Gearing down three gears - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Gearing down three gears

I have a 919 Hornet and my problem is:

Sometimes When I downshift three gears while only pressing the clutch once (and the bike is still moving) the gears wont go down anymore , at ehich time I have to release the clutch and press again and everthing is ok.

Am I doing wrong by downshifting with a single clutch press (always clutch pressed and bike still moving) ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 AM
CB900

I find the clutch needs to be released through each change down. If I stop at the lights without changing down while moving it doesnt like it, then the clunk is huge when shifting into first, so I always try for 1st before I stop.

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #3 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

This happens while moving. And long live the number of the beast (IRONMAIDEN FAN TOO)

post #4 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 06:15 AM
pew pew pew

how fast are you going when this happens?

post #5 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 06:35 AM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

mine will do this sometimes while stopped. if i don't shift down approaching a light or stop sign it doesn't like to go back into 1st gear. don't think i've had this problem while moving.

post #6 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob0 View Post
how fast are you going when this happens?

when decelerating at approx 40kmh

post #7 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 AM
hairball919

Yeah, what the heck is up with these 919 shifters/gears? I find this a LOT! If I shift into neutral at a long light, sometimes I can't get it back into 1st without freakin' stomping on the gear lever! Hey, when people behind you start honking it's hard to flip them off if you have the clutch lever pulled in with one hand and on the throttle with the other! But seriously, I find this problem is quite frequent. Is something wrong with my bike specifically or is this common? It's embarassing. Really, a brand new shiney bike that won't go into gear! So I remedy the problem by NEVER shifting into neutral at a light anymore. The dead stop situation is the ONLY time I have trouble shifting. It seems to always shift quite easily at any rpm or speed. In fact, I'm sorta proud of how the 919 (at least mine) NEVER misses a gear when getting on it! When I was a kid I used to laugh when I heard other riders get on it and miss a gear. But now that I'm grown up and I'm semi-mature, I don't find it funny anymore, especially if it were to happen to me! Thankfully, it hasn't happened even once since I got the bike. Yep, it shifts EASY when you're rolling. It's that stopped-at-the-long-lights-and-not-going-back-into-1st syndrome that pissed ME off! Back in the old days, when I had used bikes with more miles on them, when this happened I would just kill the bike, shift into gear, then start it again. Instant problem solving! But with a brand new bike you shouldn't have to go through all that.

I'm going to follow THIS thread to my death!

post #8 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you are stopped at the light in neutral and hold the clutch in the shafts in the trans stop spinning and some times will not remesh easily. The simple solution is to let out the clutch if your going to sit in neutral. When the light gets close to changing, pull the clutch in and shift to first. If it does not go in easily at that point something is wrong and should be looked at.

post #9 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

went on a ride today with scgstuff and paid close attention to see if my bike did any of the above and i had no problems even when shifting from 6 - 1 with one pull of the clutch. i sometimes have the problem of not going into first when stopped from neutral. seems crazy beacause i park in neutral and don't have a problem going into first after the bike has been cut off and restarted (maybe it does since someone else did this to remedy the bike not going into first)

post #10 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
it's a honda, not a bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76blade View Post
I have a 919 Hornet and my problem is:

Sometimes When I downshift three gears while only pressing the clutch once (and the bike is still moving) the gears wont go down anymore , at ehich time I have to release the clutch and press again and everthing is ok.

Am I doing wrong by downshifting with a single clutch press (always clutch pressed and bike still moving) ?

Thanks
Yep, you're doing it wrong.

Click through each of the gears, problem solved.

Also, shift like you mean it! It's a Honda it won't break.

post #11 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 04:39 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Mine shifts quite smoothly. Maybe I'm just used to shifting with a little more aggression due to the years of riding a CR125R

Something else to note about the gearbox... My brother-in-law brings his '07 CBR600RR over quite a bit. with his sitting still, engine off, you can grab the shifter and run it through 3 or 4 gears without the clutch with no problem at all. On the 919 I'm lucky to go through 2. I guess the 600RR is a much closer ratio? His isn't as smooth on the road as the 9er though.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #12 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM
dr1
dr1

mine gets stuck like that all the time.. 6 through 3rd ive come to expect I will have to release the clutch each time.. its gotten me looking like a fool sometimes when I've had to come to an abrubt stop and my bike will not shift gears as fast as I need it to!

Ive also come to terms that I will miss 2nd, on a regular basis, no matter what I do

My 81 exhibits very similar behavior.. honestly I think its a Honda thing, and most people here just happen to ride hondas and are accustomed to it.. ive not experienced this on anyone elses bike ive ridden.. I got on a friends KTM once and couldnt stop myself skipping a gear, I just thought there was no way in hell it could have shifted that smoothly

I honestly think the shifting on MY 919 is probably why it traded 3 owners hands in a measly 3000 miles before I got it

post #13 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

oddly enough as bad as i kick the sh!!t out of my bike i never have any problems with the shifting....

maybe its scared to make me mad...lol... i might get rough with it...

post #14 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyrock View Post
mine will do this sometimes while stopped. if i don't shift down approaching a light or stop sign it doesn't like to go back into 1st gear. don't think i've had this problem while moving.
Move your bike back or forward just a couple of inches and it will go right in. My father bought a 1965 CB450 (the original Black Bomber) and it sometimes needed to be rocked a couple of inches to get it into neutral or from neutral to first. My 9'er doesn't do what you're describing but try it and let us know.

O:\General Info\member1804.jpg
post #15 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Move your bike back or forward just a couple of inches and it will go right in.
+1 Mine occasionally hits an awkward spot and doesn't want to go in

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #16 of 29 Old 03-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
+1 Mine occasionally hits an awkward spot and doesn't want to go in
stoppit.. just... stop.... milk shot out my nose..... and i aint drinking any....

post #17 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

If you don't like the 9ers gearbox, go take a Buell for a test ride.

The Honda will feel 100X better after you get back on her.

post #18 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
hairball919

Thanks for the advice. I do let out on the clutch after I go into neutral, which is why I go to neutral: so I don't have to hold the clutch in while I sit. I just figured maybe it was because the bike is so new and the internal parts are quite broken in or worn enough to engage smoothly every time. If it keeps up or gets worse I'll take it to a shop. Like I said, it's not any everyday thing, but when it happens it's pretty annoying. Sometimes I've tried to go up to 2nd first then back to 1st, but if it is being stubborn it won't go into 2nd OR 1st without a lot of effort. For now I guess I'll just keep it in first for awhile. The dealer I got the bike from is going to tell me, as they've done with EVERY issue I've had, the nothing is wrong. They always tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. Like the loud ticking when it's cold for about the first half hour of riding. Sounds like noisy lifters in a car engine, but they say they can't hear anything and my friend says his sounds the same and nothing is wrong with it. But he did say the dealer told him the ticking is normal.

post #19 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

this might not be your issue but the injectors are load on these bikes. i have not paid much attention to them so if someone else can follow up on this that would be great. 3 reason i dont listen to it. 1 cant hear it over the pipes. 2 im damn near deaf anyways. 3 when i ride i use earplugs.

post #20 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
Like the loud ticking when it's cold for about the first half hour of riding. Sounds like noisy lifters in a car engine, but they say they can't hear anything and my friend says his sounds the same and nothing is wrong with it. But he did say the dealer told him the ticking is normal.
I also hear ticking...but I wouldn't call it loud. I took my automotive stethoscope and poked around on the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the injectors to me.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #21 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Tire abuser

Sometimes I blip the throttle as I downshift. I like to be able to shift with just a little pressure from the edge of my sole - I never have problems on the 919, but I think that is at least partly due to little habits I have picked up to prevent being stuck in neutral. I put the bike in neutral at almost every red light and sometimes I have to roll the bike backwards about 6" as I shift down to first. I have seen bikes with shift shafts that have been twisted off by panicky shifting (not a 919) so I don't like to force it too much. Some combo of throttle, clutch jiggling, and rolling backwards always seems to let it shift easily.

post #22 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the good advise. Guess I try to disengage the clutch every gear

post #23 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prtsimmons View Post
Sometimes I blip the throttle as I downshift.
It's called rev matching, I do this all the time.
rev-matching.

One other thing to look out for: I sometimes hit a false neutral, I think between 4th & 5th gear?
It's hella scary finding yourself coasting a high speeds, make sure to push the shifter up with your toe until it clicks or you might experience it too.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Milites Gregarius

I don't think you should have to release the lever between every gear on a downshift. I know I don't do that. The only problem I've ever had is if I don't shift as I slow down. If I end up stopped in 3rd gear then I doesn't want to shift. A little rev usually lets it shift but you shouldn't be in that situation anyway. It's just something I did a couple times when I first got the bike.

post #25 of 29 Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

I shift to first just as I stop or just after I've stopped at a light. Goes right in. But I don't shift to neutral – I just hold the clutch. Am I missing something in my 47 years of two wheel riding? I've never heard anyone suggest shifting to neutral before – advantages/disadvantages?

O:\General Info\member1804.jpg
post #26 of 29 Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
hairball919

I only do it when I come to a light that I know is long. So I can take my hand off the clutch lever and relax it for a moment (after all, on the 919 it gets used a LOT). I don't go into neutral at every light, just the long ones. And less and less often since sometimes it dosen't want to go into gear again. I can honestly say one thing about the 919 that I've noticed since I got it: it's one of the EASIEST bikes to shift, up AND down, of any bike I've ridden or owned. Really. No matter how fast I go through the gears or downshift, it goes right into the next gear with ease! But this seems to only be true when rolling and not idling at lights.

post #27 of 29 Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM
919>food>beer

The good ol MSF course would be yelling at you for shifting into netural at a stop... you should keep it in gear in case some one tries to run your arse over, not that folks ever do that to bikes or anything.

post #28 of 29 Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM
hairball919

I know, I know.

I even read that in the Motorcycle Endorsement Manual for Washington State. But hey, I almost never go into neutral until I am fully aware that the vehicle coming up behind me is indeed going to come to a complete stop.

I just find that while sitting at a long light is the best time to make any adjustments to mirrors, visor, helmet, suit/jacket, velcro on legs, etc. plus give your clutch hand a break.

Until this problem is figured out, I'll keep 'er in 1st with the clutch lever pulled in at every light.

post #29 of 29 Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuceWI View Post
Yep, you're doing it wrong.

Click through each of the gears, problem solved.
Big o' +1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode