Fuel pump problems - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Fuel pump problems

Problem started last year, with what seemed like the fuel pump not keeping up at high rpm (usually cutting out until rpms were dropped, on a couple of occasions dying completely), especially with the fuel level low in the tank. Driving like a granny and keeping the tank topped off seemed to fix the problem. Then, one day as I was picking it up from being towed (thank you, "vehicle cannot sit in one spot for 48 hours" ordinance) I picked it up, fired it up, drove it to the office to pay the company, went back out and... nothing. Not even noise from the fuel pump.

I thought the fuel pump had finally taken a dump after a long gradual demise, but I may have been wrong. Got a brand new unit from ronayers, put it in, and... nothing. Very, very aggravating. Anyone have any ideas on what may be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

check wire connections? sounds like you leave it in the weather? umm how about that ground wire under the tank. i remember some having trouble with that. i forget what bike was doing though

post #3 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Tilt, kill, kickstand switches? Not sure if those kill fuel, or just ignition. As 3d said, check wiring. At the fuses maybe?

post #4 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

fuel pump relay, and when you changed the pump you also did the filter right? Not that it would cause the problem just good thing to do....

just like the others already suggested kill switch turned on?? Don't know how many times i went stupid because of that one...

post #5 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

What does "nothing" mean? Does it run the same as before, or won't start.

Reading the first part of your post have you ever tried opening the fuel cap when the problem starts? If you do and the bike runs better I say you've got a clogged vent.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Reading back through it, I guess I wasn't quite as clear as I thought I was. By nothing I'm referring only to the fuel pump; everything powers up from my lights to my powercommander, but the fuel pump does not make any noise as it always has when the key is turned on and the motor won't fire. (Turns over fine.)

I've double checked all the wiring and fuses. I admit I know nothing about relays. Does this sound like it could even have a chance of being relay-related? I suppose it's possible that something else fried while the pump was slowly failing (my bike's gauges were smashed by a car, and it was no surprise that the fuel pump was going bad as I've run it out of gas many, many times.)

post #7 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Could someone maybe check to see if the fuel pump runs when the kill switch is engaged?

How would I check to see if the relay was burned up? I don't have my honda manual here...

Thanks all for your help. I'm pretty well lost with this problem.

post #8 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Time to roll up your sleeves!

You're going to have to be methodical here.

First, you will need a digital volt meter and one red and one black jumper wire about 3 feet long with aligator clips on one end and sharp probes on the other.

Second, look up the wiring diagram either in the service manual or in "Wrist Twisters Riders Forum > The Machines > Naked Bikes
Helpful Topics for 919 owners:" About 2/3rds of the way down in "Maintenance/Helpful How-To's" is a wiring diagram which will open in a separate window. I recommend saving it to a file in your computer for future reference. Familiarize yourself with the entire fuel pump control circuit including the pump, relay, fuses, grounds, and the relay control from the ECU. Take notes for reference while troubleshooting.

Here we go

Preparation:
Remove the seat and tail piece. Open the fuse box and check all fuses, then remove the headlight fuse. This will extend battery life during testing. Pull the middle of three relays away from its holder. This is the fuel pump relay, and your primary focus for much of the troubleshooting. With the meter, check for power to and from the 20 amp PGM - FI fuse. It is constantly powered directly from the battery (through the main fuse mounted on the starter relay). In all fuse tests, use the exposed metal lugs at the top of the fuses -- it's why they are there. If there is power to both sides, press on. Do not turn on the key unless directed to do so, then turn it off at the conclusion of each test.
Whenever I say Zero volts (0V), it can be as high as 1.5 V or even a little more unless I indicate otherwise.

Getting to the meat of it:

1-- Turn the key on and check for voltage at the Pink wire in the 22 pin gray connector at the ECU. This is a signal from a zener diode in the ignition switch that acts as an ECU reset. It is there to prevent the ECU from initializing if the bike is hot wired.
**** +11.5 Volts (V) -- Normal. Proceed to #2
**** 0V -- Either a broken wire or a defective diode, Find out which and repair / replace the electrical part of the switch.

2 -- Making sure the kill switch is on, turn on the key and with the meter check for power at either Black/White wire going to the fuel relay.
**** +12V -- Cool. The EFI system is powered up. Go to #3
**** 0V -- Pull the engine stop relay (the one nearest the fuse box) away from the holder and check for power to the relay on the Red/White wire.
****** +12V -- The relay is getting power from the PGM fuse. Check the black wire for power.
********** 0V -- A problem in the kill switch or wiring. Fix it.
********** +12V -- The relay is getting power from the kill switch. Check the Red/Orange wire for power.
********** 0V -- The relay is getting a ground from the bank angle sensor. At this point, the relay is getting everything it needs to operate and may be defective.
********** 12V -- No ground from the bank angle sensor. Find out why.

3 -- Check for voltage at the Brown wire in the connector for the fuel pump relay for approx. 2 - 3 seconds after the key is turned on.
**** +12V -- The relay is providing power to the fuel pump. If the pump does not run, go to #4.
**** 0V -- Check for voltage at the Brown/Black wire in the connector for the fuel pump relay for approx. 2 - 3 seconds after the key is turned on.
******** Greater than 6 V -- There is insufficient ground from the ECU to activate the relay consistently. Possible poor connection or defective ECU.
******** Less than 3 V -- Normal reading. Cycle the key while holding the relay to feel for a click.
*********** No click. The relay coil may be open. Replace the relay.
*********** Click. Possible burned contacts. Replace the relay.
******** Between 3 and 6V -- Bad / intermittent connection between the relay and the ECU. Find and repair.

4 -- Tilt up the tank and find the fuel pump / low fuel 3 pin connector. Wrap a clean shop towel around the red jumper's sharp probe to prevent shorting it to ground then clip the red wire's alligator clip to power at the starter relay. Be careful with the probe: it is hot at all times. Leaving the connector plugged together, jump +12 volts to the Brown wire in the fuel pump connector. Do not apply battery voltage to the Brown/Black wire. It may damage the low fuel sensor in the tank.
**** Fuel pump runs -- Poor connection between the relay and the pump. Repair.
**** Pump does not run -- Leaving the jumper in place, ground the Green wire with the Black jumper. Make sure it is securely grounded to the frame.
******** Pump runs -- Defective ground. The main ground for the most of the electrical system is on the right side of the frame near the rear of the tank. Check this for a loose bolt or corrosion. Correct as necessary.
******** Pump does not run -- Defective pump, broken wire between the 3 pin connector and the pump, or gremlins. Replace the pump, repair the wiring, or have an exorcism done (or whatever it takes to get rid of gremlins).

This may all look intimidating, but if you take it one step at a time you'll probably find the problem.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 37 Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Tirone

hy.you have 3 relays under the seat.one of then has 2 black/white wires,one brown/black and a brown one.you have to measure battery voltage (with ignition swich and engine stop swich on)betwen brown/black(-) and black/white(+). if you have battery voltage thear thats mean the ecu is ok.then measure battery voltage betwen brown and ground.if nothing that's mean the relay need to be replacet,if you have voltage it's mean the pump or the wires from relay to pump are busted.measure battery voltage betwen green and brown at the pump connector.if you have it than the pump is bad. measure the voltage when you start the ignition on.the ecu is gonna gave you just for 2 seconds power on then,and afther you start the engine again.i undestand you have a pcIII. check the conectors.may be a bad contact.try without pcIII.
gerald

post #10 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Well, I certainly couldn't have asked for better! Thanks robtharalson! None of this should be a problem for me, I might get a chance to run through it tonight.

Thanks all-

ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post

First, you will need a digital volt meter and one red and one black jumper wire about 3 feet long with aligator clips on one end and sharp probes on the other.

Second, look up the wiring diagram either in the service manual or in "Wrist Twisters Riders Forum > The Machines > Naked Bikes
Helpful Topics for 919 owners:" About 2/3rds of the way down in "Maintenance/Helpful How-To's" is a wiring diagram which will open in a separate window. I recommend saving it to a file in your computer for future reference. Familiarize yourself with the entire fuel pump control circuit including the pump, relay, fuses, grounds, and the relay control from the ECU. Take notes for reference while troubleshooting.

Here we go

Preparation:
Remove the seat and tail piece. Open the fuse box and check all fuses, then remove the headlight fuse. This will extend battery life during testing. Pull the middle of three relays away from its holder. This is the fuel pump relay, and your primary focus for much of the troubleshooting. With the meter, check for power to and from the 20 amp PGM - FI fuse. It is constantly powered directly from the battery (through the main fuse mounted on the starter relay). In all fuse tests, use the exposed metal lugs at the top of the fuses -- it's why they are there. If there is power to both sides, press on. Do not turn on the key unless directed to do so, then turn it off at the conclusion of each test.
Whenever I say Zero volts (0V), it can be as high as 1.5 V or even a little more unless I indicate otherwise.

1-- Turn the key on and check for voltage at the Pink wire in the 22 pin gray connector at the ECU. This is a signal from a zener diode in the ignition switch that acts as an ECU reset. It is there to prevent the ECU from initializing if the bike is hot wired.
**** 0V -- Either a broken wire or a defective diode, Find out which and repair / replace the electrical part of the switch.

2 -- Making sure the kill switch is on, turn on the key and with the meter check for power at either Black/White wire going to the fuel relay.
**** 0V -- Pull the engine stop relay (the one nearest the fuse box) away from the holder and check for power to the relay on the Red/White wire.
****** +12V -- The relay is getting power from the PGM fuse. Check the black wire for power.
********** +12V -- The relay is getting power from the kill switch. Check the Red/Orange wire for power.
********** 0V -- The relay is getting a ground from the bank angle sensor. At this point, the relay is getting everything it needs to operate and may be defective.

3 -- Check for voltage at the Brown wire in the connector for the fuel pump relay for approx. 2 - 3 seconds after the key is turned on.
**** +12V -- The relay is providing power to the fuel pump. If the pump does not run, go to #4.
**** 0V -- Check for voltage at the Brown/Black wire in the connector for the fuel pump relay for approx. 2 - 3 seconds after the key is turned on.
******** Greater than 6 V -- There is insufficient ground from the ECU to activate the relay consistently. Possible poor connection or defective ECU.
******** Less than 3 V -- Normal reading. Cycle the key while holding the relay to feel for a click.
******** Between 3 and 6V -- Bad / intermittent connection between the relay and the ECU. Find and repair.

4 -- Tilt up the tank and find the fuel pump / low fuel 3 pin connector. Wrap a clean shop towel around the red jumper's sharp probe to prevent shorting it to ground then clip the red wire's alligator clip to power at the starter relay. Be careful with the probe: it is hot at all times. Leaving the connector plugged together, jump +12 volts to the Brown wire in the fuel pump connector. Do not apply battery voltage to the Brown/Black wire. It may damage the low fuel sensor in the tank.
**** Pump does not run -- Leaving the jumper in place, ground the Green wire with the Black jumper. Make sure it is securely grounded to the frame.
******** Pump runs -- Defective ground. The main ground for the most of the electrical system is on the right side of the frame near the rear of the tank. Check this for a loose bolt or corrosion. Correct as necessary.
******** Pump does not run -- Defective pump, broken wire between the 3 pin connector and the pump, or gremlins. Replace the pump, repair the wiring, or have an exorcism done (or whatever it takes to get rid of gremlins).

This may all look intimidating, but if you take it one step at a time you'll probably find the problem.

Rob

post #11 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had a somewhat similar problem with my 04 earlier this year. Rob walked me thru it, bless his heart. Turns out I had a loose connection at the bank angle sensor. The loose connection was caused bt me jumping across it, btw. Ended up frying my ECU. Got a used one. All is well.

post #12 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

While tracing out the circuits for the fuel pump, I decided to edit out all the extraneous B.S. to make it clearer. Here's the finished image. Copy it to your computer then open it in whatever viewer you use so you can zoom in.

If you find any mistakes let me know.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Dear lord man, can I paypal you a gratuity for the work you've done?

post #14 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassbertha View Post
Dear lord man, can I paypal you a gratuity for the work you've done?
Not necessary, but if you were to make a donation to the Wrist Twisters site it would benefit all of us. PM MisterMike for how to do it.

Good luck with the fuel pump problem, and if you get a result I haven't covered or are stuck post it with as much information as you can and I'll see what I can do to help. We gotta keep as many 919's on the road as possible!

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #15 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Fuel relay:

Brown - 0V at/after key on
Brown/Black - 12V same

So, would the fact that it started and ran fine 2 minutes before it conked out completely rule out a bad connection? I'm going to clean all connections anyway, but what are the odds I have to replace the ECU?

post #16 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Ah. I should also say that the ground to the ECU is good (.1 ohm to the frame). All the connections (at the ecu) are spotless.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Fuel relay:

Brown - 0V at/after key on
Brown/Black - 12V same

So, would the fact that it started and ran fine 2 minutes before it conked out completely rule out a bad connection? I'm going to clean all connections anyway, but what are the odds I have to replace the ECU?
On the assumption that all the tests were performed in the order presented, it would appear the ECU is not picking up the relay at all -- which is very unusual in that I was expecting a reading somewhat less than 12V. If there is no drop at all it usually indicates an open circuit rather than an internal defect in the ECU, but it's always possible.

A quick test: Ground the Brown / Black lead then turn on the key. If the fuel pump runs start the motor. If it starts the ECU is initializing and the relay circuit is bad. If it doesn't try to start it is possible the Pink wire signal isn't picking up the ECU or the control unit is toast. I'll think on it further while making dinner and ge tback to you.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #18 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Pink ECU wire was fine, 12v from both bl/wh wires at the relay, brown 0v br/bl 12v.

I will run out right now and do as you suggested.

post #19 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Pump ran, motor did not fire.

post #20 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your continued help, btw.

post #21 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why my edit did not show up when I posted it 30 min or so ago, but I went back and rechecked everything. I must have been checking the wrong terminal in the wiring harness, as there is NOT a voltage from the pink wire. I have no idea how I managed to bungle that up, but I did. Can I bypass that diode circuit entirely to make sure that's where the problem lies?

Awaiting instruction

Donated to the site. This is more than worth it.

post #22 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Ryan:
It sounds like the ECU is not powering up or initializing.
If you haven't already done it, disconnect the power commander and restore the wiring to as close to original as you can, in a process called 'returning it to zero." Then carefully check all the pins in the ECU connectors for engagement depth, bending (as if you haven't already), and for the integrity of the conductor's connection to the pin. To explain, sometimes if a wire is stressed the copper conductor will fatigue fail while the insulator outwardly looks fine. It doesn't make a connection but looks like it does. Of course backprobing the pin with a meter should show this, but sometimes pushing the probe in drags the wire forward far enough to make a temporary connection and a false "it's okay". To check for this, simply gently pull the wire back from the connector body. If the wire is good it will feel solid as soon as the free play of the pin is taken up, but if it's broken it will continue to pull back with an elastic feel as the insulator stretches. Obviously, it will have to be repaired.

One thing I forgot to include in the abbreviated wiring diagram is a second ground -- a Green / Pink wire right next to the Green in the connector. It is connected to the the chassis ground lug on the frame as opposed to the Green which is (I think -- I've never been able to actually find it) bolted to the engine and serves as a logic ground and reference for the VRef 5V. The G / P wire does the heavy lifting of grounding the injectors, ignition coils, and iternal power supply VCC. What the heck -- redo the chassis ground whether it looks like it needs it or not. it couldn't hurt.

I also recommend voltage checking the Black / White power feed wire at the ECU connector.

I know this sounds a bit scattergun compared to the logically laid out troubleshooting tree before, but once you're down to this level, it's usually "What if this is not right ... hmmmmm."

I hope this helps some, but it may come down to a smoked ECU. I'm just trying to be sure before spending a bundle of your money for it.

Good luck.

------- Rob --------
post #23 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate your help on this.

The power commander was the first thing to go. Pulled it out to see if that was the problem. All of the pins in the wiring harnesses look good. I did not check individual wires or anything else you mentioned and unfortunately it will have to wait until Tuesday night as I'm out of town tomorrow night.

Next time I'm visiting my friend in Woodland Hills I owe you a beer! (drove past Calabasas 6 weeks or so ago)

edited...

post #24 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I don't know why my edit did not show up when I posted it 30 min or so ago, but I went back and rechecked everything. I must have been checking the wrong terminal in the wiring harness, as there is NOT a voltage from the pink wire. I have no idea how I managed to bungle that up, but I did. Can I bypass that diode circuit entirely to make sure that's where the problem lies?

Awaiting instruction

Donated to the site. This is more than worth it.
Oh dear -- how fallible of you. In other words, human. I once spent over 20 hours troubleshooting a problem in a radar system based on a voltage taken from the wrong pin 3 days previously. It happens.

Unfortunately, the zener diode is there to provide a regulated voltage lower than 12 volts, and I wouldn't be surprised if Honda designed the ECU to occasionally vary the load on the wire to test for a resistor in place of the diode and cut out the ECU. If the information posted by doctoremoto (thank you!) is correct, the diode is rated at 11.4 volts, which is an unusual value and therefore not available at an electronics store. As it is integrated into the switch assembly it may be necessary to replace it as a unit. Before ordering one check the condition of the pins in the ignition switch connector, there may be some corrosion that would block the high impedance signal. Hopefully a thorough cleaning will take care of the problem. Also point to point check the pink wire from the ignition switch to the ECU -- there are no intervening connectors, so if it shows open, look for external damage or chafing on the main harness which may indicate where the break may have occurred.

Good luck, and thank you from all of us for the donation.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #25 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

That's a relief. I'll get on this Tuesday night.

post #26 of 37 Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Tirone

wellcome to my club! )
when is eny problem like this first check pink wire must have around 11.4v with ignition on .if you don't have that voltage (when red has battery voltage and red/black a little less ) than is the electrical part from the ignition switch.can be replacet.second.the black\white wire from ecu must have battery voltage or a little less.the black\white wire powers up everything.(gray connector 2-nd pin). if you don't have +battery v on the black\white and -battery voltage on brown\black from fuel relay,it's mean something keeps blocket the ecu.can be the engine stop switch or .....

post #27 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I'll think on it further while making dinner and ge tback to you.
And he cooks too.

post #28 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

i just want to say...WHAT UP BBA !!!

good to see ya arounnd so to speak...

l8r

+5$

post #29 of 37 Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Moe View Post
And he cooks too.
Of course! To see a 7 foot tall flame from my Calphalon saute pan while searing onions, chipotle peppers, cumin, and brussels sprouts in a couple ounces of Maker's Mark while stirring the walnut risotto and mentally keeping track of the pork ribs on the 'que is one of the great pleasures in life. Cooking is not for the faint of heart.
You should try one of my portabello mushroom, kasseri cheese and habanero omelettes some time -- it'll knock your socks off!

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #30 of 37 Old 08-05-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
i just want to say...WHAT UP BBA !!!

good to see ya arounnd so to speak...

l8r

+5$
Howdy sir, long time no see. Good to be back, will be better to be riding again, and will be best when the bike looks as it should again.

DISCLAIMER:

When I, with the eensiest bit of help from a certain GOD in this thread (sarcasm fully intended), realized that the problem was likely a wire and possibly at the front end of the bike, I just assumed that this was all my fault. After I got rocked by that minivan, I had no gauges, light, etc, and I being the minimalist that I am decided that I would cut out all the extra wiring that I could. You might notice that my front end looks just a hair different from most 919s . I of course left anything that I didn't know the full purpose of. I figured something came loose or had corroded to the point of no longer working.

Possibly tomorrow, I'll post a photo of the brick of wire I took out of the bike. It's really quite impressive. This all worked flawlessly for 4 years.

Now. Got a good look up there tonight. I think I might have found a bad connection, ya know... pending further testing. Have a look for yourself! It's like "where's waldo?"!

Tomorrow I'll pick up the security torx bits and I'll be back in business in 20 minutes.

In other news, I got pissed at the mini-fairing that I've never been completely happy with and, since I had misplaced my 10mm wrench under a piece of paper and didn't care to look for it, ripped it to pieces and proceeded to cut it off with a pair of side cutters. Finally, back to a round headlight for me!

The front fender and tail section will be painted to match the tank, satin black w/ glossy emerald green up the middle, and the front wheel needs repainted with emerald green as the guy who painted them for me originally quite obviously neglected adhesion promoter on the front.

I'm also going to cut my stainless header up to replace this black piece. I could do without the rust

The bike as it sits in the shed right now.

Thanks all. Will obviously post final photos once it's all painted up.

post #31 of 37 Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I suppose I should also say that it appears that my wiring was fine. I soldered and shrunk everything and left plenty of slack everywhere. There doesn't seem to be much tension on the wiring from the ignition and the other wires appear to be fully intact. I'm not completely sure why I got a break where I did, but I suppose that question might be answered when I open up the lower part of the ignition.

post #32 of 37 Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Running. Cleaned it. Serviced it. Painted it. Thanks for your help guys, especially robtharalson! Will post a pic or two after I get a fiberglass basket made and a round headlight mounted.

post #33 of 37 Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
919>food>beer

Congrats, glad to hear you're back on the road!

post #34 of 37 Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

That is one of the nastiest looking 919s I have ever seen. It's a shame you have to put a headlight on it. I kind of like it just the way it is. Why don't you try to put 2 really small, side by side headlights on it. You need to show off those forks! I like that color green. I'd paint the whole thing that color.

post #35 of 37 Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Tirone

I tried following your procedure but I had issues testing the pink wire do to the little rubber insert. Do you know where I can get the wire test harness? According to the 2002-2003 CB900 Service manual, the part number is 07YMZ-0010100 but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Quote:

Here we go

Preparation:

Rob

post #36 of 37 Old 02-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknownothing View Post
I tried following your procedure but I had issues testing the pink wire do to the little rubber insert. Do you know where I can get the wire test harness? According to the 2002-2003 CB900 Service manual, the part number is 07YMZ-0010100 but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
No need for the jump harness. To test probe any wire in a hermetically sealed block connector simply modify a safety pin as follows: open up one coil of the spring with a flat blade screwdriver (image 1) and insert the test probe through it such that it is securely held(picture 2). Slightly blunt the tip to prevent damaging the rubber seal, and clip off the clasp end of the pin. I recommend wrapping the spring / probe with a couple layers of electrical tape to prevent exposure to whatever circuit you're testing. Coat the tip with clean motor oil and insert it into the appropriate well between the rubber insert and the plastic of the connector body. Continue to push it in, angling toward the wire, until it encounters a hard stop -- this is in contact with the metal of the pin. It will make a perfectly good connection for test purposes.

Good luck!

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safety pin 2.jpg (53.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Safety pin 3.jpg (125.0 KB, 13 views)

------- Rob --------
post #37 of 37 Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Tirone

Thank you very much! I'll give it a shot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode