pazzo or CRG levers for a 929/954.

Can someone please verify that this setup will work for these guys? I'm moving this weekend and all the parts are in a box right now, but if interested I'll hook you up with a reasonable price.
The calipers will bolt on, and obviously the master cylinder will as well, but it's doubtful if the lines will be long enough to reach the necessarily higher bars on the 919. G&J to the rescue! The brakes will be more powerful, but not quite as strong as the 929 / 954 due to their larger rotors.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #16 of 16 Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
The calipers will bolt on, and obviously the master cylinder will as well, but it's doubtful if the lines will be long enough to reach the necessarily higher bars on the 919. G&J to the rescue! The brakes will be more powerful, but not quite as strong as the 929 / 954 due to their larger rotors.

Rob
I was thinking the same thing about the length of the OEM brake lines, but if you're going to do an upgrade you might as well do it right and get some SS brake lines to go with it. Contact G&J for the proper length lines and you're set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode