Great brakes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Great brakes

I'd like to report that my 9er has great brakes. Proved it again this morning. Some jack a-ses around here can't read and they think yeild means: Hey man thanks for making the panic stop so I can drive on thru your right of way!! That's the 2nd time in two weeks. I stopped so hard it got hung up in hi gear. They grinned and waved as they blew past, plus I nearly got rear ended. Man that burns my but up. Only upgrade is Galfer.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Glad to hear your ok , gotta watch those cagers , they just dont care. str8

post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Milites Gregarius

Just wait till your brakes start howling, then you'll hate your brakes!!

post #4 of 16 Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've always been impressed by the brakes on the 9er, even the stock ones which I still have.

And no howl.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Howl

My ZRX used to howl in cool weather, so far 3,600 miles no howl.

[
post #6 of 16 Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Aquilifer

i think the front tire is the weakest link in the braking system. i still "push" mine while warming the rear hide at the track from time to time, and that's on a pretty sticky surface.

anyone who is dissatisfied with their 919 brakes probably bought the wrong bike: they work for ANYTHING that this bike was remotely meant to do. heck, i removed half of my front brakes and the remainder slows me quite nicely from 134 mph repeatedly.

post #7 of 16 Old 09-08-2007, 02:42 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
8000 miles, nary a squeek! I agree that the 919 brakes have more than enough stopping power for the capabilities of the bike, really have never had a complaint.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 09:25 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Mine howled a bunch when she was younger, but lately I think she's gotten tired of complaining. My solution was if they squeak, just abuse the crap out of them until they shut up. I don't recall hearing a peep from the brakes for maybe the last 5000 miles I've put on it, but that probably means she'll start squealing again on the way home today.

post #9 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

The 919 definately has GREAT brakes, even if mine started howling about 1000 miles ago and haven't stopped since

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 03:23 PM
My Bad

What is this "howling" you speak of?

Should I expect this "howling" ?(other than all the chicks who see me riding and want ssssome. )

Had some squeeking, but only because I got caught in the rain. It's gone now.

post #11 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Milites Gregarius

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

Here is the howling I'm talking about.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 03:47 PM
My Bad

A new slogan - Loud Brakes Save Lives?

That could get annoying. What's the mechanical diagnosis for that? Brake pads get hot, harden, and squeel?

post #13 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Milites Gregarius

Mine has done this since it had about 150 miles on it. I am in the process of arbitration(buyback) has we speak. During the last year I have owned my bike it has been in the shop nine times with a total of 74 days out of service. so far they have replaced the pads 3 times and the rotors twice. Replacing the rotors makes the noise go away for 1000 - 2000 miles but it always returns. The bike has been at the dealer for the past 6 weeks and all they have done is road test the bike 4 miles and measure run out on the rotors, from this they decided the rotors need to be bead blasted. So the service manger took my rotors and pads home on wednesday and said the bike would be ready today(friday). I called them from work this morning only to find out that the service manger is on vacation for a week and he still has my parts! This is by far the worst service I have recieved in my life and I am undecided if I will be buying another honda period!!! And this is a serious mistake considering I own 3 honda 4 wheelers, a honda 3 wheeler, a honda civic, and the 919 of course.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
My Bad

Wow... that is really too bad. I love honda for their reliability, but these service stories suck. I've always owned honda too, dirtbikes up to the 919, and love'em.
So what are they telling you is wrong? I mean, how can these brakes do this, while tons of other bikes with extremely similar brakes don't? Seems strange.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Milites Gregarius

They say the brakes are glazing. This is my thought also, but what they aren't doing is trying to figure out why they are glazing. Its like they are trying to fix the problem but not paying any attention to the cause of the problem. I think the problem lies in the brake lines, more specifically that little y splitter, but they don't listen and keep blindly attacking the rotors.

My best idea is maybe the lines are internally deteriating causing unequal pressure on the rotors. But now a days it is hard to find a tech that can fix anything that isn't written out in a TSB or service manual. And like I said they have done maybe 15 minutes of work in 6 WEEKS!!! Kinda goes back to the fact that the weakest link(dealer) can ruin a reputation(manufacturer).

post #16 of 16 Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Milites Gregarius

In case in one is wondering the runout on my rotors is .005" on the worst one, this falls within hondas specs of .012" and none of my floaters are loose. So this proves abuse is not what is happening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode