green neutral light - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 09-22-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up green neutral light

Hey all, I just picked up an '03'919 with a rebuilt title,with 2800 miles for $2500! I love the low end power and handling. The neutral light does'nt come on? I have an service manual comming. Any thoughts on what to look at first? Also after a ride,I notice a several drips of coolant on the floor out the drain hose. Is this normal?
I think this bike rocks (way better than my YZF600)! I kind of wish I had a new one, but the price was good and the frame and motor seem fine.
I just got new m3 tires and a stand. I bid on EBAY last nite for a green tank and rear cowl but did'nt get it. Thanks for any help, Ilovheros

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Hate to state the obvious, but might the light be burned out? Not sure if there is a way to check it without taking the cluster apart. There is a wiring diagram here.
As for the coolant, unless it is overfilled from what I understand, no there should not be any coolant dripping after a ride.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovheros View Post
Also after a ride,I notice a several drips of coolant on the floor out the drain hose. Is this normal?
Yes. It will drip a little when you turn it off until it the level down to a point that is lower than the overflow tube when it is fully hot and turned off. (If this makes sense.?) Basically, it needs to be at a lower lever to stop dripping. It can take months and months at 2 or 3 drops per use cycle. If it's a nuisance then take some coolant out of the overflow bottle. Otherwise, ignore it. Let mine drip until it stopped on it's own.. took also two seasons.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Yes. It will drip a little when you turn it off until it the level down to a point that is lower than the overflow tube when it is fully hot and turned off. (If this makes sense.?) Basically, it needs to be at a lower lever to stop dripping. It can take months and months at 2 or 3 drops per use cycle. If it's a nuisance then take some coolant out of the overflow bottle. Otherwise, ignore it. Let mine drip until it stopped on it's own.. took also two seasons.
I had the same thing here. Mine is an 05'. Just keep an eye on your coolant. Once it stops dripping and your coolant level is fine you are good to go. Should be nothing to worry about.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Electrics!

+1 on the level in the reserve tank -- mine needs to be about 6mm below the upper level line to not drip.
As for the neutral light, it's an LED, so is very unlikely to be burned out. Does the starter work in neutral without pulling in the clutch? If so, the neutral switch and the wiring to the clutch diode in the fuse box is good, and the defect is further up in the system, starting with the neutral light side of the clutch diode. From there it is hard wired (no intervening connectors) to the Light Green/Red wire in the black 9 pin block connector inside the headlight shell. To test the light, turn on the ignition switch and ground the Lg/R wire on the main harness side of the connector -- the light should come on. If it does, the problem is either in the clutch diode or the wire to the black connector is broken somewhere inside the harness -- look for any chafed or cut spots on the harness wrapping as they may indicate where the problem lies. If the light does not come on, it may be burned out, the pin in the black conn. may be pushed back, one of the mini connectors to the gauge board may be partially unplugged, the wire from the black conn. may be broken, or there is a broken trace on the circuit board. There are quite a few possibilities, but they can be eliminated one at a time by a visual inspection and signal tracing with an inexpensive digital volt meter from Radio Shack or Harbor Freight. If you have gotten this far and get stuck, post your inspection results in as much detail as possible, and I'll try to go into more detail.
If you need a wiring diagram, there is a good one posted in the Helpful Topics for new 919 owners: sticky at the top of the 919 section, third up from the bottom of the Helpful How To's section. Just zoom in and trace the circuit, starting at the neutral switch. Good luck with this.
For everyone: while I was looking at the neutral light circuit, I figured out the sidestand kill function. The ECU monitors the sidestand switch (G/W, ECU pin 21, Gray conn.) and the starter signal wire (G/R, ECU pin 10 Gray conn., indirectly sensing the neutral switch). If it does not see a ground from the sidestand switch (stand up), it will cut the ignition unless it sees a ground from the neutral switch.

Rob

post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2007, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, Rob your response on this is amazing. Thanks for taking your time for me. Ilovheros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode