Fork Seal Job - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Fork Seal Job

Reading threads here.... just found my left seal is leaking while checking the bike out before i try to get it sold.

I'm gonna try the seal cleaning with a piece of film first just to be sure it's not dirt...but I'm never that lucky

Thinking if i replace one... i do both.

Any seals to prefer or stay away from when doing this?

I assume to do this, i'll be changing the oil too... i see someone here recommends maxima 10w RACING... that a good call, or look for something else?

anyone know the driver size for the seals? my friends who help/do this have stuff for their other honda bikes, and if i'm lucky the driver size will match... whether it's a real driver... or pvc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 05:22 PM
Optio

Garage
I would stick with OEM. They're good quality and cost roughly the same. Maybe a couple bucks more than aftermarket. I can't remember if the driver is 41 or 43mm, I would have to look at mine but it's at the new house. Far as fluid, you will have everything apart. Might as well swap it out. I use Maxima 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #3 of 7 Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Pilus Posterior

I just did mine a few weeks ago, made a huge difference as my leak allowed water into the fork!

I used a PVC pipe that was cut to make slots so that I could use a hose clamp to make the correct size. It worked like a champ.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 AM
The Instigator

Speaking of fork seals, if one were to be stupid enough to allow some brake fluid drip down the fork without noticing, would that be enough to destroy a seal?

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #5 of 7 Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Speaking of fork seals, if one were to be stupid enough to allow some brake fluid drip down the fork without noticing, would that be enough to destroy a seal?
I think if you were to flush it out soon enough, you'd be fine. I think it's the different kinds of fluids and how they mix that could be a problem. I would guess that the damage would be the seal going bad and you'll know about that over time.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2017, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

going to pick up parts today... reading other threads about possible o-ring needs when taking this apart... in this diagram are we talking part 23 or 24 for the o-rings that may need to be replaced?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...1030#sch421803

also how much oil per fork will i need to have?
and how much difference between using maxima 7 wt vs maxima 10 wt? (10 appears to be stock weight...that's why i ask)

post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carphunter View Post
going to pick up parts today... reading other threads about possible o-ring needs when taking this apart... in this diagram are we talking part 23 or 24 for the o-rings that may need to be replaced?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...1030#sch421803

also how much oil per fork will i need to have?
and how much difference between using maxima 7 wt vs maxima 10 wt? (10 appears to be stock weight...that's why i ask)
1 Liter did both forks. I'll let someone else talking about the wt, but I went stock. Basically it's about how thick the oil is and that's about the speed that it flows thru the holes. It can be used to fine tune, but the stock 919 front is not known as the best and since mine is bone stock, I went with OEM.

The o-rings on mine were fine, I reused them, but I imagine they are cheap.

I used brake cleaner on mine because I had sludge built up after water got in. Some don't like that and others say put some fluid in there and flush out the cleaner, then fill with clean fork oil. I didn't bother with that, just cleaned dried and refilled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode