fork oil on brake pads. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

fork oil on brake pads.

Hey guys well i took my 919 out after sitting for two weeks... i know i shoulda never let her sit that long here in sunny so cal... but sking and dirbiking were more important. Anyways i had a small fork seal leak and when i parked my 919 2 weeks ago i got a coupla drips of oil onto the front left pads. and it was noticible how much less she was able to stop when i took her out on the short ride today.

So what are ways to get oil out of pads and off the rotor. Im currently soaking the pads in some 91% isopropol alcohol and ill buy some break cleaner tomorrow.. I have heard that you could take a torch and essentially burn off any oil that its impregnated into the pad so ima give that a short unless people say otherwise.

Thoughts opinions and ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
Hey guys well i took my 919 out after sitting for two weeks... i know i shoulda never let her sit that long here in sunny so cal... but sking and dirbiking were more important. Anyways i had a small fork seal leak and when i parked my 919 2 weeks ago i got a coupla drips of oil onto the front left pads. and it was noticible how much less she was able to stop when i took her out on the short ride today.

So what are ways to get oil out of pads and off the rotor. Im currently soaking the pads in some 91% isopropol alcohol and ill buy some break cleaner tomorrow.. I have heard that you could take a torch and essentially burn off any oil that its impregnated into the pad so ima give that a short unless people say otherwise.

Thoughts opinions and ideas welcome.
Pitch the pads.
The fluid will have wicked into the matrix.
Alcohols are not as strong a solvent as likely needed, and the strength likely needed would break down the binders (like acetone or lacquer thinner).
Get new pads !!!!!
Clean the disk repeatedly with a really hot solvent like acetone.
Lacquer thinner as second choice and easy to clean.
If you can't buy acetone, you may be able to get it disguised as pre solvent weld cleaner for plastic piping, Oatey being a brand I found at Home Depot.
Lacquer thinner will work nicely, noting I tend to fall into the trap of using 10 # solutions for 1 # problems. And Acetone is seriously nasty stuff, especially in confined spaces.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Pitch the pads.
The fluid will have wicked into the matrix.
Alcohols are not as strong a solvent as likely needed, and the strength likely needed would break down the binders (like acetone or lacquer thinner).
Get new pads !!!!!
Clean the disk repeatedly with a really hot solvent like acetone.
Lacquer thinner as second choice and easy to clean.
If you can't buy acetone, you may be able to get it disguised as pre solvent weld cleaner for plastic piping, Oatey being a brand I found at Home Depot.
Lacquer thinner will work nicely, noting I tend to fall into the trap of using 10 # solutions for 1 # problems. And Acetone is seriously nasty stuff, especially in confined spaces.

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!
Hot solvent is a figure of speech, and does not mean heat it up - DON"T !

post #4 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I wouldn't bother with them. I'd toss them out and buy new, but YMMV.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

ill give it my best at cleaning... but it wouldnt kill me to buy new ones. Question is should i grab a whole new set or just ones for that side? Id be buying oem ones if i bought for just one side.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

If your replacing brake pads, replace both sides. OEM pads work good, I'd stick with em

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Fork oil is VERY slippery...more slippery than motor oil by a longshot! Take the advice of the guys above and replace your pads...both sides if you want to do it right.
Acetone, brake cleaner and laquer thinner will all leave a residue on the rotor that will affect braking performance, especially laquer thinner, but it's necessary to use one to break down all the friction modifiers in the fork oil. Wash your rotors with hot soapy water (liquid dish soap) and a scotch-brite pad to get rid of the residue. This will also help get rid of some of the embedded brakepad material that builds up on your rotors as well. You might even want to scrub your rotors again after bedding in the new brake pads.

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode