FRONT SPROCKET ONLY?? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

FRONT SPROCKET ONLY??

After just spending an hour reading older threads on sprockets I need clarity....

The stock front sprocket is a 16 tooth I suppose? What does a 17 tooth exactly do to the revs at 70mph and a 15 tooth revs at 70 mph?

Here is what I am trying to figure out. I bought a slightly used 07. The previous owner put on a sprocket with an extra tooth. When I go down the freeway, other bikes pass me with great ease and just hum by. It feels like I am at high rpms (exact # I can't remember) and going slower. What do I need to do to go 80mph and just hum down the road?

Thanks guys!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

I think you'd want the 17t front for smooth freeway revs.

The 15t would be more buzzy on the freeway.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjsr View Post
After just spending an hour reading older threads on sprockets I need clarity....

The stock front sprocket is a 16 tooth I suppose? What does a 17 tooth exactly do to the revs at 70mph and a 15 tooth revs at 70 mph?

Here is what I am trying to figure out. I bought a slightly used 07. The previous owner put on a sprocket with an extra tooth. When I go down the freeway, other bikes pass me with great ease and just hum by. It feels like I am at high rpms (exact # I can't remember) and going slower. What do I need to do to go 80mph and just hum down the road?

Thanks guys!!!!!
Down shift, whack the throttle. 919 will do freeway speeds with easy in 2nd gear with anything from 15/45 to 17/43 sprocket combos. If you want more pull without having to down shift you want smaller front larger rear or both. The opposite to get higher MPG and run lower RPMs in the given gear. It's all about sacrifice and balance. I live at a relatively high altitude, (4400 ft), and I am a huge fatty.. so I like the 15/45 for around town riding and short freeway runs. If I was doing the commute thing I would go 17/43 and save some gas by lowering those Rs. You really have to figure out what you want from your bike. If you live at a lower elevation and weigh less than say.. me, you might find the bike has plenty of power even with 17/43 gearing. It always baffles my mind when others offer up solutions for "everyone" based on what they are using without taking into consideration all the factors. Anyway.. you choose.

BTW: stock is 16/43. It's a great balance for most folks. I often wish I had a toggle switch.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #4 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Down shift, whack the throttle. 919 will do freeway speeds with easy in 2nd gear with anything from 15/45 to 17/43 sprocket combos. If you want more pull without having to down shift you want smaller front larger rear or both. The opposite to get higher MPG and run lower RPMs in the given gear. It's all about sacrifice and balance. I live at a relatively high altitude, (4400 ft), and I am a huge fatty.. so I like the 15/45 for around town riding and short freeway runs. If I was doing the commute thing I would go 17/43 and save some gas by lowering those Rs. You really have to figure out what you want from your bike. If you live at a lower elevation and weigh less than say.. me, you might find the bike has plenty of power even with 17/43 gearing. It always baffles my mind when others offer up solutions for "everyone" based on what they are using without taking into consideration all the factors. Anyway.. you choose.

BTW: stock is 16/43. It's a great balance for most folks. I often wish I had a toggle switch.

I hear you, seems like good solid information. Maybe because I am sitting right over the engine it just seems like I am really working for the 80 mph. The guys who pass me have one hand on their hip the other on the bars going la la la and smoking me. I will try swapping the front and see what difference I get.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjsr View Post
I hear you, seems like good solid information. Maybe because I am sitting right over the engine it just seems like I am really working for the 80 mph. The guys who pass me have one hand on their hip the other on the bars going la la la and smoking me. I will try swapping the front and see what difference I get.
Like I said.. dump a couple gears and whack the throttle. You'll catch up.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2009, 04:59 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

also........... with the stock 16/43 combo, the speedo reads @ 8 mph fast(says 70 but your going62) the +1 17/43 makes the speedo almost perfect but the odo is off slightly.
i'm 5'8 180 and mine will still power wheelie in 1st w/ 17/43 but the 16 was better.

so if your lookin at the gages they won't change.
i can catch my dad(05 st1300) on the highway in a topgear rollon even if he gets a jump

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #7 of 11 Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Ok What bikes are pulling on you?

I love the 919,but some bikes you are just not going to keep up with.

On another note it sounds like what mine does.I run a 17frt with a 44 rear I still need to drop a gear to make her really move.It's not really noticable unless I'm following full on sportbikes.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
no max no more

go back to stock gearing....17 tooth bike revs lower at highway speed taking longer to get up to speed.. less pulling power in the low mid rpm range

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #9 of 11 Old 09-13-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

I will put the stock front sprocket back on and go for a ride. I think I got wind plowing issues as well. The road I ride on is pretty windy and I don't have a windshield. My body gets bumped around pretty good. I sit more upright than stock as well. Perhaps the other guys seem faster because they are all laying on their tanks.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Tirone

San Ramon, CA? That's where I work, and I live in San Leandro. I have a 2002 919. I'm usually around 580 & 680, and also Crow Canyon & Norris Canyon. It's not too often that other motorcyclists pass me up!

Cheers!!

post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Honda Hore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
San Ramon, CA? That's where I work, and I live in San Leandro. I have a 2002 919. I'm usually around 580 & 680, and also Crow Canyon & Norris Canyon. It's not too often that other motorcyclists pass me up!

Cheers!!
Obviously I live in San Ramon, work in Livermore by Lawrence Lab. I am always riding around here on my 9er. Surprised I have not ran into you. I ride with a group of local guys who do 200 mile trips fairly often. Always looking for more bikes to join....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode