Frame sliders on the 919. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Al

Frame sliders on the 919.

Took the 919 in for service a few days ago. The guys in the shop said, when I first bought it, that they would do a good deal for me with frame sliders but they would fit them for me when I bring it in for the first service,, and they did do a reasonable deal too. I got on the bike, rode off, got home, came onto the forum and checked the Helpful Topics thread and found the tip about about the sliders you should "NOT" fit as they bolt directly onto the engine mounts at the base of the left and right cylinders. I checked mine yesterday and was horrified to see the same type of mount. The bolt which holds them on, goes through the slider centre, into/through the alloy engine mount and into the frame, where it is anchored. Yikes, I thought... That's the type they reckon to watch out for...

I am going over to the shop tomorrow and asking for the original bolts, which were not give back to me and I might argue the point about these sliders... I am not sure whether I should ask to refund but I might end up taking them off and putting the original bolts back in. The last thing I want is to snap those mounts right off...

Is this broken mount thing with these sliders a big deal? Do they break the mounts easily etc etc...

Anyone know...!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

there is a picture floating around in the forum somewhere that shows a broken engine tab and you can see inside the tab itself. I just had mine on the tab until seeing the picture and decided to go yo home depot and spend 5 bucks to get a 30 inch rod and some nuts and cut the rod down and mounted to the frame of the bike below the radiator instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slider.jpg (211.2 KB, 69 views)

post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Al

Zookmor,,
You've convinced me. I too will try something like yours....
Hey man - Thanks for that...

post #4 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 05:39 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

crap, I too have the same sliders, damnit

post #5 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I used the same mounting location as Zook for my T-Rex sliders, except I tapped the hole and bolted the sliders in with some blue Loctite.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda Addict

Mounting the sliders thru the front subframe is obviously the best idea. Not going to argue the logic of that.

But for the record here, the photos of the broken engine mount were from a 919 that saw a lot of extreme "stunta" action. The individual that had the nasty result shown in those photos was spending a lot of time riding around on the rear wheel at speed. I know who it was but don't wish to point fingers. The damage shown was obviously the result of a hard stunt crash.

I say this because I still have the Sato sliders mounted thru the motor. Went down a few years ago in a low side at about 60mph. Hit a wet spot in a long curve runing the original Pilot Sports and it got out from under me. The left side slider was ground off quite a bit. The good news was the engine tab is still solid.

I intend to switch to the Motovation sliders in the future just for peace of mind.

CeeBee919 - Figured I'd share this to relieve a bit of that "oh $hit" feeling of realizing the shop mounted them that way. It's not the most ideal place to mount them but tougher than you think.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
CeeBee919 - Figured I'd share this to relieve a bit of that "oh $hit" feeling of realizing the shop mounted them that way. It's not the most ideal place to mount them but tougher than you think.
For your peace of mind also, REDROKR. Wasn't close paying attention earlier. Noticed that you're in Harrison, AR. Awesome riding in your neck of the woods! Shoot me a PM sometime.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

+1 razorbike. I have the sliders mounted there as well with no problems. I ground one of my satos right down until the engine case was grinding. Still no breakage. I am not moving mine to the sub-frame. Just because there is one bike that had a tab break doesn't make it a bad idea. Just bad luck.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM
McTavish

I saw the picture of the broken motor casing tab - before I put my Sato slider kit on. I also someone's posting of using the plastic plugged holes in the frame as a mounting point. Drill with no bigger than a R letter drill and then tap with 10 mm X 1.25 pitch thread and voila, better mounting point. Strictly speaking, a 11/32 drill should be used, but chuck runout and hand held drill = oversize hole. In fact, if I was to do it again, I'd use a Q letter drill. I used a cheap tap, so it may have been a bit oversized. Anyway, start with Q and go up in size from there if you need to. Now to the mounting debate. Personally, I think a rigid mounting point is best. A engine/frame point sounds ideal, right ? Folks, get on your knees and have a real close look at what the engine tab really mounts to. Yes, behind the tab is steel frame tubing but the arrangement is really a hanger attached to the main frame tube that crosses the front of the bike ahead of the two forward engine mounting points (one each on left and right). The hanger attaches to the main frame with a slightly reinforced single section piece that is weak for side loads. The hanger is NOT truly rigid. Which means that in a get off, the engine tab will see loads that can exceed its strength limit and result in a breakage. Note I said "can exceed " and not "will exceed" , but why take a chance. It's an easy job to use the other holes.The holes I refer to have the black plastic plugs in them and are about 2 inches away from the engine bolt and in the main framework. Oh yes, you'll need shorter bolts than the Sato kit comes with. Use 60 mm long on the right and 80 on the left.

Sandy in Calgary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode