Excessive noise... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Excessive noise...

I hate to ask this question, but I am starting to get a little worried about my tranny and clutch. I am hearing quite a bit of noise coming out from the clutch while the bike is idling, and when I'm downshifting and the RPM's are fairly low, I'm also getting some noise and clunking sounds out of the transmission. The clunking sounds are strong enough that I can feel them all the way up through the handlebars. I thought something was coming loose in the front end, but if I pull the clutch in and stop quickly, everything works as advertised and there is no noise or clunking in the handlebars. I also checked all the hardware, and everything is installed and TQ'ed properly.

I just changed the oil after 1400 miles (which came out like water, damn Honda crap!!), and I am still getting the same noises and feelings through the handlebar.

Does any of this sound normal?

('06 919 w/3400 miles)

-Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 PM

It doesn't sound right. I would take it to the dealer now that the bike is under factory warranty.

-Alex
www.alexgelsomino.com

post #3 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Ok hooker I have felt the same when I first got my bike , I wasnt lubing the chain right , every two three tanks of gas now, I was getting a bad noise, oiled her up and every time she smoothes out. I dont know maybe not your problem but I couldnt believe how much it helped me. Not much the mechanic here ! str8

post #4 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda Addict

Although the motor in our beloved 9ers is time proven bullet-proof, it is a noisy unit. Due in part to the lack of bodywork to insulate noises that you wouldn't ordinarily hear. I too was worried about the same noise(s) you have described.

To the point that I called 2 different Honda dealers (to be objective). After emailing Mike Wheeler (aka Lord Duckhunter) the owner of 919.org and describing the noises, my mind was put at ease. To summarize the most common noises that are perfectly normal:

1. A grinding or roaring sound when sitting still, idling in neutral, with the clutch lever out. Pull in on the clutch and it goes away. Let it out and it returns. Very strange and worrisome noise to a new owner. This is normal and gets smoother with time. I have almost 10,000k and it's barely noticeable now.

2. What sounds like a valve tapping sound under load until about 5,000rpm. Again, this sound is normal and LDH defines it as airbox resonance. A lot of people have posted here worried about it. Again, it's normal.

3. A lot of whirring, clunking, and tapping sounds. You wanna hear some strange noises? Take it around the block without wearing a helmet. Your first thought will be "oh, sh!t, I'm taking this sucker to the shop!"

Are the clunking sounds you described happeneing when shifting or downshifting? If so, it's probably just due to you and your 9er still in "the learning curve". As you get more used to each other you'll be shifting smooth as glasss bot up and down. One thing you can try to ease the downshift clunk is blip the throttle at the same time you pull in the clutch lever and downshift. This makes the engine and tranny speeds match up quicker and makes downshifts a lot less noisy.

It's a Honda dude! Now, it's also a mecahnical object which will have a flaw here and there. But as long as you take care of it it will give you years/thousand of miles of happy, noisy life. You might also try changing to synthetic oil next time you change it (if your not already running it). The general concensus is it smooths the tranny out quite a bit. But use it only after the engine is good and broken in with say 4-5000 miles on it. they say that if you put synthetic in too early it will actually prevent the parts from wearing in properly.

As long as everything is functioning properly don't sweat the small stuff. If it helps even more, since I bought mine new in '03 and been a part of this forum (previously Motorush), I've only heard of 2 incidents where guys had to take their 919s in for some major warranty work. In one case, the clutch basket came apart because it wasn't tightened properly at the factory. This caused a gawdawful sound that was unmistakeable as something major wrong. The other was recently when one guy had a chronic problem with his front brakes making a loud screeching sound that wouldn't go away.

Hope all this helps.

RB

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #5 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
Ok hooker I have felt the same when I first got my bike , I wasnt lubing the chain right , every two three tanks of gas now, I was getting a bad noise, oiled her up and every time she smoothes out. I dont know maybe not your problem but I couldnt believe how much it helped me. Not much the mechanic here ! str8
Oh yeah, the chain could be also the cause of your clunky downshifts. Even moreso if your chain is too loose. Better too loose than too tight but there is a happy medium in there.

post #6 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Sweepuk

This reply by Razorbike ought to be made a sticky as it answers a lot of new riders queries that come up time and again.

As said above change oil & filter regularly, keep the regular maintenance stuff up to date and it should be very reliable. You will get used to the noises.

post #7 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Props to razorbike

Dear Mr. razorbike, :clown:
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that post. Great information. I sometimes commute with a (turtle) half helmet and hear all the noises described. It use to make me think I was experiencing aweful spark knock bad valve issues. You have helped put my worries to rest! lately I just drive the snot out of it and just not concern myself. At 6000k I switched to syn oil but didnt see to much improvement in tranny. Perhaps i have that to look forward at 10,000 this spring.

PS to all
The 919 engine truely is bullet proof. If I had bought a Harley:chris: , the engine would have failed already do to my driving habits. hehe

post #8 of 46 Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda Addict

Thanks for the kudos guys. I enjoy helping fellow 919 riders.

After going thru a period of "new owner paranoia" for about the first 2000 miles, I finally got used to the sounds and decided to just ride it and ignore them unless something sounded major. 10,000 trouble free miles so far. And I'm still running Honda GN4 10w-40 dino oil. Been using that stuff for years in Honda ATVs and those suckers get HOT HOT HOT in the summer time. Got an '84 Honda 200s 3 wheeler that's still on the original motor and it ain't from lack of use!

Just change the oil regularly; lube, clean and adjust the chain and ride the poo out of it.

Oh, and it's adviseable to change the coolant every couple of years to preserve the water pump.

post #9 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
To the point that I called 2 different Honda dealers (to be objective). After emailing Mike Wheeler (aka Lord Duckhunter) the owner of 919.org and describing the noises, my mind was put at ease. To summarize the most common noises that are perfectly normal:

1. A grinding or roaring sound when sitting still, idling in neutral, with the clutch lever out. Pull in on the clutch and it goes away. Let it out and it returns. Very strange and worrisome noise to a new owner. This is normal and gets smoother with time. I have almost 10,000k and it's barely noticeable now.
RB
That's what I'm hearing with mine. I was just worried about it because it seems to be getting worse. I just hadn't heard anyone talk about it before, and didn't want to take it to the shop if it was something normal. Thanks for the help razorbike!

-Joe
post #10 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
And I'm still running Honda GN4 10w-40 dino oil. Been using that stuff for years in Honda ATVs and those suckers get HOT HOT HOT in the summer time.
I don't know what the deal is with that Honda oil. I've seen some pretty horrible stuff come out of helicopters, but what I drained out of my bike the last time ranked right up there. It sounded like I was peeing into the drain pan! The oil was completely broken down, and this was after just 1400 miles. It felt like water between my fingertips. At least it was clean, so I know nothing happened inside the engine, but that oil was not in any kind of shape to do its job in there.

-Joe
post #11 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

razor - you get the "Quality Poster of the Month" - good stuff man.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #12 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
I don't know what the deal is with that Honda oil. I've seen some pretty horrible stuff come out of helicopters, but what I drained out of my bike the last time ranked right up there. It sounded like I was peeing into the drain pan! The oil was completely broken down, and this was after just 1400 miles. It felt like water between my fingertips. At least it was clean, so I know nothing happened inside the engine, but that oil was not in any kind of shape to do its job in there.
This is the result of combustion by-products and would likely happen regardless of the kind of oil you put in. Even red-cap Mobil1 full synth is going to have combustion by-products in it unless you give the bike a proper run every once in a while. This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't fire up a bike every once in a while and let it run for 5 minutes, then shut it down. You will build up moisture and all kinds of crap in the engine that will just sit in the oil pan. Short trips will also generate this kinda of crap in your oil.

DO NOT BLAME HONDA OIL. I've only used Honda oil in my bike and 23,000 miles on my bike says it works just fine. I've never had anything but oil (maybe some itty bitty metal filings) come out during an oil change, but I usually give my bike a good workout when I fire it up.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #13 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

I don't want to start another oil argument, I'm just stating what I've experienced with Honda oil so far. I'm not impressed, and I plan to switch as soon as I can.

-Joe
post #14 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
I don't want to start another oil argument, I'm just stating what I've experienced with Honda oil so far. I'm not impressed, and I plan to switch as soon as I can.
That's my whole point, it doesn't matter what oil you use, you would have seen this issue. The issue is NOT THE OIL. I don't care what oil you use. For all I care, you can put energy conserving Autozone brand 10W40 in your bike.

EDIT: your noise problem sounds like the chain BTW

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #15 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
That's my whole point, it doesn't matter what oil you use, you would have seen this issue. The issue is NOT THE OIL. I don't care what oil you use. For all I care, you can put energy conserving Autozone brand 10W40 in your bike.

EDIT: your noise problem sounds like the chain BTW
It's not the chain. If it was, it would still make the same noise when I pulled in on the clutch while slowing down. It doesn't.

-Joe
post #16 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
It's not the chain. If it was, it would still make the same noise when I pulled in on the clutch while slowing down. It doesn't.
Not necessarily. The load on the chain will vary according to what the throttle and transmission are doing at any given time. Pulling in the clutch will reduce the load, possibly eliminating the noise. I know because my chain did this when I let chain maintenance lapse for a while. I don't claim to be an expert, and I'm not 100% certain that is what your problem is, but I am suggesting that the chain is a good place to start. Even if it isn't the problem, you can only help the life of your chain by giving it a kerosene bath followed by a lube and adjustment. If I'm wrong, what did you lose?

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #17 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Not necessarily. The load on the chain will vary according to what the throttle and transmission are doing at any given time. Pulling in the clutch will reduce the load, possibly eliminating the noise. I know because my chain did this when I let chain maintenance lapse for a while. I don't claim to be an expert, and I'm not 100% certain that is what your problem is, but I am suggesting that the chain is a good place to start. Even if it isn't the problem, you can only help the life of your chain by giving it a kerosene bath followed by a lube and adjustment. If I'm wrong, what did you lose?
I had planned to do that this weekend...by the way, where do you buy kerosene? And how do you get rid of it (I live smack dab in the middle of the city)?

-Joe
post #18 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Certain gas stations carry it. If you have a station that carries E85 and diesel, you'll probably find a kerosene pump as well.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #19 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
by the way, where do you buy kerosene? And how do you get rid of it (I live smack dab in the middle of the city)?
I get it at the local hardware store or Wal Mart by the portable heaters. How to dispose of it, well, I usually don't have a lot to dispose of so I just dump the approx. qt on the weeds growing thru the cracks in the driveway-at least in the summer time. And another debateable issue - I don't like to soak it in the kerosene. I put a metal screen over the top of a drain pan and dump the kero over the chain, cleaning in sections. Use an old nylon brush of some sort and rinse and blot dry with an old towel. Comes out bling-bling.

post #20 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I didn't see it mentioned, so while on the subject of "strange but true" mechanical noises I thought I would throw this in. I've ridden several 9ers, and they all have a lot of injector noise at low rpm, especially when under load. Sounds similiar to valve train noise.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #21 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 

Hooker, are you still running the stock pipes? I noticed the mechanical noisyness of the 9er a lot before I got my Sato's, In fact one of my first posts on here asked about the injector noises Hondajim just referred to. I would say just keep tabs on it, its probably normal, But if it is gettin worse as you think it may be, get it checked! Heck you are under warranty anyway.

post #22 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I still have the stock pipes. I wasn't horribly worried about the noise, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else was experiencing it. Bike is still running strong, I just hate to have to give it up to the shop for any length of time.

-Joe
post #23 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I didn't see it mentioned, so while on the subject of "strange but true" mechanical noises I thought I would throw this in. I've ridden several 9ers, and they all have a lot of injector noise at low rpm, especially when under load. Sounds similiar to valve train noise.
yeah, Jim, I think that's the same noise we've been talking about. Some say it's injector noise, others say it's airbox resonance (whatever the hell that is). They both translate to a tapping sound that fades away about 5000rpm that is very disturbing at first. As long as it's harmless, I learned to not worry about it.

post #24 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
yeah, Jim, I think that's the same noise we've been talking about. Some say it's injector noise, others say it's airbox resonance (whatever the hell that is). They both translate to a tapping sound that fades away about 5000rpm that is very disturbing at first. As long as it's harmless, I learned to not worry about it.
Got that right! I use to think it was carbon building on my valves contributing to misfires in the cylinders (Spark knock). Thought maybe I wasnt breaking in the engine properly. Worried me so bad Id take it in the country and redline beat the crap out of it for hours. hehe

post #25 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm late on replying to this but I've ridden my RC-51 around without the plastics on a few times and you definitely can hear more stuff going on without plastics. Could just be that.

Ride another bike like yours around and see if it's the same.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #26 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
The load on the chain will vary according to what the throttle and transmission are doing at any given time. Pulling in the clutch will reduce the load, possibly eliminating the noise.
I can back that up. I have an aftermarket sprocket that is quite noisy. It howls pretty loud under load but as soon as I pull in the clutch (thus taking the load off) it quiets down.

Changing to louder pipes (or bafflectomy) covers up all those stupid annoyances and makes the bike sound like a refined machine. To me, this was the best benefit of a louder exhaust, now my bike doesn't sound like a rolling pile of vibrating crap anymore.

post #27 of 46 Old 11-10-2006, 01:09 PM
motoxer101

9er's are loud by nature. Installing slip ons help..but I always run ear-plugs...makes a huge difference. I stopped on my commute home about a mile from the house...ran my errand, put my helmet on without plugs....holy crap!! Its incredible.

post #28 of 46 Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 AM

Just to underscore... when the chain and sprockets are ready to be replaced the ensuing notification noise is not only unbearable but outright frightening.

13,000 miles on the set. Visually the rear sprocket looked fine (need a thingamajig [called a "screwdriver", ed.] to get to the front sprocket and it is too far down there, by gum!) but it has been a motorcycle maxim to replace sprockets when replacing chain. Beats the "good old days" when chains regularly failed at 3,000 miles or anytime the throttle was wicked.

Clinton (ed)

post #29 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Mostly harmless...mostly

G'day all. I stumbled across this site from a link posted on another and have just joined.

I've been a CB900F Hornet owner since november last year. I traded a Harley for it and have been trying to come to terms with all the new noises I'm hearing.

As a long term Harley rider I can identify with mechanical noisy engines but the Hornet is a whole new set of noises and its been a great help finding this thread. Sorry I know I'm dredging up an old thread but it has great relevance to me and I just wanted to say G'day and thanks for the information about the noises in my bike.

I'd also like to add some help too. I recently tracked down an annoying "frapping" noise between 4000 - 5000rpm on trailing throttle that at first had worried there was a shaft or something rattling in the engine. Turns out it was the left side cover vibrating against the tank. So I fitted some extra padding behind it and glued a piece of wetsuit rubber over the tab the fits in under the tank. Also did the same to right side cover just for good measure. Problem solved.

Another less intrusive rattle comes from the cooling fan. If I tap the radiator the fan rattles. Put slight pressure on the fan with my finger and it stops. I'm sure it rattles from engine vibration whilst riding but its not loud enough to bother me.

Cheers all

post #30 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Mostly harmless...mostly

Talking

And here's a nice picture

post #31 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Is that a factory paint job? Not sure I've ever seen a red like that. I like it. I know different countries sometimes get different colors.....

post #32 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 03:28 AM
Discen

yeah i rode mine without a helmet about a half mile and was amazed at all the noises.

post #33 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73 View Post
I noticed the mechanical noisyness of the 9er a lot before I got my Sato's, In fact one of my first posts on here asked about the injector noises Hondajim just referred to.
Yup, my Satos drown out a lot of the noises also. I've gotten so accustomed to the noises now that I really don't hear them much unless it's something out of the ordinary.

Glad to see you benefit from this old thread gronk62.

Welcome aboard and nice color on your bike!

post #34 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Mostly harmless...mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Is that a factory paint job? Not sure I've ever seen a red like that. I like it. I know different countries sometimes get different colors.....
Yeah its a great red. The pic doesn't really do it justice as its only a crappy old 3 megpixel camera. Up close its deep and lustrous and was a standard colour in 2002 down here in Australia

Quote:
Glad to see you benefit from this old thread gronk62.

Welcome aboard and nice color on your bike!
Thanks

post #35 of 46 Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Aquilifer

"but what I drained out of my bike the last time ranked right up there. It sounded like I was peeing into the drain pan! "

i've run 0-weight for 3 drag seasons now, and i've not changed the oil mid season once. my engine is no noisier and my trap speeds haven't trailed off one fraction of a mph. in fact, you could probably drink a shot of olive oil in the morning, and pee in your otherwise empty crankcase that night and your hornet would likely say "thank you kind sir" and shave a tenth off your 1/4 mile, just for showing it your junk.

post #36 of 46 Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk62 View Post
So I fitted some extra padding behind it and glued a piece of wetsuit rubber over the tab the fits in under the tank. Also did the same to right side cover just for good measure. Problem solved.

Cheers all
So how did you explain the two inch hole in your wetsuit when you sold it on ebay?

Hooker_47 asked how to dispose of used kerosene. You burn it your helecopter. The Army will love the gift!!!

post #37 of 46 Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Mostly harmless...mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
So how did you explain the two inch hole in your wetsuit when you sold it on ebay?
Nah I ain't gunna sell my wetsuit. Its modified to work perfectly now. The removal of the piece of rubber is in a strategic position to allow me to "go" without removing the wetsuit

post #38 of 46 Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Hornet Grandpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk62 View Post
Nah I ain't gunna sell my wetsuit. Its modified to work perfectly now. The removal of the piece of rubber is in a strategic position to allow me to "go" without removing the wetsuit
Yes, but any hole that can allow you to "go", can allow something to come in! ...but then it's probably a little small for a Great White to swim through!

Where are you in Australia? I spent five weeks in Tasmania and a week in Melbourne a few years ago, on business. Now my wife wants me to take her there.

post #39 of 46 Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase

Welcome gronk62. Just want to say I am jealous. I have had 3 Australia port visits canceled. I feel like the only salty sailor in the Navy that hasn't been to Australia yet. It is really tempting me to get an international license and take my own trip out there.

Sorry for the threadjack, but at least it is over. Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #40 of 46 Old 02-13-2008, 01:05 AM
Mostly harmless...mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Where are you in Australia? I spent five weeks in Tasmania and a week in Melbourne a few years ago, on business. Now my wife wants me to take her there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkace625 View Post
Welcome gronk62. Just want to say I am jealous. I have had 3 Australia port visits canceled. I feel like the only salty sailor in the Navy that hasn't been to Australia yet. It is really tempting me to get an international license and take my own trip out there.

Sorry for the threadjack, but at least it is over. Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
Here's a google maps link to the closest town to me Warragul, Victoria, Australia

And here's some pics of where I live...

My property is circled in red

And here's one of the "locals" who comes to visit us from time to time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode