Exhaust gasket - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Exhaust gasket

If I remove my exhaust header from my 919 would I be able to reuse the header gaskets. What are the gaskets made of metal or some kind of fiber.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

New gaskets

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #3 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

That what I thought

Thanks

post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 01:43 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I recently had my header off, and also replaced the slip-ons, but did not notice any gaskets at any of the connections.
I'm looking at the online microfiche and it shows a gasket for each cylinder, one for the connection to the Y-pipe, and one for each slip-on. Do all these gaskets need to be replaced any time the header, Y-pipe, or slip-ons are removed?
I've only ridden it about 20 miles since putting the header back on, but I don't notice any difference in sound or performance with the old gaskets.
The bike is new, I'm just wondering why I didn't notice any of the gaskets, are they stuck up in there?

post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Mdtoney
Glad your back in the saddle.
The gaskets I'm used to are normally copper 1 at each head pipe. If you didn't notice them they were most likely stuck in the header or head, if you don't notice any extra noise don't worry you lucked out ! I know nothing about any Y pipe or slip on gaskets.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
Hey Mdtoney
Glad your back in the saddle.
The gaskets I'm used to are normally copper 1 at each head pipe. If you didn't notice them they were most likely stuck in the header or head, if you don't notice any extra noise don't worry you lucked out ! I know nothing about any Y pipe or slip on gaskets.
Y-pipe and slip-ons use a lead-like gasket. If it didn't fall apart when taking apart your exhaust, 98% of the time they are re-usable. Mike, you were lucky with the copper header gaskets. The header fell into its original position on the gaskets causing no leaks/abnormal sounds. Once the header is seated off slightly on the original gaskets, you'll definitely hear "piffing" sounds around the head and exhaust.

When are we going to see your mods in-progress pics???!!!

post #7 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nineteen View Post
Y-pipe and slip-ons use a lead-like gasket. If it didn't fall apart when taking apart your exhaust, 98% of the time they are re-usable. Mike, you were lucky with the copper header gaskets. The header fell into its original position on the gaskets causing no leaks/abnormal sounds. Once the header is seated off slightly on the original gaskets, you'll definitely hear "piffing" sounds around the head and exhaust.

When are we going to see your mods in-progress pics???!!!
I'll listen closely for the piffing or any other abnormal noises. If I hear this piffing, is it bad for the engine or just annoying?
When I pulled the header, no gaskets came out of the cylinder and nothing was stuck inside or on the ends of the header pipes; and the header slid out of the Y-pipe easily with no gasket residue and nothing falling apart. The same as when I swapped the slip-ons, no gasket material and the old ones came off easily and the new ones went on with with no problems. It might be because the bike only had 1400 miles on it at the time.

Roy, I didn't get to work on my bike last week or the weekend, but I plan to spend time on it this weekend, so I'll be able to take some photos of the progress so far. Unfortunately, the upper triple clamp and the powdercoated parts are still another week or two away...

post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I'll listen closely for the piffing or any other abnormal noises. If I hear this piffing, is it bad for the engine or just annoying?
When I pulled the header, no gaskets came out of the cylinder and nothing was stuck inside or on the ends of the header pipes. . .
If you didn't hear anything, re: exhaust leak, after reinstalling the header, then you should be OK. If it's leaking, the noise will be annoying more than anything. But check after you get your 9er back together with a few hard throttle runs. When you first pulled your header off, the copper gaskets stayed jammed in the recess of the exhaust ports. Usually, they need to be pried out with a screw driver after being squished in the recess by the header manifold.

Pics please!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode