Front Sprocket Cover - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Front Sprocket Cover

I'm in the process of cleaning up and modifying my 03 919; I've had it only a few months and have been working on it but have a long ways to go because the previous owner wasn't into maintenance. So.............the biggest problem the bike has is the front sprocket cover - the top bolt hole is busted in the threaded area that the bolt threads into. I guess I could drill out the hole and re-tap it but was considering just running the bike without the cover. Does anyone else do this? What are the downsides? Is there a risk of getting your pant legs caught in it? Do I have any other options?

I also noticed the front sprocket has a very small about of side to side play; is this normal or should it be completely snug? I tried tightening it but can't get enough leverage behind it - I need a longer wrench. I'm going to replace the sprockets and chain ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudreaux View Post
I'm in the process of cleaning up and modifying my 03 919; I've had it only a few months and have been working on it but have a long ways to go because the previous owner wasn't into maintenance. So.............the biggest problem the bike has is the front sprocket cover - the top bolt hole is busted in the threaded area that the bolt threads into. I guess I could drill out the hole and re-tap it but was considering just running the bike without the cover. Does anyone else do this? What are the downsides? Is there a risk of getting your pant legs caught in it? Do I have any other options?

I also noticed the front sprocket has a very small about of side to side play; is this normal or should it be completely snug? I tried tightening it but can't get enough leverage behind it - I need a longer wrench. I'm going to replace the sprockets and chain ASAP.
i am sure there is a chance of getting your pants caught... but i have seen them ridden without the guard in place... the front sprocket is supposed to have side to side play and you don't need to gorilla tighten it because if you break that bolt off in there you have "problems".. just torque it to the proper amount..

me i wouldnt worry bout the top hole.. just use the other 2 bolts to hold it in place and ride it... don't go crazy tightening them up either... maybe just a drop of loctite BLUE to make sure they stay snug....

hope this helped...

post #3 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 06:45 PM
CG

Paco's idea is not bad but if you really want to fix it right, try this.

Center punch the screw that's there as close to the center as you can. Use a nail if you don't have a punch. Drill a small hole in the center. Then use a screw extractor to unscrew the broken off piece. If it was broken from overtightening, it might come out easy. Worst case, you break off the screw extractor and you're back to Paco's approach or your drill & tap deal.

Amazon.com: OEM 25467 Bolt Extractor Set, 10-Piece: Home Improvement

Sears, Home Depot sell them also, maybe smaller, cheaper sets.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

if you are going to drill it pick up a set of reverse drill bits you might be lucky and get it out with those

post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
if you are going to drill it pick up a set of reverse drill bits you might be lucky and get it out with those
yep......... but be very careful drilling it out and do as catonville said and center punch the broken bolt otherwise the drill bit will walk and then problems... especially if the drill bit breaks..........

take your time.... don't force anything...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode