Gas leak 07 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gas leak 07 919

Hey guys, I am in need of your help here! Came home from work, bike was sitting in the shade covered with a waterproof cover. I noticed a puddle under the bike and turns out it is gas. Filled up the bike a couple of days prior to this and only rode 65 miles on a full tank. The rest is gone!!! gas light came on when I turned the key and the bike started up fine but the leak is still there under the bike. Please help, what can it be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Princeps Prior

Your best bet is to lift the tank and do a visual inspection. You may have had a line come loose or the fuel pressure regulator could have went bad.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 03:34 PM
The Cripple

Oh boy....

I've been here too many times to count. I feel your pain.

To start, make sure all of your vent/drain hoses are not clogged and pressure moves freely. Secondly, check to make sure your fuel lights are tightened down appropriately as called for in the manual. Thirdly, check to make sure your fuel pump bolts are torqued properly (too much can cause too many issues!) and that your fuel pump gasket is sealing good. Fourthly, check to make sure your gas tank doesn't have any cracks. You can do this by doing a visual inspection including on the underside.

Did your gas tank expand/contract to the point where the gas tank is warped? I'm sure others will chime in as well.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you for the responses guys. What is a fuel pressure regulator look like? I lifted the tank and looked underneath. All the hoses seem to be connected and the gas seems to be coming from the round metal cap right underneath the gas tank in the center. It has a rubber gasket under the cap and I think that's what went bad.

post #5 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

This is what I'm talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1440974483128.jpg (80.1 KB, 40 views)

post #6 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I have figured it out guys. All the gaskets and hoses are good. The underneath of the gas tank has a stress fracture/pinch that has gas leaking out of. How do I get this fixed? Please help, I am in San Marcos, north San Diego county. Any help is appreciated!

post #7 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 04:54 PM
RIDE RED

Easiest is new tank time otherwise remove it and find somebody brave enough to braze it but then you may have paint issues anyways good luck

post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 05:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makar919 View Post
I have figured it out guys. All the gaskets and hoses are good. The underneath of the gas tank has a stress fracture/pinch that has gas leaking out of. How do I get this fixed? Please help, I am in San Marcos, north San Diego county. Any help is appreciated!
Eww it sounds like you need a new tank or have the old one welded up.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Oops. Shity deal. You could try letting it dry and smear on some JB weld.

Spoiler:

post #10 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 05:51 PM
The Cripple

Looks like you had a vent issue that resulted in pressure building up and the gas tank expanded/contracted which caused the fracture/pinch. It looks like it is in an area that is easily welded.

Drain your tank completely, cork up both openings and pour in a diluted mix of rubbing alcohol. 2:1 works well. Swish it around a bunch of times, open the top and let it sit for a few hours, cork it back up and swish it around a bunch, empty it out, let it air out for a couple of days and see if you can smell any fuel. If you can still smell fuel, repeat the process. When you for sure cannot smell any fuel fumes, hunt down a welding shop who can weld it up for you. Should cost no more than $60-80. The hard part will be finding someone who's willing to take a crack at it as people freak out as soon as they hear "gas tank" and "weld" in the same sentence.

The other option is to just buy another tank.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Best bet is to buy a new one, then sell the old on eBay to someone who wants to attempt the repair. You might recoup some of your costs of a new tank.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Frankly, it is easy to weld on a fuel tank without a long drawn out flushing process. All you (or the welder doing the work) need is a source of inert gas to purge the tank of oxygen. No oxygen, no combustion. I have done this many times without a single fuel grenade going off, even with fuel still in the tank. Commonly, I go to a party supply and get the smallest tank of helium they have. It works like a charm. Of course you will want to drain all remaining fuel out, but given the huge hole left when the fuel pump is removed that's a cinch.

Naturally the welding will burn out any coating on the inside of the tank, and if you can get to the location of the crack through the fuel pump hole I'd advise removing any coating to allow proper penetration of the weld.

If you want to epoxy up the crack I would not advise using JB weld: it will be degraded by continuous contact with gasoline. A more permanent solution is Marine Tex epoxy, available at most Marine / boating businesses. It is specifically formulated for resistance to volatiles, and in fact I have patched tanks with it and forgotten all about it for more than ten years without a problem.

Good luck.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM
The Cripple

I agree with you 100% Rob. The problem is finding someone who is willing to even weld a gas tank lol. Why can't you just travel around the country and do all the amazing work for us that you do? Lol.

post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM
RIDE RED

I'm a welder by trade and would be willing we are way too far apart though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode