Front Chicken Strips.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Front Chicken Strips....

Each time I get new tires, the mechanic writes all over the edges of them (curious how many miles it will take me to get rid of the chicken strips). He knows it drives me crazy, but at the same time I usually don't push it until at least 50 miles on the new tires (also remember it was in the 40's today). But, on to my question. How many folks actually got/get rid of the front chicken strips with only street riding. By the way, if you are full of S&^%, please don't respond. For me, I haven't been able to get rid of the front chicken strips on my 10, but my Shiver the shape of the tires was such that I was able to do it. I have only had 1 ride in the high 40's since putting the new tires on the 919, so I'm unsure with it.

If you are curious, it usually says stuff like: chicken strips, lean more, scrub me.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Not Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I am no where near wearing off the chicken stips on my front tire .Im not saying it cant be done but I would expect you would have to be dragen knees to do it .Not something Im willing to do on the street.So gl with that.

post #3 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I don't have strips front or rear but don't remember how long it took for them to go away... I have about 4700 miles on these tires

post #4 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

i did it on the last set of tires i got, both side of front completly gone, had the skid marks to prove it (in my shorts) i dont think i have a good picture but i will look. and it was not like i melted the edges but i did touch all the way round tire a few times

post #5 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk919 View Post
I am no where near wearing off the chicken stips on my front tire .Im not saying it cant be done but I would expect you would have to be dragen knees to do it .Not something Im willing to do on the street.So gl with that.
I'm curious to see how it will go on the 919. However, the shape of the front on the 10, and the fact that with the rear chicken strip gone and the front having close to 3/4 in, I don't think it will happen outside of a trackday. Only time will tell.

post #6 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I'm curious to see how it will go on the 919. However, the shape of the front on the 10, and the fact that with the rear chicken strip gone and the front having close to 3/4 in, I don't think it will happen outside of a trackday. Only time will tell.

It's a lot easier to clean them off on the 919 than it was on the cbr1000rr

Lots easier

post #7 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Getting rid of chicken strips is easy....just get some scotchbrite or sandpaper.

Seriously, though. Street riding at semi-sane speeds (read: ticket possible but no jail time) I wouldn't think you could get rid of the strips easily. I am not positive, but I have always had a least a little left over at the edge on my Speed Triple.

Shawn

post #9 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 

now it not clear from the photo there is a strip there from normal riding but if yo look close you can see that i have been all the way over. on the street. but a street where there is 0 house and 0 traffic, well beside the other bikes.

post #10 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Sike

With the 919, once the weather is a little better, I'm going to a local parking lot to get a feel for when the pegs (or other stuff) drag, and then going to the most incredible (albeit short) road near me to check it out. With the 10, I don't think I have gotten much closer than 1/2 inch from street riding.

post #11 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

i hit pegs all the time and never got rid of front strips before, the day this happend i was going wat too fast went into corner way to hard and no more chicken strip, and no peg grinding

post #12 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Just to be perfectly honest, getting rid of the unused portions of tire on the front is not a mark of honor. In fact, I know many regular track riders that never use all of the front. I always tried to see how little of the front and rear I could use while still improving my lap times. That meant I was using the bike to turn less and taking advantage of body positioning more.

Remember, if you are leaning the bike over that much, you have used all available traction those tires have to offer. If anything were to go awry, you have zero room for error. Through any given turn, you want the bike to be as upright as physically possible while maintaining the highest amount of cornerspeed allowable. Getting your ass out of the seat, leading with your knee, shoulder and elbow and trying to kiss the mirror is a fundamental start.

post #13 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

yea got all that but i did win $100 for being the first one last season with no strips left (game a buddy and i play) sound stupid i know but is fun. almost as dumb as the 4 corners race we do. see who can do the 4 corners of vt first with pictures. (i have not won that yet)

post #14 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Sike

[QUOTE=3dcycle;283345] sound stupid i know but is fun. QUOTE]

Bikes are all about fun. Of course saving some lean angle is a good thing, but sometimes a guy has to have fun, or a lot of time.... I have no racer-boy delusions, and don't even have a transponder for laptimes. I just go out and have a good time.

post #15 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #16 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i have a transponder (my toll tag)
But, does it tell you your laptimes.

post #17 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Chicken strips are all about tire profiles & the geometry )frotn & rear ride height) of the bike. The smaller the tire sidewall height i.e. going from a 120-70 to a 120-60 the easier it is to scrub the tire edge to edge. It is also easier to roll off the lip of the tire altogether

Some tires though are all but impossible to scrub all the way to the edge due to their carcass profile where some tires are more triangular shaped than rounded.

Bridgestones and Mezteler Sportec's are quite easy though

post #18 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
But, does it tell you your laptimes.
lol...

honestly i think in the not so distant future we could get mailed speeding tickets if your transponder makes it from toll booth to toll booth in too short of time...

all they have to do is divide distance by scan times....

its gonna happen

post #19 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Sike

Quote:
lol...

honestly i think in the not so distant future we could get mailed speeding tickets if your transponder makes it from toll booth to toll booth in too short of time...

all they have to do is divide distance by scan times....

its gonna happen
Yes, it is!!! And other silly crap like that!!!

post #20 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Discen

Quote:
i have a transponder (my toll tag)
What the heck is a toll tag?

2006 Honda 919
post #21 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
Getting rid of chicken strips is easy....just get some scotchbrite or sandpaper.

Seriously, though. Street riding at semi-sane speeds (read: ticket possible but no jail time) I wouldn't think you could get rid of the strips easily. I am not positive, but I have always had a least a little left over at the edge on my Speed Triple.

Shawn
Hmmm... well you said it yourself, Shawn, at the Shindig! Did you not forget?

Paraphrase: The suggested posted speed for any particular curve, does not represent the Speed Limit. The Speed Limit is posted on the Speed Limit sign, for that road, including the curves. With that said, I think it's not all that impossible to scrub them off while note excessively speeding over the Speed Limit!

post #22 of 76 Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
What the heck is a toll tag?

A little box that pays tolls for you so ya ain't gotta stop and dig your wallet out

post #23 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 04:35 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Hmmm... well you said it yourself, Shawn, at the Shindig! Did you not forget?

Paraphrase: The suggested posted speed for any particular curve, does not represent the Speed Limit. The Speed Limit is posted on the Speed Limit sign, for that road, including the curves. With that said, I think it's not all that impossible to scrub them off while note excessively speeding over the Speed Limit!
so if one was to double one such speed limit just to go through the corners then slow right back down would this be illeagle activity?

post #24 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 04:45 AM
CB900

I cant on my 9er, or the old hi sports or the new road 2's.
We have something called "safe-T-cam" over here that reads the time between checkpoints. ATM its only for trucks, but I think they'll do it for cars and bikes too.... I used to carry a stopwatch in my truck and if i was under would pull up just short of the cam and wait. Even 1 second is enuff for a fine! And they say its not revenue raising....

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #25 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

damn that sucks up in my neck of the woods there is only 1 toll plaza and that is 2 hours away on I95 where i dont go with my bike

post #26 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dcycle View Post
so if one was to double one such speed limit just to go through the corners then slow right back down would this be illeagle activity?
No, you can't double the speed

What I said was if a road is posted at 55MPH (White sign with SPEED LIMIT written on it) and you get to a corner with a yellow sign that has a picture of a corner and a 30MPH sign, the 30MPH sign is a suggested safe speed, not the speed limit. You can take the corner up to the speed limit and still be within the letter of the law. Now, most cops won't pull you until you are more then 10 over, so you could probably actually do it at 65 and get away with it, assuming you make it through.

Now, just because it is legal doesn't mean that you won't run into problems if you should happen to go down. It would be an at fault accident with probably a reckless driving ticket if you were going that much over what was posted as being safe, but you shouldn't get a ticket if you keep the shiny side up.

Shawn

post #27 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog32 View Post
And they say its not revenue raising....
They said the same think around here when installing red-light cameras. They are all about saftey, not about revenue. They ended up taking one down because it was not making enough money to support itself....deons't that mean people are being safe? Isn't that what they wanted? Yeah right...it's not about revenue....

Shawn

post #28 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
No, you can't double the speed

What I said was if a road is posted at 55MPH (White sign with SPEED LIMIT written on it) and you get to a corner with a yellow sign that has a picture of a corner and a 30MPH sign, the 30MPH sign is a suggested safe speed, not the speed limit. You can take the corner up to the speed limit and still be within the letter of the law. Now, most cops won't pull you until you are more then 10 over, so you could probably actually do it at 65 and get away with it, assuming you make it through.

Now, just because it is legal doesn't mean that you won't run into problems if you should happen to go down. It would be an at fault accident with probably a reckless driving ticket if you were going that much over what was posted as being safe, but you shouldn't get a ticket if you keep the shiny side up.

Shawn
i was joking, plus as long as u slow down just after the corner, cops wont be able to get a lock on u. in my experiance anyways.

post #29 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I got close on the 929 with the last set of Power Piltots I had. But on the 919, I always run out of clearence before I run out of rubber. I agree that some tires are a lot easier than others to scrub completely out.

post #30 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I got close on the 929 with the last set of Power Piltots I had. But on the 919, I always run out of clearence before I run out of rubber. I agree that some tires are a lot easier than others to scrub completely out.
the pilot powers are pretty easy to get everything scrubbed off..... i need to go ahead and remove the feelers from my pegs while there is still some left to grab with the vice grips..

and they have put cams up at a bunch of red lights here... but from the way they are all aimed they appear to be a traffic sensing thing .....

they are not aimed where they can get a license plate... when your at the light they are aimed at the front of your vehicle... and the wait at the lights and congestion is getting better soooo... i dunno

post #31 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have front chicken strips but not rear ones. I think if you drop your pressure a little it would be easier to get them gone, but I run my front at 35psi

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #32 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase

do what LDH does. front stand ans a belt sander

post #33 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Unfortunately my belt sander got stolen the last time I had a bunch of 919 riders over at the house so I've had to resort to the old fashioned way of removing the pussy stripes on my tires

& just for that comment alone 3d

post #34 of 76 Old 03-01-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Sike

Sometimes this really is funny!!!

post #35 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Tirone

on my hornet 900, the sides of the tyres are worn long before the middle of the tyre.

post #36 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

good one CB

post #37 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbf900 View Post
on my hornet 900, the sides of the tyres are worn long before the middle of the tyre.

Yea, but you still have the chicken strips that are the subject of the thread...

I see rim stripes too... Post a side shot of the bike so we can see the entire bike.

post #38 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Discen

Quote:
A little box that pays tolls for you so ya ain't gotta stop and dig your wallet out
You have to fork over your hard earned money for the privilege of driving on roads? That must really suck.

2006 Honda 919
post #39 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wolff View Post
You have to fork over your hard earned money for the privilege of driving on roads? That must really suck.
wow they let ya'll drive for free?!!?!?

meh... i rarely take a toll road.. and it year round summer here....

post #40 of 76 Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
hairball919

Red face

Call me an idiot but I'm STILL trying to figure out what Chicken Strips are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode