Flyscreen or not ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Flyscreen or not ?

I have just purchased a new 919 (Hornet in Australia) and am trying to decide if I should install a flyscreen. Most of my riding is on country roads at about 100kmh (60 mph) for an hour or two. I dont want to lose the cool naked look and wonder how functional the screens are. Here in Oz, National Cycle F15, F16 and F18 are available. I would welcome opinions, pros and cons and how easy they are to install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'd say yes, I've been riding without one and while most of my riding is at about the same speed, it gets increasingly tiring at speeds just a tad faster. I just don't have the funds at the moment for the upgrade.

post #3 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I had the OEM flyscreen on my 919 when I bought it. It wasn't very useful as far as wind management goes, and once you get up to 60 and higher it's nearly useless.

Any windscreens' effectiveness is going to be determined by how tall you are and how fast you ride. The taller you are, the more wind you'll get. Since it's a new bike to you, I'd recommend riding it for a thousand miles and then reassess your windscreen needs.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Tirone

Hi, i find that u can go slightly faster while trying out ur top speed with a shield (with me prone down behind it). else, it just might improve the fuel consumption by just a bit with the slight improved aerodynamic of the bike.

post #5 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I rode for a year without one and it was fine. I recently bought a Givi off of e-bay for $19 (a lil taller than the OEM). Figured at that price it was worth a try. After having it on for about a month, I would have to say that it doesnt make that big of a difference as Ken said, but I do like the looks of it on the bike

post #6 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

I have the National Cycle F16 (which I think is a bit shorter than the 18) and I think it compliments the "look" just fine. As far as looks on a naked bike are concerned I didn't want anything really big. The main reason I got one was to take some of the wind off my chest. I am about 5'10" tall and have a Corbin seat. In my opinion the screen does a nice job of reducing the amount of wind impacting the chest area. The head/helmet area is still totally in the wind.

post #7 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Tirone

My vote is no screen at all. Over the years I've had three naked and eight faired bikes. All faired bikes except an 08 kawa ZZR600 put at least some wind blast/turbulence right at the neck/helmet which I find very annoying even with ear plugs. The 919 and most nakeds leave your head in a relatively clean air flow,much smoother and quieter. My other nakeds were a 2000 nighthawk 750 and an '06 sv650. The 919 beats those two bikes at air flow management for two main reasons. First, the 919 has less force pulling my legs away from the tank. Secondly, the shape and location of the headlight/instruments offers a surprising amount of protection. Another too infrequently mentioned way of dealing with wind on any naked is your gear. Wearing snug fitting gear reduces felt wind noise,drag, turbulence and flapping. PhilS, the 919 is perfect as is for the 60ish speeds you're running. I find my 919 ok up to about 70 actual speed. If anybody wants to cruise much faster than that, a good faired bike is the way to go.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 05:12 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I have a stock windscreen on mine and it seems to help some. It takes some of the blast off your mid section and lower chest while giving your head clean air to cut through. I like the way it looks without the screen better, but hate cleaning all the bug guts off the back of the gauges.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 05:28 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

ditto for me murphy, yucky bugs, but as a high note, i have watched big bugs zing right off my screen, really neat to see

post #10 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Optio

I've rode with the National Cycle F-16 tall, no screen and this summer with the OEM one.

Wouldn't take mine off now for anything, higher speeds it gets quite a bit of pressure off your chest, haven't noticed an increase in noise with it on either.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 09:08 AM
rider

i have the nat'l f-18. works good, looks good, takes about 15 minutes to install.

post #12 of 24 Old 10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I like my Givi 240A. Wouldn't be without it.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I have the F-18 as well. Love it. Looks sexy, takes some wind off your chest. A little more wind noise however, but worth it.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 07:40 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

I have the OEM screen and only take it off when using my tank-mounted camcorder. It's more useful as a flyscreen than a windscreen. It actually creates more turbulence and wind noise. I have tinnitis from my Army years as a tank mechanic (running the motors out of the hull with no mufflers ), rock concerts, and shooting firearms with no hearing protection, so noise is not an issue.

IMO bike looks sportier with the OEM screen painted black.

It also helps on the track at 100+ mph, especially on a windy day at Willow Springs.

post #15 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
I have the OEM screen and only take it off when using my tank-mounted camcorder. It's more useful as a flyscreen than a windscreen. It actually creates more turbulence and wind noise. I have tinnitis from my Army years as a tank mechanic (running the motors out of the hull with no mufflers ), rock concerts, and shooting firearms with no hearing protection, so noise is not an issue.

IMO bike looks sportier with the OEM screen painted black.

It also helps on the track at 100+ mph, especially on a windy day at Willow Springs.
"Hairy the Hornet" approves your post.

post #16 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Hi All <S>,

I picked up my new 2007 919 two weeks and two days ago. Love it 1200 miles already, big change from my BMW 650. Anyway, regarding this post, here is my NC F-16 fairing. I've used it for the past 600 miles. It stays. Takes the pressure off the chest area, helmet area is still pretty turbulence free.

post #17 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Awards Showcase

Welcome aboard Bike#9 and congrats on the new bike.

Make sure to check this out: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=1209

And the Periodic Ride thread by Rob Tharalson.

post #18 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks Sokali,

I read most of the "How to" articles (and past forum post) in the couple weeks leading up to my purchase. This site was a great help. I didn't want the cramped riding sport bike position (and I couldn't afford the BMW MegaMoto so it came down to the Suzuki 1250 Bandit and the 919. ~Same HP/torque but less weight with the 919. Plus I like the Honda looks/build quality.

post #19 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike#9 View Post
Thanks Sokali,

I read most of the "How to" articles (and past forum post) in the couple weeks leading up to my purchase. This site was a great help. I didn't want the cramped riding sport bike position (and I couldn't afford the BMW MegaMoto so it came down to the Suzuki 1250 Bandit and the 919. ~Same HP/torque but less weight with the 919. Plus I like the Honda looks/build quality.
You definitely made the right decision.

Is that the San Bernardino mountains in the background?

Next Sunday the 12th is our next group ride in the Santa Monica mountains; we meet in Calabasas at 10 am, it usually lasts about 3 hours. Rob and XRMikey start off with some tips and suggestions to improve our riding before hitting the twisties. Don't know where you are but you should try to make it.

Mike

post #20 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 09:13 PM

I always thought flyscreens were fairly useless.... Looks like I might have thought wrong.

I've got the F16 penciled in on my xmas list...

post #21 of 24 Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 PM

Hi Sokali,

That picture was taken between Mt. Laguna and Julian, east of San Diego. It is my couple times a week ride area

post #22 of 24 Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Tirone

I have the F-16 ride @ 95-100 mph indicated 140 miles a day to and from work
70 miles one way Im 5ft 6 in tall before the screen 75 80ish as wind would tire me out the only thing I dont like about the screen is the flexing it does .
the wind is off my chest but get a little bobble headed passing tractor trailers and large suvs other than that I love it .

post #23 of 24 Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Fyscreen or not

Thanks to everyone for their points of view. With the riding I have done so far on the bike and at the speeds I do, I have found it quite comfortable without a screen. If I get one it will probably only be to make the bike look better (IMO).

post #24 of 24 Old 10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

I absolutely liked my F16 screen. It lessened the buffeting while riding I 95 and dealing with semi's at 80 mph.
Positively allowed me to tuck behind it and stay warmer during those colder evenings when caught out after dark, riding home during our colder winter months here in the SC coastal area.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode