Graphite Exhaust Gasket? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 AM
bungee

Graphite Exhaust Gasket?

Hi All....
I have a CB900, Hornet, 919... whatever you want to call it and i am changing the standard cans for Staintune's. The problem is i am leaving the standard "Y" and there is graphite gaskets in the OEM exhausts, i managed to remove one but i have damaged it, is this a "standard" gasket product or do i need to buy specific gasket from Honda?

thanks for your help

Bungee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If the Staintune cans are manufactured like other aftermarket cans you do not need the exhaust gaskets. If the cans are slotted which I think they are just tighten them with the supplied clamps and your good to go.

Welcome aboard...

post #3 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 06:42 AM
bungee

Thanks, it says in the instructions "when fitting the staintune mufflers the graphite gaskets in the lead tube will need to be re-used"
The staintunes have 3 slots, but are very loose and i think it would take a fair bit of tightening. should i just tighten them anyway and not worry about the gasket?

thanks

Ben

post #4 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I would tighten them, it can't hurt. If you have exhaust leaks try some High - Temp. RTV silicone gasket maker or buy a couple of OEM Honda gaskets.

post #5 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Sweepuk

I replaced the gaskets - only cost £6 each from my dealer.

post #6 of 17 Old 06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
bungee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepuk
I replaced the gaskets - only cost £6 each from my dealer.
Probably a good idea, i might see if i can get some today

post #7 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 02:09 PM
bungee

Well... I bought some 360 degree vulcinising tape, wrapped it around the leader pipe and then placed the new mufflers over the top of them and viola! all done!
The staintune look good and sound good, i have removed the baffles for now, and i will see if it gets too much or not...

post #8 of 17 Old 06-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Ventura rack and Givi fairing. I can relate.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 17 Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Question Which GIVI? - Bungie or HondaJim

I'm looking at adding a GIVI windscreen to my 2006 for my highway commute. Which version do you guys have on your bikes. A response from a GIVI rep said either the 240 or the 755. I prefer the cleaner (no extra paint) look of the 240... but not sure how it performs compared to the 755.

Would appreciate some comments and suggestions.

Stiggy8

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I've got the 755. Came painted to match the asphalt black on my 9er. I like it. Cannot speak for the 240. The 755 installs in about 5 minutes.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 17 Old 06-09-2006, 02:25 PM

HondaJim, quick question about your Givi fairing: Did you have to buy an installation kit to mount that fairing?

post #12 of 17 Old 06-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Talking Thanks for the Info HondaJim

Got your response on the windshield. Did you pay extra for the matching paint or was that one of their stock colors? My 06 is red so not sure if they can suppy that on the 755.

I'll have to send them an email.
Regards

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 AM
bungee

Being a black bike i was lucky, as the 'raw' fairing was a matt black, it matched the Seat (now covered with a sheepskin cover) I am not sure of the model number, i like the look of the bike without it, realitly is, i commute on the freeway nearly everyday.... hence the Rack and the Screen....

post #14 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

I had mine installed at the Givi tent one year in Daytona. Not sure if the installation kit was extra or not, they quoted the price as a total, installed. Was already painted to match the asphalt color of my '02. I know they had a red one at the time, but that was in '02 when I first got the bike.

post #15 of 17 Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thanks HJ,
I'll shoot them a quick email and find out if they color match per model year. I would have to guess that they don't... too many colors out there! But you just never know.

Appreciate the feedback.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Tyrone

stiggy8 did you ever get your Givi windscreen?

I bought the A755 in Gloss Silver w/ A256A adapter kit but just didn't care for the un-naked look of the bike. Mine is for sale. I don't want to highjack this thread with a sale so if you're interested give me a pm or email me at [email protected] , I'm in Jacksonville, FL.

post #17 of 17 Old 06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Thanks for the thought... shot you a quick email.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Pass it on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode