? Gear Position Indicator for 919? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 27 Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

? Gear Position Indicator for 919?

Hi,

Anyone recommend a digital gear position indicator for the 919? A couple of guys made some up over at SVRider and I was wondering if anyone has come up with one for the 919 on this site.

Or, if you have a commercially manufactured one how do you like the one you have.

Thanks
Manuel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Tirone shoelaces

I have seen one advertised.
The price made it entirely UNinteresting.

post #3 of 27 Old 05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Optio

I have a GearTronic from PZRacing that I paid about $75 for. Came with instructions for a multitude of bikes, the 919 included. Pretty simple set up. Not many folks sell it, though. Found a link to one place

Gear Indicator - PZ Racing Gear Indicator - GearTronic - Indysuperbikes

post #4 of 27 Old 05-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Semper Vigilo

I just installed the Gipro X-type indicator from healtech on mine, it is a bit pricey but it works good. It indicates a dash for Neutral and when the clutch is pulled in. It plugs inline with the speed sensor and also gets a signal from the tach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (53.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (92.7 KB, 74 views)

post #5 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
I have a GearTronic from PZRacing that I paid about $75 for. Came with instructions for a multitude of bikes, the 919 included. Pretty simple set up. Not many folks sell it, though. Found a link to one place

Gear Indicator - PZ Racing Gear Indicator - GearTronic - Indysuperbikes
Any pictures of yours, the web site dosent have a piture?

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #6 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Do people actually use it? I have never understood it.
If your revs are too high, shift up, if too low, shift down.

What advantage is there in having a display?

All I can think of is to let you know you are in 6th and there are no more gears? I guess I would think most people would already know that.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Semper Vigilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
Do people actually use it? I have never understood it.
If your revs are too high, shift up, if too low, shift down.

What advantage is there in having a display?

All I can think of is to let you know you are in 6th and there are no more gears? I guess I would think most people would already know that.
It's personal preference. It's nice to glance down and see what gear you are in, regardless of what RPM you're at.
My brother's 1985 V65 has the built in factory indicator, what would have been so hard for Honda to put it on the new bikes?

post #8 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Ballaholic

the only time i think it would come in handy is when your coming to a stop light so you know when your near neutral

post #9 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I find it helpful if you oscillate between a five speed and six speed gearbox. The 919 and the ST 1300 in my case.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Just this morning while on the way to work I had tothink if I was in 6th or 5th. Pulled in the clutch and what do you know I was in 6th. RPMs just seemed alittle high for 75mph and I was about 15 or so min on the 30min super-slab ride. Would have been nice to just look down and see a big digital 6 stareing at me.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

OK... I guess and by all means do what you like... I just dont see it.
$75 -$100 to prevent me from pulling in my clutch and saying to myself... oh, I'm in 6th.

And for just glancing down to see what gear you are in... if you thought 5th and it says 6th, would you shift? Or vice versa? I guess it is a 'gadget' and some people like them. I personally like the minimalist nature of naked bikes.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #12 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Aquilifer

i've raced my 2003 919..."The Tinman" with an open exhaust for 3 or 4 years. i'd street ridden it with an open exhaust (and typically no helmet/hearing protection) a fair bit too.

riding my stock 2004 and wearing a helmet, i recently caught myself feeling detached from the bike. not hearing the exhaust note is weird to me. until that point last week, i'd never really thought about gear indicators.

post #13 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Optio

I like having a gear indicator just because I'm absentminded. Once in a while I'm rolling up on a stop light and can't remember what gear I was in. If I'm already hitting the brakes and downshifting it's not always easy to tell in a split second from speed/rpm exactly what gear I'm in.

I'm not a track guru by any means, but I did find it useful there, as well, which is what I think the thing is actually meant for. Anyway, it is made in Italy. Here's a link to the manufacturer's page:

:: Welcome to PZRacing ::

Here's an image of it on my bike. I have it on the tach. You can't tell from the angle, but I can see the needle all the way to redline.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Milites Gregarius

I have an Accumen unit. I think no matter how good a rider you are you might still lose track of what gear you are in from time to time.
The guys I know that race have them on their track bikes.
When racing, it's important to be in the right gear at certain points on the track (corners)
I find it convenient on the road.I found myself looking for another gear sometimes on my 919.
Now I have an 09 Bandit 1250. I moved the gear indicator to my new bike.

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #15 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I agree that rpms are the best indicator if you are in the right gear for the speed while you're moving, but I can't tell you how many times I've slowed down to take a right-hand turn in the city with the clutch in and I'm trying to remember if I've downshifted into third or second.

That's a great time to have a gear indicator. Nothing like lugging a motor around a 90 degree turn.

post #16 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
I agree that rpms are the best indicator if you are in the right gear for the speed while you're moving, but I can't tell you how many times I've slowed down to take a right-hand turn in the city with the clutch in and I'm trying to remember if I've downshifted into third or second.

That's a great time to have a gear indicator. Nothing like lugging a motor around a 90 degree turn.
A good point, and also to point out the difference between the high-priced units and the less expensive one like mine. As I understand it, most OEM gear indicators and the expensive aftermarket units work on a signal from the ECU that directly reads what gear you're in. My inexpensive unit taps into the tach and speedo to calculate your gear based on RPM and speed.

The difference between the two shows up when you clutch it. On an OEM/expensive GPI, the correct gear continues to appear until you actually shift. On my inexpensive calculating GPI, pulling in the clutch throws it all out of whack. When the RPMs suddenly drop but the bike is still going fast, the GPI has no idea what gear you're actually in. So, if I don't know what gear I'm in, I better take a quick peek before I engage the clutch; otherwise, I'm still lost. It's really no big deal, but that's why the cheaper units are cheaper.

On a side note: After installing the speed/RPM type of gear indicator, you have to calibrate it for your bike. This means putting it up on a rear stand and running it through all the gears around 3000 rpm. I was not real excited about having the bike running 3k rpm in 6th gear on my stand, as you can imagine. I had all sorts of visions of the bike catapulting through the garage wall. Got it done without incident, but I'd recommend a pretty solid stand before attempting.

post #17 of 27 Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm with you. I'd be a little concerned about spinning the motor up to 3k with the bike in 6th while on a swingarm stand. One slip and look out...... The stuff of nightmares.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Milites Gregarius

I'm not worried about what gear I'm in except when I'm in top gear. I constantly find myself checking to see if I'm in the top gear. I've done this on every bike I've ever owned. I think it's stupid they don't put an indicator on most bikes. It could take up an inch of space and probably cost them $5. I noticed the BMWS1000RR has a gear indicator......

post #19 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
I'm with you. I'd be a little concerned about spinning the motor up to 3k with the bike in 6th while on a swingarm stand. One slip and look out...... The stuff of nightmares.
I calibrated mine by riding down a quiet road. I took less than a kilometre of road for the unit to learn the gear positions. This is the method recommended by Accumen.
6th gear at 3000 rpm on a stand sounds a bit scary to me.
This is one of the cheap ones that works by comparing road speed to RPM.
It doesn't show gear changes instantaneously, but for me it does the job.

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #20 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Does anyone know which ones show the gear from the ecu instead of speed/revs?

post #21 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

Here is a link to Accumen in case anyone is interested.
Welcome to Acumen Electronics

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #22 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Does anyone know which ones show the gear from the ecu instead of speed/revs?
The healtech GI Pro x-type fits Hondas and reads directly from the ecu. Costs about $135 compared to $75 for the speed/rpm types.

On calibration, I live in Dallas and would've had to ride for at least an hour to find a road deserted enough to cruise through each gear for 20-30 seconds without interruption or traffic. Too much trouble. Doing it on the stand made me nervous to think about but was actually no big deal. Thing never even budged all the way through the gears. Doesn't mean my hand was ever far from the kill switch, though. Lol.

post #23 of 27 Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 AM
Milites Gregarius

Here's a link to a review of the GI Pro.

HealTech GIpro Gear Indicator - webBikeWorld

Jeff

09 Bandit 1250
post #24 of 27 Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007BruteForece View Post
It's personal preference. It's nice to glance down and see what gear you are in, regardless of what RPM you're at.
My brother's 1985 V65 has the built in factory indicator, what would have been so hard for Honda to put it on the new bikes?
I'd certainly trade the built in clock for one!

O:\General Info\member1804.jpg
post #25 of 27 Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Milites Gregarius

Here's the link to PZRacing
:: Welcome to PZRacing ::

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #26 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Tesserarius

Okay you're barrelling down the road at a good clip and you make a tight left or right after hacking down a few gear and want to pull away nicely only to find you're in third instead of second, and suddenly you look like a real Dork, motor lugging, no acceleration, thinking, "If I had a Gear indicator, that wouldn't have just happened"
Right then the FZ1 goes screaming by in second, laughing and pointing!
'Nough said.

post #27 of 27 Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Okay you're barrelling down the road at a good clip and you make a tight left or right after hacking down a few gear and want to pull away nicely only to find you're in third instead of second, and suddenly you look like a real Dork, motor lugging, no acceleration, thinking, "If I had a Gear indicator, that wouldn't have just happened"
Right then the FZ1 goes screaming by in second, laughing and pointing!
'Nough said.
if you cant count down how many gears you shift while preparing to go into a corner hot.. you aint payin close enough attention....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode