Front Fork Swap out! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Front Fork Swap out!

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be swapping out my stock forks for a set of 06 ZX10 forks, does anyone know the diameter of the upper tube and where I can get a set of clamps for them. I haven't really done my homework on these yet, I've been really busy. Thought I would throw it out there and maybe you guys could help me out. Also want to change my rotors to something wicked looking!

Cya

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

I thought I'd bump this at least...

If you read about the suspension on most sport bikes, and almost everyone who has had lots of experience in this area of tuning, It appears to not be worth the time swapping any components with another stock bike, and comparing the prices for new stock stuff..or for a tuned setup for that particular bike from a major aftermarket company, it would be well worth the extra for a performance suspension that has been manufactured, designed, and tuned for your particular bike.
As far as crazy rotors and stuff, thats all depending on taste, and style you wish to go for, I've seen a few that I think would look great if i wear mine out, aggressive looking and all, but swapping all that stuff out probably won't give you any more enhanced feel from them, unless you also swap out the lines and everything else. For a cheaper upgrade, Get a set of braided lines, even on the stock nissin setup, it makes a difference!!

post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

I am in the process of doing this right now, but with 96 zx9 forks. The reason I am using these is that they are long enough and the offset of the triple used is correct, 35mm. These are two VERY important things to look at because they help define the trail of the bike. You do not want to mess with the trail of the bike too much, you can make the bike handle very twitchy (dangerous) or very slow (boring and hard to steer).

I am doing this because I want to. I know that tuning the stock forks or using f4i forks may add the same or better performance, but I don't care, I want the look.

The guy I am using is very very careful about doing things correct as to not mess with the geometry of the bike and I totally agree with him. Looks are neat, but I want the bike to handle the same way.

Of course, if all you want to do is make show bike, then use whatever you want

Note that I started with a great zx12 frontend that ended up not even coming close to working, so before you go buying parts, you might want to find a pro (someone who has done this kind of thing A LOT) and ask them for advice.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

y not just use the rc51 forks/triples ?? honda honda honda...

(guess y'all musta scored a deal on the green stix?)

post #5 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Far as performance goes, anything I do to my bike is for my own satifaction and for looks etc. I could revalve the forks and get better performance out of them if they don't perform to my liking. The rotors I want to swap out for the looks, the 919 has no prob standing on it's nose, so I'm not worried about stopping any quicker.
I'm going to look into the RC51's forks, thanks. I haven't bought anything yet, Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode