Extended Warranty? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Extended Warranty?

Did you all get the extended warranty on your 9's? The year is up next week and I am having a hard time "procuring" the funds. What kind of claims have you guys who have it put in (parts only please, as I do all my own service). Am I being tight and stupid or saving some loot? I know we can't predict the future, but what are my odds? :arabia: thanks for the info...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Never got one never plan on getting one. IMO it is a waste of $$$, I call it dealer revenue enhancement.

post #3 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda Addict

I did buy the extended warranty on mine when I bought it in July of '03 but I haven't had to claim a single thing yet. All the repairs to mine have been from "self inflicted" wounds.

I bought it mainly because of the amount of electronics on the bike. The sales guy convinced me that 1 hard to find electrical problem would make it worthwhile to buy the warranty. Or maybe I was suckered into it. Either way, I'm comfy knowing that it's covered till '08-09, sometime in that zone.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Your dealership will price match warranty plans and chances are that another dealership will have a lower price. I live in Wisconsin, found a Honda dealership in Alabama or something that sold a 4 year extended warranty for $385 whereas the normal price for it was like $680-$780. I told my local dealership, they matched it no questions asked.

I have a 2002 RC-51 and the warranty paid itself off already. Blew a master seal on the engine.($450) So here we are 4 years later, bike is still under warranty for another year and the $385 is just a memory. I doubt you will ever had problems with your bike, but it's a nice piece of mind.

P.S. They even covered new fork seals under warranty ($125)

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

May want to check dealer you bought it from. They may offer an extended service agreement @ a much lower cost. There's a dealer here that does this & was told that if you do purchase Honda's extended warranty, the dealer in which you bought bike from gets 10% of it.

post #6 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

My dealership is great. I'm buddies with the sales manager so they hook me up. $350-$400 for the plan. Again though, I do my own service. I know sh#% happens, but flat broke. Damn student loans never go as far as you'd hope. Can't wait to start making some actual money...something tells me that I'll still be broke, just with more crap (especially bikes)...haha

post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Hey ragdoll, where is Plover? My dealership is in Kenosha. I'm in No. Il

post #8 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Well if you are scraping by, don't get it. Especially if you can do the work yourself. Sounds like things are rough enough, I wouldn't do it in that case.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Got the extended warranty back in 03 when I bought the 919, because the price was what I thought quite good (high 200s).
I haven't used it so far, but like someone said it's peace of mind until 2008 or something like that.

post #10 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Got it in August of 04, so coverage til 09. Was 280ish? My bike's been totalled twice since, but the local dealer still says any motor problems will be happily covered. Haven't used it yet, but don't consider it wasted money.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
919 City Pilot

My 03 broke a clutch spring alowing the bolt to back out and tear up the case. It was covered under the standard 1 year agreement. Damn bike only had 1400 miles on it then......oil/filter and tires since then with only a low side to buy extra parts for.

If something is going to go wrong its going to happen withing the first year or a week after your coverage ends.......just murphys way I guess.

post #12 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda Addict

Yo Pegjump...

I was trying to remember who it was that had the clutch come apart.

That's obviously a rare occurance. Has your 9er been the typical Honda ever since then?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
919 City Pilot

Not a problem since....well a battery and spark plugs, a few lamps go figure!

another 5 k and I will put a new chain/gears on just for fun.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 AM

I got burned on a "extended warranty" deal on my 900rr that I bought brand spankin in 98... was sposed to be covered till 2004, when I bought it I paid 400 bucks through the dealer... the dealership folded in 2002 and I blew 2nd gear 2003. NO DICE... 400 bucks down the drain plus almost a grand for the tranny work. 1400 dollars poorer and a lot more pissed off.
919... no extended warranty no problems since 2002. If you blow it up make sure you have fire and theft on it and lose it in a lake. LOL j/k I don't want state farm tough guys beating me up.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Immune

I just bought extended warrantee. Like an insurance policy. I usually never do but this time I thought what the heck. I don't expect to have any problems but nice to have it.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode