First Track Day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 52 Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Optio

First Track Day

Went to my first track day Sunday. Enjoyed it immensely, and yes, I ran it with the sidecases on! Don't bother commenting on my poor form. I know I suck. But the 9er performed like a champ. Rock solid all day, even though there were a record amount of wrecks due to a few wet spots on the track. Anyway, learned a lot, and highly recommend it to anyone out there just considering it. Really a blast, and well worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_10500.jpg (83.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_10774.jpg (62.9 KB, 99 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay313 View Post
Went to my first track day Sunday. Enjoyed it immensely, and yes, I ran it with the sidecases on! Don't bother commenting on my poor form. I know I suck. But the 9er performed like a champ. Rock solid all day, even though there were a record amount of wrecks due to a few wet spots on the track. Anyway, learned a lot, and highly recommend it to anyone out there just considering it. Really a blast, and well worth it.

Congrats!!! There isn't anything wrong with your form. You have your elbows down (a common error is elbows up, so that a person isn't pushing correctly on the bars), you are looking through the corner, you have the balls of your feet on the pegs. Leaning off the bike is an arguable point, and truly isn't necessary until speeds way faster than even most trackday riders ride.

Big questions, did you scrape the sidecases down???

post #3 of 52 Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

hey man, dont dog yourself... as long as you got out there and had fun is all that matters! I personally have never been on a street track, but ridden dirt track long enough to know that most of the ppl out there are there to have fun and thats what counts!

Note: .... sliders... MOVE EM TO THE FRAME!!!... FIRST thing i did when i got my 919 which had engine mounted sliders, Bought a drill n tap for the biggest bolt i could get to go to the frame.

post #4 of 52 Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Congrats!!! There isn't anything wrong with your form. You have your elbows down (a common error is elbows up, so that a person isn't pushing correctly on the bars), you are looking through the corner, you have the balls of your feet on the pegs. Leaning off the bike is an arguable point, and truly isn't necessary until speeds way faster than even most trackday riders ride.

Big questions, did you scrape the sidecases down???
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Scraped the pegs way before the knee or sidecases could drag! Decided to leave them on for two reasons: First, wanted to keep the same set up I use for everyday riding so that I would feel the same on the street as I had on the track, and second, because those particular Givi cases are relatively inexpensive compared to what I might damage if I low-sided. Thought of them like big sliders. What was funny about it was that all the GSXR's and CBRR's seemed really bugged by it every time I passed them (or they couldn't pass me). Think it hurt their egos to be stuck behind a "bagger."

On the sliders, I've debated moving them to the frame, as I've seen Mr. Mike's pics of broken engine mounts. However, it seemed to me that the one common denominator was that the sliders in question all had aluminum reinforcement, No. 8 hardness bolts, or other "strengtheners." Personally, I think the problem was with the sliders themselves, not the mounting point. A No. 5 hardness bolt (vs. No. 8) should bend before it breaks before an engine mount. If I ever do go down, God forbid, I guess I'll find out whether my theory is correct.

post #5 of 52 Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

great job, love the bags, totally agree with your logic. I use my turn signals.

when is your next day?

post #6 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Sike

Quote:
What was funny about it was that all the GSXR's and CBRR's seemed really bugged by it every time I passed them (or they couldn't pass me). Think it hurt their egos to be stuck behind a "bagger."

Keep doing trackdays and you will have the luck to be in a group with a Busa (please note I love Busa's). The majority of Busa owners would never think about a trackday, but occasionally one shows up. They take it extremely poorly when you keep passing them mid-corner.

I think one of the fun things about a trackday (maybe because I'm a Sike), is watching the people and listening to their "talk" before the first session. The person doing the most "talking" will usually either crash in the first session or be so scared that they need an instructor riding with them. Amazingly fun to watch (as long as nobody gets hurt, too badly that is). For me, I still get really nervous (almost scared) before the first session, then it all goes away within the first couple of laps.

So, anybody still holding out on trackdays, their is a lot of fun stuff to see/watch!!!

post #7 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
On the sliders, I've debated moving them to the frame, as I've seen Mr. Mike's pics of broken engine mounts...I guess I'll find out whether my theory is correct.
Not trying to rain on your parade in the least, but move the sliders. Why test a theory with a broken ENGINE MOUNT?!?!?

That's awesome that you kept the bags on!! Glad you had great fun!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #8 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
So, anybody still holding out on trackdays, their is a lot of fun stuff to see/watch!!!

As soon as the 2010 schedule is up for NESBA, I'll be scoping it out to pick a day that works for me.

I have everything else needed, bike, gear etc.

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #9 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Congrats. looks like so much fun. Next summer I am going to do one for sure.

BOOM CHICKA
post #10 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I love the bags too !!

post #11 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Congrats!

I'm planning on doing my first trackday next month

post #12 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
Not trying to rain on your parade in the least, but move the sliders. Why test a theory with a broken ENGINE MOUNT?!?!?

That's awesome that you kept the bags on!! Glad you had great fun!
Hmmm. Yeah. Your logic makes more sense than mine. Just not excited to drill into the frame and buy a set of taps for one project. Maybe I'm just lazy and found a way to justify my laziness . . .

Nesty: Season only has one more day in my neck of the woods. I definitely want to do more, though. Probably will try to locate a cheap set of leathers over the winter and do two or three days next season. Can't afford a bunch of them without the wifey sitting up and taking notice, you know?

sike: I hear you on the talk. Another guy in my group of novice riders had done one track day, and he kept trying to give advice like he was one of the instructors. I was just on the verge of telling him to shut the he!! up so I could listen to the real instructor when the real instructor took care of it for me. Of course, the guy was a Ducati rider!

Since we were the level 1's, we only were allowed to pass in straights. Most of the serious sport bikes I passed were of two types: One was the guys who took the turn in the wrong gear and couldn't spin up their RPMs fast enough to stick with me coming out of the turn; the other were the guys who flew down the straight but braked way early so that I passed them before I braked for the turn.

It really was a blast. Can't say that often enough, even though the track was so saturated from recent rains that we had water seeping through on a few turns. Instructors said they'd never seen so many people go down at this track (about 9, I think). Most were in the top group running at higher speeds, although we did have one guy in our novice group go down twice -- once on his Multistrada and once on his wife's Aprilia. Same turn on both! What a moron!

post #13 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sike: I hear you on the talk. Another guy in my group of novice riders had done one track day, and he kept trying to give advice like he was one of the instructors. I was just on the verge of telling him to shut the he!! up so I could listen to the real instructor when the real instructor took care of it for me. Of course, the guy was a Ducati rider!

Hehe, yea there is something about Ducati & Triumph Riders that when they first get to a track after years of street riding they can't seem to control the wire between their ass & mouth because they are constantly spewing sh!t I've seen many of them pulled out of the kitty litter before noon...

I can't really recall any of the students being disruptive in the classroom to the point I had to stifle them, but as the Lead Instructor I have had group instructors underneath me try to expound or add in way too much extraneous info which just burdens the students even further. We've already dumped a ton of rules on them as well as the classroom lesson and a drill they need to practice on the track ON TOP of them already being nervous or anxious plus their mind is already wandering/wondering if they filled the bike up with gas or checked their tire pressure properly etc and then I got some instructor stopping me at every other word to explain in detail something that NOBODY is going to remember in 5 minutes. Hell most new riders can't even remember the group # they have been assigned let alone some advanced technique they will never grasp until they have multiple trackdays worth of experience under their belt.

Best just to get them out on the track & keep them safe for the first few outings

post #14 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Congrats!

don't put your training wheels too low or you won't be able to lean it over in the curves.......

post #15 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
don't put your training wheels too low or you won't be able to lean it over in the curves.......

Hey don't make fun of me I'm working on my lean angle

post #16 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
If I have to lean over, then I'm never going back. I've heard you can crash if you lean over.

post #17 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Hey don't make fun of me I'm working on my lean angle
thats the spirit...

post #18 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
Congrats!

hahah, shut the hell up..

OP, thats bad ass being out there with the luggage bags on. lol

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #19 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
If I have to lean over, then I'm never going back. I've heard you can crash if you lean over.
Watch that inherently dangerous front brake, too. Best not to touch it.

LDH: Actually, it was after we left the classroom and broke into groups that Ducati guy couldn't shut up. People were asking advice/questions of our group instructor, and loudmouth would answer before the instructor. Making me crazy . . .

Thanks, snik. I got a little kick out of it, too. Kind of like my golf game. I'm the guy with hand-me-down clubs beating the pants off the dude with every new stick and gizmo he can buy.

post #20 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Quote:
Hell most new riders can't even remember the group # they have been assigned let alone some advanced technique they will never grasp until they have multiple trackdays worth of experience under their belt.

Best just to get them out on the track & keep them safe for the first few outings
Couldn't agree with you more on this one. There was so much crap floating around in my head that I could hardly remember where I was on the track the first session. Second session, I almost never took it out of third gear, just trying to think about looking through the turns and getting the line right (or as close to right as I could manage). I got a little quicker and actually used 4th once in a while the rest of the day, but I had to concentrate on a few simple things at a time. No way I could've put to use everything I heard. Couldn't even remember half of it once I pulled on the helmet.

post #21 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more on this one. There was so much crap floating around in my head that I could hardly remember where I was on the track the first session. Second session, I almost never took it out of third gear, just trying to think about looking through the turns and getting the line right (or as close to right as I could manage). I got a little quicker and actually used 4th once in a while the rest of the day, but I had to concentrate on a few simple things at a time. No way I could've put to use everything I heard. Couldn't even remember half of it once I pulled on the helmet.

Funny you say that because the curriculum I use when I teach the class is the first session is simply some very painfully slow sighting laps to show the students how wide the track is & then where the "assumed" race line is.

Second Session: I do a single gear drill (not to be confused with a No Brakes drill). This teaches them about momentum & cornerspeed and proper lines while taking the focus off of braking & shifting.

Third Session: 2 Gear Drill where we combine everything from the first 2 sessions into an effort of 1. braking 2. downshifting and 3. getting right back on the gas as soon as possible even if only maintenance throttle. By this time I am throwing them curveballs with their braking marker references and letting them pass others while being evaluated by their group instructors.

4th Session: Body positioning. Setting up for the turn in advance so you don't upset the chassis mid-turn etc...

After that I start to give them a lot more free rein of the track & let my individual group instructors take over from there.

post #22 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

That sounds solid LDH. I like that breakdown

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #23 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Optio

I think you got it right by design. I stumbled into it out of dumb luck. Our instruction was similar in the first session, but after that it was a mix of body position and cornering technique. My only real complaint would be that they did not really have a coordinated plan to translate what they were telling us onto the track. We would get classroom instruction, but then it was like, "you're up," and it was up to us to put everything together and figure out how to use it. I was able to ask the group instructor a lot of questions, and he showed me some video he'd taken while following me, all of which helped. Overall, I learned a lot and was pleased with the experience, but I think I probably would've gotten more out of your approach than theirs. Regardless, it was fun as he!!, and I definitely want to do it again.

post #24 of 52 Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

I use a lot of props as well including a gyroscope to explain how the wheels & crank work on the bike to keep the bike stabilized and how excessively abrupt movements cause the gyro to kick back in the opposite direction while smooth controlled inputs offer little to no resistance

post #25 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Discen

Track day with hard bags mounted up, that's pure gangster right there!

04 919, 97 DR650
post #26 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Sike

Was there anything in the bags?

post #27 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Was there anything in the bags?
2 cats ???

post #28 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Glad you had fun on the track and hope you'll continue to do more. The more you do the more you'll learn.

post #29 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Ur a bad a**... You spanked the guy on the Red MV Agusta with bags on - NICE!

post #30 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Gyroscope is a good idea. Nice visual.

What's in the bags? I rode an hour-and-a-half to get there. The usual stuff. A bottle of vodka and a couple cans of Red Bull. Just to take the edge off.

djmell: One of the great avatars of all time! Love that pic.

Aquila: Unbelievable how many great bikes were in my group. Already mentioned the guy who crashed his Multistrada and his wife's Aprilia (also a dual sport, though I don't know the model). Several really nice Ducs. Someone even had a Desmo out there. Couldn't believe it! (Never saw anyone take it out. Duh! Guess it was just an observer.) Another guy had an Aprilia 125 that looked very fun to ride. Also strange to me how many level-one riders were on dedicated track bikes, and that I was one of only a handful of people who rode to the track instead of trailering it there.

post #31 of 52 Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:

djmell: One of the great avatars of all time! Love that pic.
Nothing tops Snikwad's perfect picture/caption combo.

post #32 of 52 Old 11-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Optio

This thread was much more positive than I expected. Great!

Good to hear you got out there. And I love your rationalization for keeping the bags on. I bet they'll be coming off next summer as you go faster. Your shirt is great too.

And move your frame sliders! It will be worth it. Had I moved mine I'd still be rolling on my 919 rat bike.

Since there is a track day thread going. Figure I'd through this out there.
FASTTRAX Trackdays and Roadracing
They have super cheap track days and they also do a race school to get your liscence. They are based out of the Akron OH area. Sounds like they will have track days at BeaveRun, Nelson Ledges, and Bluegrass next year.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #33 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
This town needs an enema!

you should put helium balloons in your side cases. think of the weight you'll save/counter act!

Quote:
(a common error is elbows up, so that a person isn't pushing correctly on the bars)
tell that to this guy

flickr

| '02 919 - Batcycle | '00 Suzuki SV650 |

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #34 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
you should put helium balloons in your side cases. think of the weight you'll save/counter act!

tell that to this guy

flickr
Like golf, there are many way in which to be successful. You might notice, in the picture you posted, that his elbows aren't actually "up." That is, his arms are still in a position in which he can push straight forward on the bars (versus, if the elbows are up above the "horizontal" the push will not just be forward, but some downward). Nice effort, though....

post #35 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Living the dream

Spies rides with his "Elbows" up a bit to remind him to relax. I ride the same way and had a few people here point that out to me.

But having them up a bit helps me remember to relax but in no way am I like Spies on a bike in any form. I am certain his sighting laps before arace are twice as fast as I can go.

And way to get out there. Welcome to the addiction. I am in withdrawl especially after going to the WERA races Sunday.
post #36 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
... that I was one of only a handful of people who rode to the track instead of trailering it there.
Trailering the bike is certainly preferred in my case. The drive there is about two hours, and the drive back seems like 12

The one track day I have been to kicked my @zz. I was one tired pup!
Also - prepping the bike AFTER you get to the track has got to be a PITA.

I'd like to do one more track day this year... it's amazing how much one stinkin' day can make on your skills

post #37 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Optio

I long for the days I could just ride to the track. So much less hastle. So much cheaper on gas. Much easier to fight traffic on a bike than in a car/truck with a trailer.

If I ever stop this racing thing I'll for sure be buying a bike that can tour and track day it so I can ride there/back in comfort but still enjoy the track.

That said. its nice to have dry place to sleep, ALL my tools, spare wheels/tires, dog, ocationally wife, cooler, grill.......The list goes on.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #38 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Hehe I too miss the days of riding to the track, doing the track day & riding back home...

As time has progressed for me the addiction takes over, I get a job working as a track instructor & I now carry at least 2 bikes to the track if not 3. Plus a carefully organized tool box with tools to literally drop the engine out of the frame. Spare parts to fix everything except internal engine damage and 2 full sets of mounted tires and sometimes wets etc. Spare bolts organizer, generator, leathers

post #39 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
Trailering the bike is certainly preferred in my case. The drive there is about two hours, and the drive back seems like 12

The one track day I have been to kicked my @zz. I was one tired pup!
Also - prepping the bike AFTER you get to the track has got to be a PITA.

I'd like to do one more track day this year... it's amazing how much one stinkin' day can make on your skills
+1. My track day included the 150 mile round trip to and from the track in So FL commuter traffic. 11 hour day total. I pulled up in front of the house, huge mf-ing smile...and told my wife she would be the one driving us to out dinner because my brain was FRIED. I LOVED IT.

post #40 of 52 Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Sike

My wife did her first track/school day a little over a year ago. She was scared s-less before the first session. The, the rest of the day she was like a little kid with an incredible new toy, talking endlessly about how cool it is, this lasted all day long, then, the following day she was just wasted and couldn't think straight. The line I heard that day about a million times was, "I'm not the slowest!" It was amazing how happy that made her, still to this day (and she has done one more track/school day since then).

She has this picture up in her office.

Oops, can't add picture to edit, see below.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode