Exhaust Swap/Header Torque Specs - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 11-17-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Exhaust Swap/Header Torque Specs

I finally got parts in to start changing to a low side exhaust. I've gone with a 98 900 header and a Leo Vince can. The Leo Vince was a good price and I think the removable silencer might make long rides easier on the ears. I have the header put on and waiting on the can to show up in the mail, hopefully by Thursday. I left the header mounting bracket on in order to fashion a mount using the center stand mount.

Thanks for everyone on here that has written about this swap. The suggestions, especially on how to remove the Y pipe, were extremely helpful. I would have not got to this point without the great help from you all on this forum. And if anyone had seen the balancing act to get the shock off and back on, they would post it as "How not to remove the Y pipe."

Does anyone know about what the header bolt should be torqued to? While removing the bolts, I found them much less tight than I imagined. I would love to not over tighten them, that would be bad, but I also want to make sure the new gaskets are well seated.

If anyone out there is thinking about doing the lowside exhaust, or the GP shorty can mod, I have a black set of 900 head pipes that i need shed of. I got them fairly cheap, but they need sandblasted to clean them up and look more presentable. I'll end up posting them on Ebay by the weekend, but I figured I'd mention them here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

The manual specifies 14 ft/lbs torque. It also gives a length specification for the studs, measured from the tip of the stud to the ring gasket sealing surface in the head, 42.5mm plus or minus 0.5mm, obviously with the gasket removed. This is given to check for previously overtightened nuts which may have stretched the studs, possibly breaking when retightened.

You will have to be careful when installing the header, first to use new ring gaskets, second to be sure all four head pipes are fully inserted and contacting the gaskets before running the nuts down, third to make sure the nuts are finger tightened to contact the flanges on both sides and the flanges are seated squarely on the headers, and fifth to torque the nuts a small amount at a time until the torque is reached. After the whole system is installed and the engine is run for a couple days recheck the torque to be sure everything has settled in properly. Some loosening is normal as the gaskets bed in, but it should not require much rotation to bring back to proper torque.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #3 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I finished up the exhaust this evening. Everything for the most part went smooth. I mounted the can to the footrest with a piece of L shaped plat metal I found in Lowes. I also used the head pipe mounting bracket and bolted it to the center stand frame piece with a rubber grommet to hopefully help with vibration.

So far, just in the garage, I think it sounds good. I'll take it out tomorrow or friday to see how she's running.

Thanks again to everyone that has written about this before, it helped a bunch. And thanks for the torque specs, I would have over tightened the hell out of them. I think there is a pic attached.

And before it gets said, yes, the shovel of a rear fender will be gone soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00010.JPG (1.51 MB, 173 views)

post #4 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

And before you comment on the bracket being off center, I cut it too much. I already plan on remaking it.

post #5 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

PM sent about the headers.

post #6 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Nice job. Looks good.

post #7 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

IMG00009.JPG

IMG00008.JPG

I have to retrack my statement about the black set of headers. These pics show why I think. The rust could be sand blasted off, but the two dents in the center two pipes makes me think I need to return them to the ebay seller. I am sorry about posting about them before getting a good look, I took the seller's word that they were in good shape. My bad.

post #8 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Very nice job Heath. Thanks for the pics. I am getting ready to do the single sided exhaust and was thinking about using the existing bracket and mounting to the center stand bracket. Good to see it pretty much lines up.

post #9 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

If you do it, I would suggest making the rear bracket first, to push down the can where you want it. Its easier to do that, then drill and mount the header bracket to the center stand bracket.

As far as a rubber/anti-vibration mount. I found some windshield wiper bushings at Autozone. You have to take out the center metal piece, very easy, and it makes a pretty good grommet for the header bracket.

post #10 of 17 Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath View Post
If you do it, I would suggest making the rear bracket first, to push down the can where you want it. Its easier to do that, then drill and mount the header bracket to the center stand bracket.

As far as a rubber/anti-vibration mount. I found some windshield wiper bushings at Autozone. You have to take out the center metal piece, very easy, and it makes a pretty good grommet for the header bracket.
Great idea. Thanks!

post #11 of 17 Old 11-20-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I got the first ride out of the way. I like the way the bike feels to run better. I'm not sure its faster, but it feels like it gets through the low RPM's better. The Leo Vince sounds good, but its a little quet for my taste, I should got a D&D or a Hindle. Here's for hoping that it gets louder with time.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I went cheap and cleaned up the tail with the existing fender, minus a lot of plastic. This is not an end product, but will do until I can put the money into turn signals for the front and rear. I think next will be a red fly screen, maybe santa can hook it up.

Sorry the pics aren't better, I always seem to finish in the dark.

100_0448.JPG

100_0451.JPG

100_0450.JPG

post #13 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Looks great man!

I got the headers today, thanks!

post #14 of 17 Old 11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Nice work! I am gonna start on mine hopefully next weekend.

post #15 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Here are a couple videos for the sound of the new exhaust. Its definitely different than stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvzF4LUfzZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxInVAqRclU

post #16 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Sounds awesome in that second video. Definitely a much deeper tone.

post #17 of 17 Old 11-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Looking at these headers more, I'm getting excited. I've moved on to a new cheaper and easier plan that I hope will net positive results. I'm going Hardcore GP on these babies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode