Front Fenders for F4/i Forks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Front Fenders for F4/i Forks

This is tied to the use of F4 or F4i forks on a 919.
The 919 front fender mounts are not common with the Fs.
I have also read that the mounts, and therefore the fenders also, are not common between F4s and F4is.
I'm after F4i forks, primarily in order to get ones that aren't as old.
So I'll be needing a fender also.
What have other WTers used so far ?
Factory item ? Aftermarket ?
What have other WTers found to be good, or not good ?
What would you do the same, or differently if you were to do it again ?
Opinions, advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Whitty comment here

i put on f4i forks and got the 919 fender to mount. it mounted to the amber reflector marker holes. so, instead of 4 mount bolts, you will only use 2. its holding up great, no rubbing. saves the trouble of getting a repaint.

post #3 of 17 Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
i put on f4i forks and got the 919 fender to mount. it mounted to the amber reflector marker holes. so, instead of 4 mount bolts, you will only use 2. its holding up great, no rubbing. saves the trouble of getting a repaint.
Thanks, but I'm a bit leery of just two bolting it.
Where is the second set of bolt holes on the F4i forks ?
Could some kind of hidden adaptor be made to tie in the front fender bolt holes in the 919 fender to the F4i fork leg mounting tab ?
My problem is I'm flying blind, I don't have a F4i handy to look at and reconcile things that way.
Any more info you can add ?

I just got one of my brainwaves - scary thought that !
I can fab up some aluminum blocks and lightly weld them to the F4i fork legs!
To pick up the front 919 fender mounts that is.
VOILA !!!!

post #4 of 17 Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I made some struts because I wanted to keep my fender.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #5 of 17 Old 10-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Discen

as far as i can see the f4 and f4i are interchangeable, i have f4i forks fitted with an f4 fender.
As an aside i fitted the front and rear brakes from the f4 to the 919 today, not only did the brakes improve markedly, but the best thing is the squeal from the rear has gone. It was worth it just for the peace.
The front and back calipers were $40, and all the pads are near new, so it was a bargain just for the pads alone.
happy chappy

post #6 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
I made some struts because I wanted to keep my fender.
Very effective solution but what is the fender you are using ?
Looks good !

post #7 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Whitty comment here

i understand the concern, but i believe many models of bikes come with 2 bolt fenders. for me the estimates i was gettin for 02 asphalt on a f4i fender were a little outrageous, i.e. a repaint was going to cost the price i paid for the forks AND rebuild i got from traxxion dynamics. not worth it on an ugly ass f4i fender anyway. i was going to go fenderless, but at the last minute while installing the forks, i lined up the old fender for shits and giggles, and those holes lined up at the reflector spots, and i went for it. ive put 1000 mi on the 2 bolt setup with no problem.

now, i cant spray paint. probably the only mechcanical skill i never picked up over my life. i always concentrated on mechanicals. i took the f4i fender to several body shops, armed with the color rite asphalt code. they all told me, no self respecting body shop uses color rite, and no other paint company has a code for it.

so, i guess if you dont have an 02, you probably will not have the same problem i had. if you need an f4i fender, i will sell you one on the cheap.

post #8 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
i understand the concern, but i believe many models of bikes come with 2 bolt fenders. for me the estimates i was gettin for 02 asphalt on a f4i fender were a little outrageous, i.e. a repaint was going to cost the price i paid for the forks AND rebuild i got from traxxion dynamics. not worth it on an ugly ass f4i fender anyway. i was going to go fenderless, but at the last minute while installing the forks, i lined up the old fender for shits and giggles, and those holes lined up at the reflector spots, and i went for it. ive put 1000 mi on the 2 bolt setup with no problem.

now, i cant spray paint. probably the only mechcanical skill i never picked up over my life. i always concentrated on mechanicals. i took the f4i fender to several body shops, armed with the color rite asphalt code. they all told me, no self respecting body shop uses color rite, and no other paint company has a code for it.

so, i guess if you dont have an 02, you probably will not have the same problem i had. if you need an f4i fender, i will sell you one on the cheap.
Which option from Traxxion Dynamics did you go with? How do you like it?

post #9 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 07:39 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
don't you dare be sending your forks for the rebuilt to anyone, you can DIY Believe me, it's not the brain surgery

post #10 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
This is tied to the use of F4 or F4i forks on a 919.
The 919 front fender mounts are not common with the Fs.
I have also read that the mounts, and therefore the fenders also, are not common between F4s and F4is.
I'm after F4i forks, primarily in order to get ones that aren't as old.
So I'll be needing a fender also.
What have other WTers used so far ?
Factory item ? Aftermarket ?
What have other WTers found to be good, or not good ?
What would you do the same, or differently if you were to do it again ?
Opinions, advice and comments would be greatly appreciated.
I used to run modded VFR fender. Modded and painted by me. Fender can be found on ebay for $20. Few cans of crylon and you are in business.

I sold the whole assembly to andrewebay1. Andrew, let see some pics, I can't find any of my old pics after it was painted.

post #11 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase

here, I found it

post #12 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
don't you dare be sending your forks for the rebuilt to anyone, you can DIY Believe me, it's not the brain surgery
One may be able to do the mechanical work, and pick a standard stack, but shaping damping force curves for one's favourite track is beyond the vast majority of those that could do the mechanical work. In fact, I'd say 95 + % of the people contemplating having work done, don't even understand damping force curves, but at least they know they need a better one while not knowing what it should be.

Street maybe, but for heavy track use, why not go to a whiz that knows what is needed and let them loose on one's forks? I got a real eye opening when I took my Race Tech computer selected build sheets into the chassis guy. One stack was changed a bit, the other noticeably. And when I picked up the forks he told me about the special drilling he did for a change to the Low Speed Compression, which is nowhere in the Race Tech instructions, in fact it's not even mentioned. One of the best bargain's I got for my 919 is the chassis expertise from Mr. Willie Vass in Carstairs Alberta.

post #13 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
I used to run modded VFR fender. Modded and painted by me. Fender can be found on ebay for $20. Few cans of crylon and you are in business.

I sold the whole assembly to andrewebay1. Andrew, let see some pics, I can't find any of my old pics after it was painted.
Which VFR is that from ?

post #14 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
here, I found it

Thanks for taking the time to dig out the pic.
Obviously this is the finished item.

post #15 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:17 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
One may be able to do the mechanical work, and pick a standard stack, but shaping damping force curves for one's favorite track is beyond the vast majority of those that could do the mechanical work. In fact, I'd say 95 + % of the people contemplating having work done, don't even understand damping force curves, but at least they know they need a better one while not knowing what it should be.

Street maybe, but for heavy track use, why not go to a whiz that knows what is needed and let them loose on one's forks? I got a real eye opening when I took my Race Tech computer selected build sheets into the chassis guy. One stack was changed a bit, the other noticeably. And when I picked up the forks he told me about the special drilling he did for a change to the Low Speed Compression, which is nowhere in the Race Tech instructions, in fact it's not even mentioned. One of the best bargain's I got for my 919 is the chassis expertise from Mr. Willie Vass in Carstairs Albert

95% who don't understand damping, don't do any fork work. The reason I told rmb to DIY, I offered him some help in the past with the shim stack.

As far as the track tunning and the track use, very true. One needs to work very closely with the suspension expert in order to fine tune and get the most out of it.
Any suspension expert will start the stack and comp/rebound setting from point A - rider weight/experience, some basic sag #s and track conditions.
After a few laps, that's when magic happens, it's very important having a suspension expert who will take your track riding experience/feeling and integrate into your suspension.

PS. RT gold valve stack is a very stupid stack, if you will. RT has a philosophy to open the valve as much as possible and then control damping with just a stack.
My favorite affordable valve kit to date is UES kit by Ohlins. Ohlins put much more thought into the valve design and honestly HMAS showa valves aren't that bad for the street. RT gold valves never again

post #16 of 17 Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
McTavish

Quote:
95% who don't understand damping, don't do any fork work. The reason I told rmb to DIY, I offered him some help in the past with the shim stack.

As far as the track tunning and the track use, very true. One needs to work very closely with the suspension expert in order to fine tune and get the most out of it.
Any suspension expert will start the stack and comp/rebound setting from point A - rider weight/experience, some basic sag #s and track conditions.
After a few laps, that's when magic happens, it's very important having a suspension expert who will take your track riding experience/feeling and integrate into your suspension.
There's no question that stack builds can be selected by a DIYer and end with something clearly superior to stock, and it will be A OK for the street.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Whitty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
if you really want to know, pm me. i will break it down for you. this thread is gettting a little jacked. wasent it about fenders or something?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode