First Impressions of My 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
CG

First Impressions of My 919

Hey all. Finally got my 07 919 (stock, 2100 miles) and as of yesterday she is legally tagged here in MD. I took off work yesterday to get the inspection, title, tag stuff taken care of and was able to ride for a couple hours.

This was my first experience riding a 919 except for a 2 minute test ride at time of purchase. Overall, pretty impressive! Plenty of power down low and plenty enough for me everywhere else!

The bike is totally stock for the moment. I already have a pair of Satos and a PCIII (eBay $400) but I want to get familiar with the bike in stock form before I start changing stuff so I'm waiting at least a few days before making any performance mods.

My only real complaint right now is some touchiness or jerkiness in the throttle on-off below around 3500 RPM. Is this normal? Basically, the smallest decrease in throttle results in a fairly severe engine braking effect. Very annoying when riding 2 up as it seems impossible to reduce power smoothly.

I'm just wondering if anything other than the PCIII will improve this condition such as PAIR removal or flapper mod. I'll probably end up doing both but if one or the other would smooth out the throttle response, that would be the first thing on my list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Milites Gregarius

Mine did this until I adjusted all the free play out of the throttle cable. It makes a world of difference.

post #3 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
CG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeze View Post
Mine did this until I adjusted all the free play out of the throttle cable. It makes a world of difference.
I already adjusted the throttle cable. I noticed an excessive amount of free play in the cable but adjusting didn't change the behavior that I'm talking about.

Basically, at lower speeds, light loads, there are situations where even the smallest possible change in throttle causes either very abrupt acceleration or deceleration.

I would love to resolve it since this is the only issue with the bike's performance.

I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge here, somebody knows how to eliminate the jerkiness at low speeds. I assume it is typical?

post #4 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Adjusting the throttle cable freeplay helped mine, then the PCIII pretty much eliminated it. Some of it is also getting used to a fuel injected bike, quite a bit touchier to throttle input than a carb bike.

post #5 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

the pairs mod, and the flapper mod are easy and reversable changes, the flapper being the easiest to do first.
try it, give us yer thoughts

post #6 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROKR View Post
the pairs mod, and the flapper mod are easy and reversable changes, the flapper being the easiest to do first.
try it, give us yer thoughts
I also have the PAIRS plates and the flapper mod, don't know that either made the throttle smoother though but I might be wrong.

post #7 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
... a fuel injected bike, quite a bit touchier to throttle input than a carb bike.
Exactly what I was thinking. However, once I installed the Semi_Gray blockoff plates, Sato cans, and did the flapper mod, it's quite smooth.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
CG

I'll try the flapper mod first since I have what I need for that.

Meanwhile, I'm looking into getting the plates for the PAIRS removal.

I'm picky about how my stuff runs and I want smooth throttle response. I spent a lot of time on the side of the road swapping jets in my old CB750. Eventually, I got that puppy running perfect but it took a huge amount of time and patience. I'm hoping to achieve similar results with the 919 with a bit less time tinkering if possible.

post #9 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

This is my second FI bike and I think it is the main culprit. Most who have a PCIII say it smooths the bike out. After a while I got used to the bike and am a lot smoother on it now.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I didn't mod anything, I think I just got better at it. For what it's worth, I find that the bike seems much smoother if you are less gentle with it. I know it sounds backwards, but if I rev it harder, shift it more firmly, pound on it a bit it seems better. (keep your pimp hand strong)

Oh yeah, congratulations!

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #11 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Tesserarius

Ride with your forefingers on the brake lever, it stabilizes your wrist!

post #12 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Ballaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic11 View Post
I didn't mod anything, I think I just got better at it. For what it's worth, I find that the bike seems much smoother if you are less gentle with it. I know it sounds backwards, but if I rev it harder, shift it more firmly, pound on it a bit it seems better. (keep your pimp hand strong)

Oh yeah, congratulations!
ya know, iv noticed the same thing. especially on brisk acceleration. it just feels smoother and almost seamless

post #13 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Immune

I had a severe engine brake also. My MIVV exhaust seemed to smooth it out really well. Once you have the flapper mod, PCIII, and satos, installed I don't think you'll notice it anymore.

CONGRATS on the new ride!

post #14 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Not unless you're used to doing that, it doesn't! After reading the "How many fingers do you use for the brake" thread, I decided last weekend to teach my right hand how to cover the brake with two fingers all the time.

Well, the 919 isn't the best bike to learn that technique on, because the twitchy throttle is a disaster with an unpracticed pinky muscle, where even the smallest input can turn the bike into a bucking bronco. I very quickly vowed not to practice that in traffic, unless I wanted to hit something, and avoid it in tight turns, too, unless I felt a need to vector into the weeds. For the moment, I need the whole hand on the throttle to keep it constant.

post #15 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I guess it's relative.

Come over and ride my KTM 200 (if you can).

I've had a PowerCommander since day 2. I've never noticed any jerkiness with the 919.

post #16 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM
McTavish

1 is get rid of the cable slack.
2 is get a PC IIIusb
3 is synch the throttle positioner by interfacing the PCIII with a laptop or PC that is loaded and running the PC softward.
4 is load in a decent map.
I went from bucking bronco at 2500 and lower, to be able to walk it down to below 1000 RPM with passenger load and use nothing but throttle.
5 is ignore PAIR
6 flapper does nothing at closed or near closed throttle conditions in gear 1 low speed, so whether you've done the flapper thing or not is irrelevant.

post #17 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM
McTavish

I forgot to add in.
Do a map compare of a decent map vs stock
A 919 is rich to the point of drowning in the 5 % opening x 1500 -2250 RPM zone, as well as being overall rich around that map area.
This is also a big reason for the infamous stink when stuck in traffic.

post #18 of 18 Old 09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
HA! you beat me to it Pete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I guess it's relative.

Come over and ride my KTM 200 (if you can).
There's alot of truth in that statement. I've been riding or racing one thing or another for for about 45 years. The 919 was the first FI bike I ever owned and I notice the abrubt response at low rpm's but adjusted to it in about two rides up GMR. Now I think it's one of the smoothest bike I've ever ridden. I also ride with my index finger on the brake lever as a point of reference and to help stabilize the hand & wrist.

Hey sniper, before I bought my YZ250 I seriously considered the KTM 200. Thats a great bike!

Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode