Exhaust Advice for Lazy Guy - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Advice for Lazy Guy

The title is aptly named because I did not do a search for this thread, and I am sure this has been posted before. However, I am a huge fan of redundancy so I am bringing it back old school. My wife just gave me the go ahead to get a slip on exhaust (and PCIII, although I might have to sneak that one by) for my 07 919, and I had a couple of general questions.

1.) I have seen that a lot of exhausts have specific model dates spanning from 02–05. As far as slip-on exhausts go, were there any changes throughout the model years to the exhaust setup on the 919 that would effect the type of exhaust I could use? I guess I am trying to say, if I bought an exahust that said for 02–04 models, could I use this exhaust on my 07 without any type of extra inconvenience or work required?

2.) I would like to do some touring this summer, and I am worried about excessive heat from the pipes limiting the use of saddlebags. Would carbon fiber slip-ons run run cool enough to throw saddlebags on top of them? Are the carbon fiber slips-ons a lot cooler heatwise than titanium or aluminum exhausts?

3.) I have heard really good things about the Sato exhausts and the Akrapovic exhausts, but I am also intested by the two brothers dual "stash" pipe setup. Is the two brother's "stash" slip-on inferior to the other two above in terms of build quality and finish? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of going with a single exhaust system versus the standard dual exhaust?

4.) I definitely want to have a more "intimidating" sound coming out of my bike, but at the same time I don't want to be obscene and wake up the neighbors when I start my bike every morning. Are there any slip-ons that are a good compromise? If I keep the revs low will that be enough to limit excessive sound?

5.) Will adding an aftermarket slip-on and PCIII have any effect on the warranty?

6.) My bike currently has 700 miles and just had its first service done. Do I need to wait until a specific mileage before I add the slip-ons and PCIII?

7.) Should I go ahead and get a new air filter also? If so, are there any particular brands you guys would reccomend?

8.) Are there any specific exhausts that you guys would personally reccomend, or recommend that I stay clear of?

Thanks in advance guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Me personally...SATO FTW

You won't be disappointed

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

You type a lot of text for a lazy guy.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
You type a lot of text for a lazy guy.

I was thinking that very same thing

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #5 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

1. You can use any exhaust for the 919 from '02 to '07...no differences. Also you don't need a PCIII

2. I have Carbon Sato's and haven't melted my bags yet.

3.Sato's and Akra's are in another class alltogether vs Two Brothers. If you put them side by side you would see glaring differences but if the 2 Bors make you happy go for it. Advantage of the single side exhaust? You can only burn yourself on one side...

4. Sound levels are subjective but most are relatively quiet until you open it up. I knwo some of the guys here run Yoshi's with the baffle in place and I understand it isn't much louder than stock.

5.Don't know.....again you don't need a PCIII

6.No

7.Again NO, stick with the Honda OEM fi you ever need to change it.

8.Reccomend? Sato, Akra, Mori, Yoshi, MIVV are a few good brands.....stay away from? Two Brothers, Arrow, D&D....these are just my opinions though

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Need I say more?

I have stainless yoshi's, and I believe for the price they are a beautiful pipe.
And I can rest my hand on them and not get burned. I would have no reservations about throwing bags over them. And yes, they are quiet with the baffles in, and scream with them out.

post #7 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

1. yes. the later models had catastrophic constipators in the y pipe. but a replacement y or midpipe will eliminate those. hooray!
2. yes, yes. but make sure you don't put a hershey bar in there. they still get warm. make sure your bags have some type of heat barrier.
3. Satos are amazing quality. Akro's have an amazing reputation for making power. w/ a slip on, you will not gain much. the 2br stash pipe isn't very large, but it more than quadruples the available space that a 919 has to carry things. they aren't bad. single exhaust is fine, really, depends on what you like. same for brand of slip on.
4. you can ride your bicycle and offend someone. chose what YOU want, and ride how you want your neighbors to ride... you should be good
5. warranty? i have never used it for anything from Honda, so i don't know...
6. might as well start modding now! then, the next upgrade is that much closer!
7. K&N makes one, the gains are negligible. really, the cost of the filter+cleaner+oil... stock ones are cheap. and they flow a lot.
8. i don't like straight pipes. so avoid those. unless that's what you want. there is a recent thread about exhaust companies on the 'recent threads' right now. you can look there. the possobilities are endless!

have fun!

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

man... like when i started typing, nobody had replied. i need typing lessons so i can be speedy and stuff.

post #9 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
man... like when i started typing, nobody had replied. i need typing lessons so i can be speedy and stuff.

At least you don't look like you have dislexia when you type

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Damn, you guys are fast. Thanks for the excellent suggestions and information. I am glad the PCIII is not required. I am now leaning towards either the Sato, Yoshimura, or Akropovics and will be sure to post some pics after I get them on.

post #11 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I love my sato's 02-07 are all the same

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #12 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I have stainless yoshi's, and I believe for the price they are a beautiful pipe.
And I can rest my hand on them and not get burned. I would have no reservations about throwing bags over them. And yes, they are quiet with the baffles in, and scream with them out.
I have stainless Yosh. To loud without inserts, and too quiet with them in.
I cut the inserts just where they taper not realy knowing what that would do.
Now it sounds just right ( for me anyway )

Price was more within my budget than Sato or Akro.
Runs fine without PC III

post #13 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

yah. jeff is a firefighter. trust him.

post #14 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
new 919 pilot

I really like the Yoshimura shape, either in carbon or titanium. I just wish I could get the original longer spouts on it, like Hairball mentioned. Might have to call them direct and see if they still have some spouts in stock to sell to me, or if I can get the whole set with them installed from them. I mean, some of their other similar mufflers got the spouts, what's up?

post #15 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Iron Buffalo

Not sure why there is so little faith in the 2 Bros. Anyone have any bad experiences? I have a single side carbon full system that looks flawless, sounds great, and conducts almost no heat. It has always been cool enough to comfortably touch. I suppose if someone wanted to trade for the Akro's I would, but I'm not really sure what the big deal is.

Also, there is a pretty...informative...thread about the K&N air filter below. Take a look at the poll results. (Notice how ZERO people have actually EXPERIENCED negative results from the K&N?)
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18597

My bike came with the PCIII so can't give you much advice there.

Here's a 'heads up'... This website has tons of great information, but sometimes you're going to run into people who find it difficult to get over what they 'know'. For instance, there are many on this site who really think that because my bike has a 2 bros. exhaust and a K&N air filter, it is actually slower than stock. You're always going to find some nay-sayers. Read up, make your decision, and enjoy the ride!

I'm starting to think there may be some Sato stakeholders among us...

"Show up, shut up, and keep up." - My Grandpa
post #16 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrat View Post
yah. jeff is a firefighter. trust him.
And if you see him running try to keep Up

post #17 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Need I say more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff919 View Post
I have stainless Yosh. To loud without inserts
Actually, I thought it was just right

post #18 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
And if you see him running try to keep Up
I love your latest avatar.

My bike is red ( like a fire truck )

BTW, FF's don't lie.

Actually, I like my Yosh cans. But that's just my opinion.
It's your $$$$. Get what makes you happy and enjoy.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM

not lazy but I am cheap. check out the baffectomy It sounds cool to me and It's almost free.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Sweet, I went ahead and ordered the Yoshi stainless steel exhaust. Thanks again for the excellent advice and opinions.

Now for an unrelated question. I see that many of you recommend the motivation frame mounted sliders. When I was looking at the site it mentioned the following: "PLEASE NOTE that drilling/reaming of the frame to accept a 10mm rod is required." Is this something that needs to be done at a shop?

post #21 of 25 Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporman View Post
Sweet, I went ahead and ordered the Yoshi stainless steel exhaust. Thanks again for the excellent advice and opinions.

Now for an unrelated question. I see that many of you recommend the motivation frame mounted sliders. When I was looking at the site it mentioned the following: "PLEASE NOTE that drilling/reaming of the frame to accept a 10mm rod is required." Is this something that needs to be done at a shop?
nope...electric hand drill .... a couple extra bits... and some cutting oil... and voila...

do it yourself... easy peasy...

post #22 of 25 Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

easy breezy, beautiful... hmmm.... that's the wrong jingle...

post #23 of 25 Old 04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

hope you enjoy the yosh pipes that's what i had on another bike and loved the sound. most yosh pipes that i have heard have a nice warm sound. someone asked about people not liking the D&D pipes all I can say from what I've personally heard on a few different bikes is go with D&D if you like LOUD! too obnoxious for my personal taste but to each his own it's all subjective anyway.

post #24 of 25 Old 04-18-2009, 04:27 PM
imagepix

I have the 2 Bros The Stash in carbon and I love the look and when I jump on it I just love the sound. My question is I see from previous post that it is not necessary to add, as in my case, the 2 Bros Juice Box, it has pretty lights but does it really add that extra performance?

Also I have installed the motivation frame mounted sliders and purchased a 10 MM Drill some cutting oil and took my time. It is a nice snug fit but very much worth doing. There are 2 kinds of riders ones that have drooped there bikes and ones that are going to.

post #25 of 25 Old 04-18-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

a programmer in our case adds tuneability, more than power. you can smooth out the injection, a/f ratio, set the accel pump how you like it, but i have no experience w/ the 2br juice box. most of us don't bash 2br; but it's like comparing your VW to a porsche. it may be just as fast, but it's not a porsche. oui?

i had a 2br on my bike, but i kinda broke it, now i have a $5 yoshi from ebay. it is awesome. then i sawed it down so it wasn't sooooooo long, and got a bit more raquet out of it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode