fuel reserve light acting up? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

fuel reserve light acting up?

cple of days ago my fuel reserve light started flashing intermittently and then it just stayed on to and from the commute to class (hr round trip). the troubling thing is that the day before i had already filled the tank up and everything was fine! i have a '02 cb900(919) hornet.

so, what gives?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimi... View Post
cple of days ago my fuel reserve light started flashing intermittently and then it just stayed on to and from the commute to class (hr round trip). the troubling thing is that the day before i had already filled the tank up and everything was fine! i have a '02 cb900(919) hornet.

so, what gives?
It sounds like the Brown/Black fuel sensor wire was rubbing on something grounded long enough to wear through the insulation, contact the conductor and light the low fuel light. A variation on this is the recommended test procedure in the service manual. The flashing would seem to confirm this. Tilt up the tank and inspect the wires from the bottom of the fuel pump mount plate -- there is a metal clamp on the base holding the harness which may have worn through the wire. If you don't find an obvious problem, make sure there is enough fuel to keep the light off and with the tank still up, turn off the kill switch, turn on the key, confirm the light is still on, and disconnect the fuel pump connector. If the light goes out the problem is in the fuel pump harness, the sensor is defective, or there is a short inside the tank. If it stays on, start inspecting the main harness forward for rubbing on anything grounded and do a "wiggle test" -- moving the harness while watching the light. Still on? Continue forward to the headlight shell. You get the idea. If you find no defects in the harness, the warning light panel may have developed an internal defect.
Good luck with this.

By the way: my factory '02 service manual wiring diagram says it's the Brown/Black wire, but the inspection procedure says it's Red/Black. This is the 38th inconsistency in the manual I've found so far. Come on, Honda! I expect better from you!

Rob

post #3 of 8 Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
By the way: my factory '02 service manual wiring diagram says it's the Brown/Black wire, but the inspection procedure says it's Red/Black. This is the 38th inconsistency in the manual I've found so far. Come on, Honda! I expect better from you!
I'm beginning not too expect much. According the service manager at my dealer we muggles ought not have access to such privileged information as is contained in the holy manuals of service. Woe be unto he that approaches the divine perfection of the bike with a multi-meter in hand. Unto hell be he banished forever, the one who dares swap his handlebars to suit his needs.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
It sounds like the Brown/Black fuel sensor wire was rubbing on something grounded long enough to wear through the insulation, contact the conductor and light the low fuel light. A variation on this is the recommended test procedure in the service manual. The flashing would seem to confirm this. Tilt up the tank and inspect the wires from the bottom of the fuel pump mount plate -- there is a metal clamp on the base holding the harness which may have worn through the wire. If you don't find an obvious problem, make sure there is enough fuel to keep the light off and with the tank still up, turn off the kill switch, turn on the key, confirm the light is still on, and disconnect the fuel pump connector. If the light goes out the problem is in the fuel pump harness, the sensor is defective, or there is a short inside the tank. If it stays on, start inspecting the main harness forward for rubbing on anything grounded and do a "wiggle test" -- moving the harness while watching the light. Still on? Continue forward to the headlight shell. You get the idea. If you find no defects in the harness, the warning light panel may have developed an internal defect.
Good luck with this.

Rob

hey, thanks for taking the time.

since my initial post it is still acting up. flickering on/off and/or staying on. i'll take a closer look this wknd.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

This might help.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

my geuss is fuel pump sending unit ( if i went by the manual thats what i would have replaced) it did that to my 07 919 with less than 500 miles. ending up being connection.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

ok, so i've had a closer inspection. although, i'm technically minded and whatnot i'm not that elecrical savvy, unfortunately.

anyhoo, i went for another ride today and the on/off flashing and staying on/off for a period of time is still occuring. great day for a ride, by the way

here are some pics. from my inspection there does not seem to be any "obvious" wear.

i pulled out the earth, as well as the 3 pin connector and firmly put them in place. (IMG_3126.jpg), (IMG_3129.jpg).

i wiggled this and that and nada. will i have to pull that black tape off that surrounds the electrical for further inspection? (IMG_3136.jpg)

here's a pic of the console with engine idling. the reserve full light did not show when i turned on the ignition.(IMG_3133.jpg)

oh, and yeah there is enough full in the tank prior to my ride and these photo's being taken.

so, um, will this be an expensive exercise if i let the mechanic have a go? if it involves replacing a part, i'd rather try it

cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3126.jpg (53.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3129.jpg (49.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3133.jpg (65.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3136.jpg (43.7 KB, 16 views)

post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Had the same issue with my 2003 919. Took the fuel pump out which includes the sending unit sensor for the fuel.. cleaned a little with carb cleaner.. reinstalled been fine for over a year now. Try that.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode