Frame/engine buzzzz - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Back in the day

Frame/engine buzzzz

I have a 2005 919 with about 6200 miles all stock except for suburban bars,gel grips, Ventura rack and Honda windscreen and center stand. Tires are contiforce max and freshly balanced, with low mileage. Chain in good condition same with sprockets. Bike had been drooped, by previous owner, while not in motion damage to tank, stator cover and seat cowl. Bike starts and runs very well. Good fuel mileage 40+.

From 3000 rpm on up the bike has a hard vibration/buzz. The tank, seat, pegs and handlebars all buzz the same. Cruising at 4500 to 5000 rpm I have pulled in the clutch and let the motor idle and the buzz goes away. The buzz in the tank is the greatest as it is bolted to the frame as is the engine. I can live with the seat and foot pegs but the handlebars put my right hand numb. Below 3000 rpm the vibration is very low/smooth.

I hope that you have some thoughts as to a cure or an amelioration of the problem. If I am unable to get this under control the bike will have to go.

Otherwise I really like the the bike. It does all that I ask of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I'm not familiar with the Suburban bars but I'm sure you'll hear from other owners. You may want to search on 'buzzy bars' -- I'm pretty sure there were other threads about this and suggested fixes.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Check the exhaust hanger under the engine. I've heard of them breaking and causing vibrations.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I had been running the baffelectomy for 3 years. Maybe some other Sato owners can chime in.... I think my bike is noticeably smoother since I put the Satos on.

The 17t front sprocket is another little trick that some of us have used. I have gone back to stock gearing. It works well for my application.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Cool Vibes

How bad is the vibration? Does it get progressively worse the higher it's revved, or does it stay the same? Are there smooth spots (as it were) at certain revs? As the engine is solidly bolted down and has no counterbalancers, some vibration is normal, but how much is too much? Without riding it, there is no way for any of us to tell.
Paradoxically, a no speed drop can do more damage than while it is rolling, and is sometimes harder to figure out what actually is wrong with it. There is a possibility the stator cover damage is indicating a bent generator rotor, which I have seen, but this will show up as vibration whenever the engine is revved regardless of whether it is rolling or not. Just a thought.
Past that, I recommend loosening all the exhaust hardware except the flange bolts at the head, then tightening them back down starting at the front and working back. This not only lets the system "relax", it also is a good way to inspect everything for bending/other damage. After that, check all the engine mount bolts for proper tightness, and all frame tabs for damage, particularly the front mount tabs, which have a habit of cracking.
Remote diagnosis is frustrating -- any experienced 919 rider could probably tell you exactly what is wrong after a 1/2 mile ride, but since this is unlikely to happen, all we can do is suggest things to look for, and hope we get lucky.
Good luck with this, and here's hoping it's something minor.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Back in the day

Thanks for the info. I had loosened the whole exhaust system when I put on the center stand. The vibration had not changed. I will disassemble and inspect the exhaust system again and hopefully that will help. As to the severity of the vibration that is subjective. It is a high frequency, for a mechanical devise, type vibration. It is worse then my Norton was but that was directly tied to the engine even though it was rubber mounted.

What are the torque specs on the frame mount fasteners? How many bolts brakets etc.

I really like this bike.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Back in the day

Took apart and removed all of the exhaust system except for the header flange. Re-torqued the header flange and reassembled the exhaust. It made a very noticeable difference. Very smooth up to 4000 rpm and then the vibes are considerable reduced. Also found that the seat was touching the frame just behind where the seat goes under the tank. Four little marks on the frame from the seat. Will fix that with some hard foam/rubber.

Now the mufflers have movement. How much should the mufflers move side to side, looking from the back of the bike to the front? Or should they move at all?

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 AM
Tired of Tirone

Torque values from the 2002-2003 factory manual;

exhaust pipe joint flange nut - 14lbt*ft - 20 N*m
exhaust pipe mounting bolt - 20lbt*ft - 27 N*m
exhaust pipe band bolt - 20lbt*ft - 27 N*m
muffler band flange bolt - 20lbt*ft - 27 N*m
muffler mounting bolt - 20lbt*ft - 27 N*m

I have an '03 with erion after market cans (collector edition) and they don't move at all. When I wiggle the cans; I wiggle the whole bike.

Hope this helps.

You're kinda' close to me - Some day we'll have to meet in the middle for a ride. When I get up your way, I usually have a fly rod in my hand and a kayak on my cage.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 AM
919 City Pilot

Loose a rubber spacer under the heat shields.?? Perhapes your can is coming apart inside-just thoughts~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode