givi top rack install probs - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

givi top rack install probs

hey guys, i tried to install my givi toprack yesterday but ran into something baffling and am hoping those of you with the givi racks could help me some pointers.

the lowest mount point where the longest bolts screw into the 919 itself is where i'm having a problem with. looking at the instructions, there appears to be a spacer that should already be there (it's not on my bike) that the bolt goes through and then threads into the bike itself?

i've tried mounting the givi rack without a spacer but the mounting point just hits the lip of the undertail and gives me a good 3/4 inch space between the actual piece being screwed into and the mounting point. there are no extra spacers in the givi kit, i'm pretty confused at this point. am i indeed missing something? if so, could i jus run over to a dealer and get them? thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Imaginifer

I believe I know what you are talkinga bout. Yes, there are spacers that mount inbetween the rack and the tail itself. You should have been supplied with longer bolts and these spacers.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Pvster bought that rack used off of Ebay...it may not have come with that spacer...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #4 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 PM
imagepix

I purchased my from Twisted Throttle and it came with spacers and it's own hardware to mount. I did not use any of the original hardware. Hope the photo helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda CB900F 919 - Giva Plate.jpg (48.2 KB, 41 views)

post #5 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

sorry guys, that's not what i'm talking about. lets give this another crack lol. as far as i can tell, the kit is brand new, the hardware bags were not even opened.

the mounting point i'm talking about is under the seat inside the tail section. i went to the honda dealer today to look at a microfiche and they said no, there is no spacer there from the factory, so i'm a bit miffed. i'll take pictures if i need to.

post #6 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

post a pic if you can, I have the Givi rack and do not remember any spacers. It was a juggling act to get everything together, the rack, cowel and then get the bolts through the rack and exaust into the frame.

post #7 of 12 Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Tirone

My rack came with spacers.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Tirone

have you looked at givi's website and the instructions? what exhaust are you running? that may make a diference.

02 919
07 Bandit 1250 - hers
post #9 of 12 Old 02-21-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

hey deadeye, thanks for the suggestion. i have the exact instructions that is shown on the givi website, but upon further inspection after you mentioned the exhaust issue, i think that's where my problem lies. if you look at where #1 mounts to the frame under the seat using part #5, is where i run into trouble.

http://www.giviusa.com/attachfile/co....man_256fz.pdf

there is a spacer there that appears to be a part of the stock exhaust? i'm running two bros single exhaust with a storage can. neither of the cans use this mounting point, which would explain the issue i'm having.

i wonder, anyone with stock cans, would you mind measuring the spacer for where it mounts to the frame? i could then track down a spacer of the correct size to subsitute the stock cans and solve my issue : ) thoughts? feedback?

post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Attitude is Everything

the spacer that's part of the original exhaust is about 1 inch.

Do or Do Not... There is No Try.

2007 919...Delkevic Stubbies, Carbonfiber Hondaline Wind Screen, Integrated Blinker Mirrors, Brake Light Modulator, Headlight Modulator(soon)
post #11 of 12 Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Hard to tell whether your problem is missing spacers or aftermarket exhaust or both. The hanger on the stock exhausts is quite different from the Sato hangers I've got...when I got a used Givi top rack I had to have a welder re-weld the forward tabs in order to allow the mounting bolt to fit.

Check out this thread... https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...t-exhaust.html

post #12 of 12 Old 02-22-2010, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

hey nemo, i found that thread in my search before i made my post. i've pretty much concluded that it is a spacer issue of which is a part of the original exhaust. i'm going to dig around tomorrow and see what i can find in terms of spacers to fill that gap with the lack of stock exhaust. i'll keep everyone posted.

919chef, thanks!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode