Front brake trouble - looking for help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Front brake trouble - looking for help

Hello gang, I am looking for help on a front brake problem with my 919. I just replaced the tires so the front wheel was off and back on. I didn't do anything to the brakes other than dismount the calipers as needed to remove the front wheel. The caliper did fall once or twice from where I had them set, but nothing seemed damaged. When the caliper fell I mean it fell about 6 inches and was then suspended by the hydraulic line. There didn't seem to be any damage and no fluid leaked, but I thought it was worth mentioning, it may not even be related.
The actual issue is that I have to pump the front brake lever a couple of times to get the brakes to work. The lever goes right to the grip at first then builds pressure as I pump it. What is the problem and how do I fix it? I thought about trying to bleed the brakes but without opening the lines why would I have to do that??? Thanks in advance. Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Immune

Sounds like air in the lines to me. Seems strange considering the lines wernt taken apart. You could have damaged them in one of the drops I guess.

Bleed new fluid. Who knows what happened? But leaving them the way they are is not an option.

post #3 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Your description of the problem implies that there indeed is air in the line that needs to be bled out. At this point, the why of it all is somewhat moot.
The question I have is, why remove the calipers? I can use a front stand, or in a pinch, suspend the front-end from the rafters, and drop the front wheel out in the process sliding the rotors out from the calipers.
This way, no oopsies or dropsies!
I prefer a vacuum bleeder, but there are those who profess that pumping is better. Any way you choose, bleed those brakes and you might as well replace the fluid while you're there.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #4 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
The question I have is, why remove the calipers? I can use a front stand, or in a pinch, suspend the front-end from the rafters, and drop the front wheel out in the process sliding the rotors out from the calipers.
You can?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

You may now be able to justify new braided stainless lines.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #6 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
You can?
Taking the front fender off simplifies things but yes, once the axle is out, the front wheel assembly can be dropped out.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Aquilifer

yup, rear too !

post #8 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
I'm a little slow in the head sometimes, can you give more detail on how you get the wheel assembly past the calipers without removing them?

post #9 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

I'm thinking it has to do with how high the front is suspended. I dont think I could using the front stand I use.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Remove the front fender. Turn the lower fork legs so the calipers face out once the axle is removed.

I think I'd rather remove the calipers.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Check that one or both of your discs aren't bent. Perhaps someone bent one disc while changing the tire. It should be obvious if this is the issue when you lift the front wheel and spin it. If it grabs hard at one point and stops or nearly does you might have an issue there. When my disc was warped a bunch it would push the pads away from the disc while I was moving so the first grab of the lever nearly brought it to the grip.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMulford View Post
Check that one or both of your discs aren't bent. Perhaps someone bent one disc while changing the tire. It should be obvious if this is the issue when you lift the front wheel and spin it. If it grabs hard at one point and stops or nearly does you might have an issue there. When my disc was warped a bunch it would push the pads away from the disc while I was moving so the first grab of the lever nearly brought it to the grip.
Finally! If the lever ever feels normal the problem is not air. As CMulford said, a bent rotor will cause the symptom you describe. Unfortunately the only real cure is to replace it -- while it is possible to straighten it, it's definitely not a job for the inexperienced.

Galfer rotors? What the heck.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 18 Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Centurion

I scratched the $#it out of both my front & rear wheels when I tried to remove the wheels with the calipers on. I'm not used to these new fangled fat 17" rims; I hail from dirt bikes.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks for the help. I'm still having a problem but Cmulford and Rob seem to have a good point. I have bled the lines a couple of times and that seems OK. At this point if the bike stays in one place the brake seems fine, but if I roll it and try again the handle goes to the grip on the first pull but restores to normal after that. Sounds like a bent rotor????

I did the tires myself and never dropped the wheel such that the rotor could have bent, but my tire changing station is in the basement where the boys play sometimes. I guess it is possible the wheel got knocked around w/o me knowing. I'll remove the rotors and check them.

Any other ideas?

Mike

post #15 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

A quick look at the rotors and I believe one of them is bent. Now, who has a good source for replacement rotors? I see the Gafler set is well over $500. That's not for me. I will do some shopping around and call the dealer, but is there a good source on the net? I don't want the cheapest out there but $500 isn't where I want to be either. Thanks again.

post #16 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I ended up buying the Galfers from RC90 (Motolube) and am happy with them on my 600RR. The stock ones are cheaper through Motolube or Ron Ayers, but not by much. Don't forget you'll be needing new pads to go with new rotors so that's gonna' bump up the cost even more.

post #17 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Aquilifer

other (readily attainable) hondas take the same rotor. ronayres.com's fiche can help you confirm p/n interchangability, and then you can cruise ebay looking for used take-offs from a 600f4i or some such. if cheap is your key.

also, good reason to keep kids out of the garage: it can kill you when your brakes fail.

sortof like why i bark at people who touch my bike at the strip. anything they touch COULD kill me.

if you're really certain you didn't bend the rotor yourself while you were reefing on the tire irons...nah, go yell at the kids !

post #18 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Bucky... it's actually http://www.ronayers.com/

(those of us with dyslexia can't see the difference until actually trying the link)

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to use it for other swappables

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode