Fork Oil Questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 2 Old 11-26-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Fork Oil Questions

Stock fork on a 02 919. I want to change the fluid & did some searching here & got confused. The FSM calls out a height of 155mm of Honda SS-8 measured without the springs.

A lot of references here to 125mm--why so much more than the FSM? Is the 125mm with or without springs?

I saw some references to a low cost Traxxion Dynamics "kit" but can't find anything on their web page. Where can I find info?

I'm not interested in an any high dollar mod as I am just a basic rider & this is a 13 year old basic bike but would be open to any easy or low cost improvements while I'm in there. Really my only complaint from stock is it bottoms HARD on railroad tracks, bottoms on other big bumps, & some decent brake dive. I am down to about 175 lb in street clothes & have a 04 stock shock. The 02 shock was a catapult.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
Stock fork on a 02 919. I want to change the fluid & did some searching here & got confused. The FSM calls out a height of 155mm of Honda SS-8 measured without the springs.

A lot of references here to 125mm--why so much more than the FSM? Is the 125mm with or without springs?

I saw some references to a low cost Traxxion Dynamics "kit" but can't find anything on their web page. Where can I find info?

Really my only complaint from stock is it bottoms HARD on railroad tracks, bottoms on other big bumps, & some decent brake dive.
Traxxion sell springs - their site has a rider weight and intended use calculator which you might find helpful, especially if your fork truly is bottoming out. What they call a kit appears to be springs and spacers. <http://www.traxxion.com/Fork-Spring-Kits-by-Traxxion-Dynamics/>

Yes, I believe you would measure the oil height in the fork with the springs out of the way.

The effect of raising the oil height is to reduce the air space remaining inside the fork, so as the fork compresses there is less space for it to compress into, the air pressure raises and resists further compression, offering a bit of help to the spring. If the difference in heights seems dramatic, I guess it's a road-tested response to the soft front-end issues you are describing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode