Handle bars, risers, lever options - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bartsitarski
  • 1 Post By Bryce919er

post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Handle bars, risers, lever options

Hey gang, just loving another year of riding on my glorious Honda. I love this bike. I've had mine for 9 years now and it has ran perfectly. Anywho, every year I set aside a little bit of money for upgrading the old girl. This year I was going to do stainless steel brake lines, handle bars and levels. Just curious if anyone has used bar risers or had any expirience on their 9ner. My idea was to get a renthal medium bar, cause that's what I've heard is close to stock, then put a rider underneath for longer rides. Is this a dumb idea? I know I'm not getting any younger, but I don't want a super high bar all the time cause of track days and spirited rides. Also, do you think my just orders g & j brake lines would reach with this setup, I don't have them yet and just curious your thoughts. Also, and lever recommendations? Thanks and safe riding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0749.jpg (50.2 KB, 16 views)

02 cb919-yoshi pipes, power commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Optio

Garage
I have the Renthal Mediums with 1" risers. I'm also on a Corbin seat which rides about 1" higher over stock. For levers, I have CRG shorties. Stainless lines are Galfer. I really like the setup and would recommend it. I have contemplated getting the High bars, but until my back finally "needs" them, I'll stick with the ones I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Weller likes this.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 11:18 AM
919 Rider

I love the stock handlebars. Steel is real. Honda had a crack at trying to tune this bike so you can feel it. Certain vibrations in some range. It might not be perfect but I enjoy the feedback I get from the stock bars. I didn't really like reaching forward so much, sore back. Found a great pair of 1 Inch bar risers on ebay. Feels perfect now. I'm still running stock brakelines but will put braided on sometime soon. I'll order lines with an extra inch. The stock lines just reach with the handlebars 1 inch higher. I think I did re route the throttle cables. Just my two cents.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
I have the Renthal Mediums with 1" risers. I'm also on a Corbin seat which rides about 1" higher over stock. For levers, I have CRG shorties. Stainless lines are Galfer. I really like the setup and would recommend it. I have contemplated getting the High bars, but until my back finally "needs" them, I'll stick with the ones I have.

I'm hoping to be picking up a corbin seat soon - did you find that with corbin seat and stock handebars the ride was too "leaned over"? Since the Corbin raises you up and back a bit

ps - love what you're doing with the 6 spoke - looks great!

post #5 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicholas View Post
I'm hoping to be picking up a corbin seat soon - did you find that with corbin seat and stock handebars the ride was too "leaned over"? Since the Corbin raises you up and back a bit

ps - love what you're doing with the 6 spoke - looks great!

That is precisely why I got the risers. Had I kept the stock seat, I would have been good. And thank you! I need to join modders anonymous. I may have a problem.

-Michael Jordan
post #6 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
That is precisely why I got the risers. Had I kept the stock seat, I would have been good. And thank you! I need to join modders anonymous. I may have a problem.

Ahh I see. Welp, looks like a new handlebar may be in the equation, don't wanna be hunched over.

And yes - now that I moved to somewhere with a garage, I can't stay away from my bikes, always looking to switch something up

post #7 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Very cool. I have crg bar end mirrors and very impressed with their quality, I'll look into their shorty levers too. How does the renthal mediums compare to stock as far as height? I read different things saying the mediums are just like stock, and others saying that the high bars are just like stock, just curious. Thanks guys. Also, those 6 spokes are SICK

02 cb919-yoshi pipes, power commander
post #8 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Weller View Post
Very cool. I have crg bar end mirrors and very impressed with their quality, I'll look into their shorty levers too. How does the renthal mediums compare to stock as far as height? I read different things saying the mediums are just like stock, and others saying that the high bars are just like stock, just curious. Thanks guys. Also, those 6 spokes are SICK

Not sure how they compare. My bike came with lows. From what I read, they are pretty much the same height, but wider and angled out more for a more natural wrist angle.

-Michael Jordan
post #9 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Milites Gregarius

I'm 6'1 so a Corbin seat might be in order. I actually want to go in the opposite direction. I want a little lower and forward. My 78" arm span would prefer a little more distance to the bars me thinks.

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
post #10 of 18 Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Centurion

Quote:

Renthal mediums, 1 up & 1 back risers necessitated from adding a Corbin; without risers I was leaned over like superman.. No Corbin, no risers.
TheScientist likes this.

post #11 of 18 Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I run renthal mediums with a corbin and think it's about perfect for what it's worth... I also have a very tall torso so usually bend more than others...

side note, I'd keep the stock seat for spirited rides.. The corbin has a hard edge that makes it very difficult to do anything but sit bolt upright on the bike, which is great for long rides, but not great for spirited riding.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 18 Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

Anyone try clubmans to go down and away?

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
post #13 of 18 Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Ride with grace.

Vis-a-vis renthal mediums. Just installed mine, it's a little bit of a stretch for the stock cables. I haven't started her up yet to see if there's any reaction from the carbs or clutch from the new setup, but I want to ask those of you who have done the same thing if I need to replace the throttle/clutch cables with longer ones (I hear a little stretch complaint when I turn the steering head from side to side). It doesn't seem like there's an extreme challenge, but I'd prefer to hear from those who know for sure.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin4242 View Post
Vis-a-vis renthal mediums. Just installed mine, it's a little bit of a stretch for the stock cables. I haven't started her up yet to see if there's any reaction from the carbs or clutch from the new setup, but I want to ask those of you who have done the same thing if I need to replace the throttle/clutch cables with longer ones (I hear a little stretch complaint when I turn the steering head from side to side). It doesn't seem like there's an extreme challenge, but I'd prefer to hear from those who know for sure.
It helps if you reroute the cables a bit where they pass behind the headlight, but I have 30,000 problem free miles with renthal mediums with stock cables.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #15 of 18 Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Optio

Garage
Stock cables and mediums with a 1 riser. Just rerouted the cables

-Michael Jordan
post #16 of 18 Old 10-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Ride with grace.

OK, so full disclosure, I did re-route the clutch cable line outside of the headlight bracket, and while that frees it up for right turn, it kind of coils on left turn of the handlebars. Not too worried, clutch pull is the same, whatever. Should I also pull the throttle cables out of the bracket and re-install? I just don't want to over stress the bracket under the tank, which is a whole bunch of fun trying to get to without removing the tank. Or should I just suck it up and remove the tank, play hanky panky with all the cables and do my own thing. Not abject to taking it all apart, but if I don't have to, I don't want to. Thanks all, for your input.

post #17 of 18 Old 10-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Centurion

I have Renthal mediums & 1 up + 1 back risers & I too got the cables to work by re-routing. I don't recall exactly how but I am pretty sure I had to disconnect everything. When done you can't tell from stock, nothing is outside the silver headlight brackets. I already had Galfer lines which were longer by default.

post #18 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 02:18 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I have some 2 inch adjustable 7/8 rox risers I had planned to put on my FZ1. Before I put them up for sale anywhere I wonder if they would fit my 05 Hornet? If so, will the cables still reach? Or would I need to also get a different bar? To make use of the risers but not the full 2inch to keep the cables happy? I suppose in that case I would be better of selling the risers and swapping the bars to get a little extra height or picking up 1 inch risers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode