first choice for tires are backordered. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

first choice for tires are backordered.

ok well i had put in an order for some pilot roads from tire express but it seems the front tire is on indefinite back order. they have some dunlops (220s or something)and some continental tires (road attacks, i think).

i really wanted to try out the pilot roads after reading some good things but i just need tires at this point.

another option would be to pick up some pilot powers, which they have in stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Pilot powers. Just about everyone who has tried them likes tham. I personally don't like Dunlop, because they done lop the edges off and cup really bad.

I've got some serious miles on some Metzler Z6s though, if you're interested in a used, flat spotted rear.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 PM

I had the D220's, I thought they were crap, the front tire cupped, the rear would show cords way too fast.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I've said it before, I'll say it again...I love my Continental Road Attacks, excellent grip wet or dry, excellent ride quality and good wear characteristics.

post #5 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

anyone else have experience with these road attacks?

i think its going to come down to price and availability between the powers and road attacks.

i was looking to pick up sport touring tires but everyone i know says the powers are great period.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

The powers are great!! the dunlop 220s handle very well, but wear like a bastard... and yep the front cupping seems to be a trademark of dunlop... those bridgestone battlaxes are actually not bad at all for a sport touring, but similar to the dunlops... the continentals i've never had a problem with, good life, but felt weird to me after about 5k miles, currently I'm on the Pirelli Diablo Strada kick, they were reccomended to me for a kinda-in-between tire of the pilot powers and the dunlops,, , and the things are great,, the fronts don't cup hardly until about 6k miles but the rear is well.. gone,, but it also depends on how hard ya are on em... I could still drag the pegs with em, no squirreliness, (lol) and in the wet they are beautiful, but the powers.. are well, an almost different tire all-together, I love em, but just going through em so much wasn't... but they will surprise you on the mileage!

post #7 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalo919 View Post
ok well i had put in an order for some pilot roads from tire express but it seems the front tire is on indefinite back order. they have some dunlops (220s or something)and some continental tires (road attacks, i think).

i really wanted to try out the pilot roads after reading some good things but i just need tires at this point.

That's strange -- I just got a front Pilot Road from Tire Express today (ordered early last week). It would seem I got one of the last ones! In case anyone cares to know, total accumulated mileage on it is (projecting forward to this weekend): 18,650 miles. Still no cupping, still sticks like glue in the twisties, even pretty good in the rain despite having tread depth measured in microns. The profile altered by wear seems to want to make it want to turn in tighter in corners than I like, so I'm swapping it out Saturday. I did a quick calculation: cost per mile of the tire -- 0.6 cent. Sorry I got your tire, elmalo919, but I think I deserve it.

Rob

post #8 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Newfie

Metzeler Roadtec Z6....

Nuff Said.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

im swapping out the stock battlaxes this weekend with 4,000 miles for a set of avon venoms. $200 mounted and balanced for the set. hopfully they will last a little longer than them stockers. ill let you know monday how i like them.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:

Looks like Southwest Moto has 'em:
http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Code=Pilotrd

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

If you want the Pilot Road keep looking. There's a million places to buy tires.

post #12 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
anyone else have experience with these road attacks?

i think its going to come down to price and availability between the powers and road attacks.

i was looking to pick up sport touring tires but everyone i know says the powers are great period.

I bought my Road Attacks after reading this review, haven't regretted my decision....

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...oad-attack.php

post #13 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Alaska bound

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlb63 View Post
Metzeler Roadtec Z6....

Nuff Said.
Damn straight! Either the Z6 Roadtec or the Pirelli Diablo strada. The last set of Diablo Stradas I ordered took me all the way from Ohio to Maine, and then from Ohio to Mississippi, Florida and back and I'm still using them. They have as much grip as you need for any type of street riding or sport touring and for 12 out of 14 days on a tour last year I had a blast riding in nonstop rain at more than legal speeds.

I just picked up a set of the Z6's and will have them mounted as soon as these Stradas finally wear out.

post #14 of 16 Old 07-25-2007, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

i changed my order today to the conti road attack tires. FYI Tom at tire express is a real good guy and i will have my tires in two days, friday.

thanks for everyones input. i'll let you guys know what i think of the attacks.

post #15 of 16 Old 09-13-2007, 06:53 PM

I've had Dunlop Qualifiers on my bike for the past 2 sets of tires, and they haven't given me a single problem on the street or the track. Not once have I lost traction - not on the throttle, not on the brake, and not in a turn. I'll use the Qualifier right up until I'm ready to start using slicks.

Got a pic of a chunked up Dunlop Qualifier front on my picasa page. I wrung out this tire for 5 track days last year and it never so much as chirped.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ajohnson...65478066197314

post #16 of 16 Old 09-23-2007, 11:04 AM

I would assume the Pilot Roads are being phased out as the Pilot Road 2s are being introduced any day now (they've been available in Europe to rave reviews for a few months now).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode