Getting to know the 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Getting to know the 919

Almost 500 mile ride today - finally getting to know the bike. First long ride since I brought home last Sunday night. Maybe 700 total. Something like 150 of those miles today were with a pretty quick group on some nice curvey SW Wis roads. It will take some time to see how I feel about the front end - so far so good for cross between sport and touring. Maybe just new fork oil this winter - we'll see.

The motor responds great. What a blast. And those DandD pipes are LOUD! Gonna call tomorrow to see about a baffle option to get some more back pressure - doesn't look like it though. Oh well, they came on the bike and sound great - certainly can live with them over stock.

Ergos are great and that little NC shield does a great job keep air off my entire chest and no buffeting at the helmet. Loving it so far. Givi will likely provide the top box option for two up and touring to the Southwest next summer.

Great little bike, fun motor, and a ton of potential.

Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

On two wheels:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Glad you're loving it! Just made a deal on some Race Tech .90kg front springs. There is a ton of info on here about fork oil and springs. Just use that search function and immerse yourself in other peoples knowledge.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 AM
Tesserarius

I came from a less sport orientated bike and it definitely took me a little while to get used. Just how much sharper the steering is was the hardest thing for me to get used to

It definitely helped me going for a ride with some other sport bikes. i still hung at the back, but the ride definitely helped me get more comfortable with the bike.. Now, i've ridden 1100 miles to canada, i've worn off my chicken strips, gone down dirt roads, it's a fantastic bike. suspension still needs messing with, i feel like the thing is trying to throw me off over every little bump, my spine must be loving it... that said, i've been lazy about making adjustments, so really only myself to blame.
Enjoy!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

The 919 is indeed a versatile bike. My choice was not based on potential for lateral G's or keeping up with other sport bike riders but rather every aspect of that versatility. I wanted that lightweight feel and nimble road manners in a bake you have to actually ride and not just sit on and steer. Of course the grunt on demand at the right grip brings on an ear to ear grin. I also wanted that Honda dependability in a platform I could easily tailor to my own needs and confidently watch state lines approach and disappear in my mirror. I couldn't be more pleased.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Tesserarius

Ken,
your suspension mods make me wonder just how much off road i can get away with before a...."Oops." to my headers or suspension. haha. mostly stick to unpaved/gravel though so not really too big a deal as long as you dodge the occasional big pothole i guess. I also just have PR4s on, and won't give up the street traction by switching to a dual sport tire.. but damn is this thing fun to explore on.

I too got it for the versatility. I miss the character my triumph had, and i keep drooling over ducati monsters.. but versatility of the niner can't be beat.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
I too got it for the versatility. I miss the character my triumph had, and i keep drooling over ducati monsters.. but versatility of the niner can't be beat.
You know what they say, "one bike is never enough."
post #7 of 8 Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ken,
your suspension mods make me wonder just how much off road i can get away with before a...."Oops." to my headers or suspension. haha. mostly stick to unpaved/gravel though so not really too big a deal as long as you dodge the occasional big pothole i guess. I also just have PR4s on, and won't give up the street traction by switching to a dual sport tire.. but damn is this thing fun to explore on.
Exactly. I just meander down a dirt road once in a while. What I have done to the bike seems to be enough for me, especially now that I have this shoulder to nurse. I originally planned to reroute the pipes and add a bash plate but that's not as important now. I'm more likely to add an aux fuel supply and I'm looking seriously at a Pro Oiler for those long days in the saddle.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Ken,

I'm also a new owner of the 9er and also got it for the versatility and better ergos than my previous bike, a 954. I have to admit, at first it felt kind of weak and not so well sorted, compared to the 954 that is. However, the 954 wasn't that much fun at anything resembling quasi legal speeds and was a real bitch in traffic (not allowed to lane split here in Canada - and sitting on a cramped, hot sport bike in the traffic is not fun!). The 9er is a funner bike at lower speeds - maybe because you actually feel how fast you are going? Would be nice to have better suspension, though...

2005 Honda CB919F
2003 Honda CBR954RR (sold)
1990's Suzuki TS200 (sold)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 750R (sold)
1984 Kawasaki GPz 550 (sold)
Dirt Bikes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode