Extreme pucker, 101 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Extreme pucker, 101

Just got back a bit ago from a ride up to Payson for huevos rancheros and coffee. Beautiful morning.

ANyway, on the way back to Phoenix my pal was ahead about 5 lengths and I am watching as he is fiddling with something under his tank, and his eyes were down. (I was to learn later he was fumbling for his reserve tank switch).

I then see brake lights all over the place in front of him, with cars swerving and blue smoke from skidding. Before I could get my thumb on the horn to wake his ass up, he looks up and makes a quick skidding stop about 5 feet from the bumper of the pickup in front of him. We were cruising at about 60 at the time.

Of course I am looking frantically in my mirrors, and relieved to see that everyone behind us was awake...

Turns out it was a stray dog that nearly got about a dozen people hospitalized, but nothing bad happened other than maybe a near heart attack. We were in Indian Res land and they have a real prob with stray animals.

So all's well that ends well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-17-2006, 12:50 PM

jeez I hate close calls like that...

driving a transport for a living I see stuff like that on the interstate all the time... all it takes is 5 seconds on not paying attention at the wrong time and BANG. Almost did it myself in a fully loaded 18 wheeler. Scared myself and the minivan in front of me. Crested a hill and was looking for my smokes which had fallen on the floor and looked up to see a STOPPED minivan 300 yards in front of my 80,000 lb truck doin 65 mph 18 locked up tires and I missed the van by literally 18 inches... the driver of the van was white as a ghost. I felt like an ass for smoke hunting but who doesn't take their eyes off for a split second once in awhile... its just those times where you remind yourself how fast things can happen.

Glad your riding buddy had the presence of mind or (esp) to look up at just the last second, its like getting a break from Murphy and his silly laws.

post #3 of 8 Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 PM
919 City Pilot

He could have just drifted off the road into a tree........seen that about happen with riders looking down.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-17-2006, 02:16 PM

Glad he's ok. It's a war out there guys, keep you eyes open.

post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2006, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

he seriously wouldnt have swerved fast enough. the way it went down, he locked his brakes up right after the truck did, and he was too close to him to begin with. Sometimes you aren't aware that you aren't aware enough.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 AM
christian81

Closest call

I was ridng my Nighthawk 750 about 55 on a single lane road when a specific car that I periveously owned about a year before went by going the other way. I did one of those turn around looks to verify it was the car I owned. When I turned back around the car in front of me was stopped. I had just enough time to cock the bars and drop to the right. Thought I was a goner. My left barend mirror accually hit the tail light of the minivan. As I brushed by the vechicle. Amazingly the rubber side stayed down. The driver of the minivan didn't even notice the squealing tires or the pop when I hit the tail light. I studied the tail light when we continued on no damage so I never bothered to pull the lady over. All this because I took my eyes off the road for a couple seconds.

post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2006, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian81
I was ridng my Nighthawk 750 about 55 on a single lane road when a specific car that I periveously owned about a year before went by going the other way. I did one of those turn around looks to verify it was the car I owned. When I turned back around the car in front of me was stopped. I had just enough time to cock the bars and drop to the right. Thought I was a goner. My left barend mirror accually hit the tail light of the minivan. As I brushed by the vechicle. Amazingly the rubber side stayed down. The driver of the minivan didn't even notice the squealing tires or the pop when I hit the tail light. I studied the tail light when we continued on no damage so I never bothered to pull the lady over. All this because I took my eyes off the road for a couple seconds.
Damn, so you swerved into the oncoming lane of traffic? That sounds risky. Good that you kept upright though.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2006, 10:49 AM
christian81

No, I went into the break down lane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode