Givi Rack on a 919 - HELP!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2006, 03:13 PM
RobRoten

Givi Rack on a 919 - HELP!!

I just bought the Givi Rack system (Part numbers FZ256/PL256) off of eBay. Can anybody help me out with installation instructions? A .url or a scan and email would be great. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 PM
wphistory

Rob,

They want you to attach the topcase mounting system first. Then the sidecase brackets mount to the topcase mounts and passenger footpeg mounts.

On the topcase mounts, GIVI suggests taking off the grabrail and whatever else would prevent you from sliding the bodywork back far enough to let you get at the bolt on each side that each exhaust hangs from. You are supposed to remove each of those stock bolts and, while supporting the exhaust cannister, insert a longer bolt supplied by GIVI that passes through the hole in the exhaust bracket and the hole in the bracket at the forward end of the topcase mount.

I found it was easier to do this on each side prior to connecting the case mounting plate (big black plastic plate). This also makes it easier to slide the bodywork back forward . You might find it seems as though the topcase mounting "rails" on each side are preventing you from sliding the bodywork back forward, but if you orient them correctly, you will find that it can be done w/o forcing anything. Something to watch for at this stage is proper positioning of the seat lock mechanism "finger"...because if you don't re-position it correctly, everything will appear to be in place, but the latch won't function.

Then reattach the grabrail using the GIVI-supplied bolts and sleeves. I would keep these seated and only loosely tightened until you attach the black plastic mounting plate. Then tighten everything up. Once in place and tightened, this unit is very strong.

This is from memory....but will easily get you in the right neighborhood. My instructions assume you have all the hardware originally supplied by GIVI with the mounts, and that this is for fitment with the stock exhaust. My impression was that the installation was much harder or impossible with some aftermarket exhausts.

If you get the top mounting system installed, I think you will see how the side mounts attach to it. On the side cases, the only anomaly I found was that there is a supplied short metal tube that is supposed to connect the left and right side case racks back by the license plate. I could never get mine to line up perfectly. Half the time I used a substitute "connector tube" I cut from PVC tubing and painted black, and half the time I didn't use anything to connect the racks back there. After using the luggage system for thousands of miles I found it really didn't make any difference because the rest of the fitment system is very strong.

I hope some of this helps you. If you have any questions, let me know....maybe someone will supply the actual instructions....

post #3 of 5 Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 AM
RobRoten

Thanks WP... Can you enlighten me on how the side racks attach to the passenger foot rests? I can probably figure it out but, given spacers, etc, etc., it's a whole lot easier with a little guidance...

whoomah

post #4 of 5 Old 12-16-2006, 10:47 AM
wphistory

Rob,

Here is the deal with the side racks:

Remove the bolts that hold each passenger's footpeg to the rearset bracket. GIVI wants you to use the two bolts they supply with the racks. These are gray buttonhead bolts, and are different diameters (the thicker one goes on the left bracket), but each is about 2.250" in length. Insert these GIVI bolts just like you were re-installing the passenger footpegs, and get them inserted all the way down. Use then washers where it looks appropriate.

(On the thinner bolt (right hand side, I think) there is a nut with a neck on it to hold this bolt to the footpeg bracket. Make sure the neck is pointing down. Attach the thicker bolt to the left-side footpeg bracket with the nut supplied.)

You should now see that the GIVI bolt on either side does what the stock passenger's footpeg bolt originally did, but that each extends a distance lower than the stock items. These protruding "stems" capture the hole in the end of the extended "arm" each of the the sidecase racks has. Once put into proper position over each "stem", use the remaining bolt to attach the rack assembly to it on each side.

This will be easier to do if you loosely attach the top of the side rack to the topcase rack up near the luggage latch before you try to make the final connections between the new footpeg bolts and the fitment holes on the sidecase racks referenced in the paragraphs above.

As said previously, this is from memory, and not guaranteed to be precise factory spec, but it will take you in the right direction. Check everything over....If things are right, you will find you've put together a very firm mounting system for your luggage.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

post #5 of 5 Old 12-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Team Hornet

Not sure if this is too late, but here you go...

Let me know if you need any more info, I fitted mine today .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg givi rack instructions.jpg (609.3 KB, 76 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode