Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Front tire profile

982 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CeeBee919 
#1 ·
It's coming time when I will need to put on some new rubber and I am wondering about front tire size. I have been checking out the various favorite tires of the members and noticed for the most part a front for the 919 can be had in 120/70 or 120/60. Stock is 70 series. Has anyone run a 60 and if so, was there any negative or positive handling changes? Just wondering if it makes a noticeable difference.

I'm not real good with the search yet so point me in the right direction if there is a good thread already.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, there will be a handling difference, but will you notice it; I don't know. The 60 sidewall is shorter which will hinder its ability to absorb pavement irregularities. A rougher ride through the corners isn't what I want, and generally I'd like to think that the designers of this bike spec'ed the suspension and handling around the 70 profile tire.

robtharlson had previously cleared up similar post with much a more detailed explanation. I'll see if I can find it.

#5 ·
Just to me and me only,

I would be tempted to stick to a standard size when it comes to the Hornet 900 (919), because it really ins't the type of bike to go chasing the sportier performance with. I don't mean to upset fellow Hornet owners, but it just isn't an out of the box boy racer bike. I don't doubt that you could make a racey bike out of it, but I would look at and modify suspension or settings, front and back, way before I went to a lower profile tyre, especially on the front. From brand to brand or even model to model of the same brand, tyres can change the bikes handling immensely with the same profiles, let alone going to lower profiles on what is essentially a "street" bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.