FZ1 Review... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

FZ1 Review...

So I was able to ride an FZ1 yesterday for about 20 miles and thought I would post up my thoughts, musings, and impressions. My ride consisted of 4 miles of super slab then 16 miles of twisties. The bike had some work done to it consisting of K&N air filter, cat removed, power commander, and the exhaust butterfly valve removed.

The sound of the intake is awesome! It is intoxicating to listen to the intake once you hammer it around 6k rpm! Of course, that is the only sound you hear with the stock exhaust. Without the intake noise, you feel as if you are riding the world's most powerful sewing machine. The bike is clearly more powerful than my Speed Triple. In a stoplight to stoplight run, the fz1 was able to leave the triple once past 70. The bottom end feels incredibly anemic and not much of anything happens until 6,000 rpm but the bike is very stable at high speeds.

Once in the corners, I had great difficulty throwing the bike into tight twisties. The steering felt heavy and not responsive unless I gave it a good pull. Once down, the bike stayed on the line well but didn't have the flick-able nature I have grown accustom to on the S3.

Ergos were a bit bizarre. The stock seat is very uncomfortable the a bulge right in your crack and a plastic but separating the rider and passenger seat poked into my tail bone. The pegs are more cramped than my S3 but the bar was slightly further away and higher. The position made me feel as if I was on top of the bike rather than part of the bike if that makes sense...

Over all I would give this bike a 2 star rating out of 5. The power is good but feels so blah that it isn't exciting to twist the wrist. The all important character of the bike is lacking in every way making the FZ1 a tragically boring ride. The engine is so isolated that (in stock form) you cannot feel any vibes or hear the scream of an engine at high revs.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Aquilifer

There are two iterations of the FZ1, 2001-05 and 06+.

From the ergo's and gutless bottom end, I assume you rode an 06+.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Yes...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Imaginifer

I've been wanting to hop on one to see how it compares.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Now there is no need... Did it for you!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
no max no more

im sure removing the butterfly valve with with a so so map didnt help the power

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

The owner says that he has a bottom end now whereas before he had nothing til 6 grand... Hard to say.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Tesserarius

I test rode a stock 06 then the next day a 919 and well there you have it I went with the 919..

BTW I did own a 03 before and must say I did like that bike, but constant bar vibrations and I wanted something with FI.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ergos are bizzare. It looks like it'd be all day comfy, but after about 20 minutes on my friend's gen 2, I wanted my 600RR back, real bad.

I didn't care for the way it handles. Maybe suspention mods would help.

All that might just be me. The next guy may think it's the greatest. They're very good looking bikes to me. Good build quality. Monster engine once it is uncorked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode