Finally got to ride - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Finally got to ride

Well last week I took some vacation time and it rained all week.So this weekend I managed to put almost 300 miles on my new acquisition (2003 919 9.4K miles)
so far so good.It feels better than great to be on two wheels again, this is the only bike I've been on that I didn't crank wide open immediately.
The Sport Attacks have more stick than I have testicular fortitude altho I passed some youngsters on crotch rockets who seemed capable of tucking in and hitting it on the sraight aways but rode like Harley riders through the turns.
To my question now, my bike seems to have a very touchy throttle, when I let off of it it is like you killed the motor.It is the most difficult bike I've ridden.
When I swap with my sons 86 Ninja 600R shifting up or down is almost musical.
With the 919 I really have to concentrate to not sound like a schlup are they all that touchy? All in all I think I'm in LOVE.Cant wait till next weekend.

Later
Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The few 9ers I've ridden all had the "throttle jerk". You get accustomed and somewhat tune it out. I've heard a PCIII will smooth it out. Make sure your idle speed is correct.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Wrist twister advice had me take the slack out of the throttle. 3/4 of an inch - I swear - No more jerk and 'musical'.

I bought a 2003 last fall with 3400 miles. I have ridden about 2k since then. This site has been quite helpful.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Definitely read Ken's tip on adjusting the throttle slack, made a big difference on my bike too.

post #5 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

919 Throttle Free Play Adjustment search for thread.
04-15-2007, 09:38 AM Date of Ken's thread with advice.

Great how to do it.

Dr. J

post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

At first, My 919s closed throttle transition seemed a bit abrupt, but after the first 10 miles of twisties, I didn't notice it any more. It's just a characteristic of the fuel injection system, and now I find it helps produce good crisp downshifts -- some of the smoothest of any bike I've ever ridden, and thats a huge number. I find that resting the index finger of my throttle hand on the brake lever assists accurate throttle application. Oh, and it does help to have the throttle cables adjusted properly.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 919, and to this forum.

Rob

post #7 of 11 Old 09-04-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Thanks for the heads up

on the throttle cable slack adj.Mine for sure has a bit much, I didn't think it
was that critical as long as it wasn't too tight.I thought it was more a function of the fuel injection system since this is the only bike I've ridden with it.
Now I don't want to go to work but do a little tinkering and get some more miles on this thing.
Any of you guys in the SW Michigan area? I'm between Kalamazoo and
South Haven

Thanks Again
Later
Rich

post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2007, 06:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rich, Stay tuned. Theres a 9'er get together boiling for 08. Sounds like Indy or Kentucky so far. I'm on the other side of the lake, mentally prepping.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Since we're talking about throttle chop, How does one blip the throttle and make it smoothe. The first time I tried it, it was perfect. Felt virtually no gear mesh. Buttah.

Haven't been able to do it since.

Any tips ?

post #10 of 11 Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Since we're talking about throttle chop, How does one blip the throttle and make it smoothe. The first time I tried it, it was perfect. Felt virtually no gear mesh. Buttah.

Haven't been able to do it since.

Any tips ?
Clutchless shifting is a dynamic process, so if someone says "Just pull up on the shifter and roll the throttle off, then back on and it will shift." you will be replacing tranny parts in short order. In actuality, it's more like this: preload the shifter, then quickly close the throttle until you feel the shifter start to move, at which time stop closing the throttle, give the trans about 20 milliseconds to complete the shift, and get back on the throttle. I had to think about this for a while because I've been doing it for so long it's completely second nature, and 98% of my upshifts are indescernable except for a change in exhaust note. All it takes is practice. Oh, and it works better, at least for me, with a GP shift pattern (up for low, then down to upshift) due to the fact that when the throttle is rolled off, you pitch forward slightly and the bending of the knee seems to help complete the shift. One thing is sure: you can't shift slowly! That is unless you enjoy looking like a rank novice and like the sound of grinding gears. On average, my upshifts take 40 to 60 milliseconds according to a clever accelerometer based timer a friend loaned me.

Rob

post #11 of 11 Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thank you Mr. Haralson. But I gotta back up. I didn't say CLUTCHLESS shifting, though I think you just answered my question about it. I just want to make my downshifts smooth so theres less of a chance of rear wheel slide particularly when it's wet. Do i just need to practice practice practice ?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode