Front brake light electrical connection... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Front brake light electrical connection...

So I was washing the 9'er today and noticed two small wires hanging conspicuously from under my front brake lever. Not that big of a deal as I was able to re-connect them but I found that I needed to re-crimp them in order to get them to stay. Some questions... is this common? due to vibrations? and should I have needed to re-crimp them? I'm not that worried about these wires but if this is typical of a new 9'ers electrical connections, I'm a little concerned what other hidden inconsistencies I may need to go looking for. Not to mention, it just hit me why so many people were riding my ass the whole way home today and that I must have appeared to possess the magical ability to keep my bike from rolling backwards while sitting at a stop light on an incline by only using my feet and my superior command of anti-gravity.

Similar experiences??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

This is the first time I've heard of any problem with the front brake light switch wires. It sounds like either the connectors were mishandled at the factory (unlikely), or they were pulled somehow while uncrating the bike at the dealership. Inspect the lugs on the switch for bending or some other evidence of having the wires forcibly pulled out.

Other than that, as long as the brake light comes on when the front brakes are applied you're probably good to go -- but make brake light function part of your preride walkaround just to be sure.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

first is a question how long you had bike?
second these are istalledat dealership as the handle bars are not mounted doing shippment. so if a new bike this could have happend. they should not need to be crimped. pull back the boot on them to ensure that you actually get the connectors together, without pulling the boot back you might miss and think you got it right.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Easy to knock off when washing a bike.

Like Rob said, a preride walkaround, including front lever and rear brake pedal light check is a must for your own safety.

If you're married you may want to check your front brake lines also. Maybe the wifey doesn't like you so much.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
boogerface

My front brake switch is finicky. When I test it, it flickers as if there's a grounding problem. Maybe some electric cleaner? New switch? Maybe I should whip out the Fluke... The rear brake is fine...

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #6 of 10 Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
My front brake switch is finicky. When I test it, it flickers as if there's a grounding problem. Maybe some electric cleaner? New switch? Maybe I should whip out the Fluke... The rear brake is fine...
When in doubt, whip it out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 10 Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah 3d, its a new bike. I pulled the boot back and saw that the connector was loose when trying to seat it on the post. I guess I didn't really "crimp" it but I did get the needle-nose pliers and squeeze the connector tighter onto the post. Looks like its in good shape now

Jim you may be on to something... my wife just had me increase my life insurance policy a couple of weeks ago...

Thanks for the replies

post #8 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 PM

Hey..another problem solved by the forum! My front brake wasn't engaging the light, and after a quick search here, I found my problem.

I had those two wires with the L shaped boots come loose on mine. I think they came off when I was cleaning bugs off of all the cables and lines about a month ago. Anyway, plugged them back in, and everything is good.

Definitely a good reminder to check these things more often! Or at least more often than me. Especially considering how much more the front brake is used vs the rear.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Discen

Funny you bring that up. I just washed my bike up today, and when I went to roll it back into the garage, I noticed those wires loose on mine as well. Didn't know what they were, but I saw where the two prongs were exposed so I plugged 'em back in and didn't think anything else about it. Brake light wire makes sense. I had to go out and test mine to make sure I got them seated enough.

2006 Honda 919
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd_one View Post
Not that big of a deal as I was able to re-connect them but I found that I needed to re-crimp them in order to get them to stay.

Similar experiences??
Same exact thing for me. They were still far more loose than I would have expected, so I had to pinch them on super tight with pliers.

2006 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode