Exaust comparison - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Exaust comparison

Hi all, I've been thinking about cans... It's hard to listen to sound clips of different systems, the pc speakers obviously can't represent true sound. Who has had or heard different cans on their or others 919's and can offer a comparison, from dtock to baffelectomy to aftermarket? Please be a descriptive as possible on tone and volume at idle and WOT, etc... Hey Mike, this could be one of those topics...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Centurion

Come to think of it, I have seen exactly ONE 919 that was not my own, running & moving down the road. I have seen that & one other 919 that was not my own, outside of a motorcycle showroom; the other was parked on the street

So I'm not much help.

post #3 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Imaginifer

I've only seen a 599 with a stock exhaust. Sorry. I like my 2Bros for the price, though.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

I've seen exactly 2 919s in NJ. I could hear them, thank to my Satos gen I

post #5 of 29 Old 07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Well, my friend's CF 2Bros is a lot louder than my CF Mivvs. Mine have a better growl i think, maybe i'm biased. As for stock... way too quiet. Only decent sound is near the rev limiter. If i remember right, the debaffled ones were slightly louder, but i'm not %100 on that.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #6 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

post #7 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I've had and herd many... depends on of you want loud or just a bit more growl. Akro is the mix of both with a loud but awesome growl/rumble. sato if you can find them are actually about the same sound but loader. Delkevic are quiet with a good rumble and can get louder with removal of the db reducer, Mivv... well there is nothing like it, and I mean that in the most positive way. No they are not screaming loud but the are music.

My vote would be Akro (if you can find them) or Mivv

There are a few clips on my website WWW.machmoto.com
If there are any typos in this reply, give me a break as it was done on my phone.

post #8 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

I've had and herd many... depends on of you want loud or just a bit more growl. Akro is the mix of both with a loud but awesome growl/rumble. sato if you can find them are actually about the same sound but loader. Delkevic are quiet with a good rumble and can get louder with removal of the db reducer, Mivv... well there is nothing like it, and I mean that in the most positive way. No they are not screaming loud but the are music.

My vote would be Akro (if you can find them) or Mivv

There are a few clips on my website MachMoto
If there are any typos in this reply, give me a break as it was done on my phone.

post #9 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I have the Yoshi TRS and they come with DB killers. With the DB killers in, they are a touch louder than stock but growlier if that makes sense. You can't really hear the stock pipes on the freeway, but you can hear these. I like the sound a lot better.

Without the DB killers, they are a lot louder than stock but basically sound the same, just louder. They are not too loud, but I would recommend ear plugs as the exhaust drone is very noticeable when riding.

From what I have heard, gen 1 Sato's are too loud for everyday, but IMO the Yoshi's are not. Search Youtube for videos. This will help you determine if you like the sound at least, but not the volume. Everyone's idea on acceptable volume will differ, but at least with cans that come with DB killers you have a choice. FWIW, I reallllly like the sound of the MIVV X-cones but I have no idea how they compare in volume to mine, or stock. They are also quite a bit more in price. SS TRS can be had for around $500.

I have found videos on YT for Yoshi, MIVV, Leo Vince, Sato, Delkevic, Hindle and Akrapovic

(Leo Vince)YouTube - honda cb 900
YouTube - Honda 919 Sato Pipes
YouTube - Honda 919/Stock exhaust 2 Leo Vince exhaust
YouTube - My Honda 900 Hornet with Delkevic Titanium Exhausts
YouTube - Honda 919 Hornet with Hindle exhaust
YouTube - 900 Hornet Akrapovic
YouTube - Honda Hornet 900 F-7 With Yoshimura TRS Tri Oval
YouTube - Honda 919 MIVV exhaust

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #10 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Tirone

Thanks for recompiling all the information here, I'm also looking into aftermarket exhausts.

Could someone explain what is wrong with these exhausts from Dan Moto?

Exhaust Carbon GP Honda CB 900 Hornet EX107: eBay Motors (item 150447433018 end time Aug-22-10 02:16:17 PDT)

Based on the price I have to assume they would be more trouble or outright trash, but I couldn't find anything on them with the forum search tool so if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

post #11 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Ballaholic

iv seen quite a few 919s in NJ. hard to tell what cans they got cause they go by soooooo fast. i do really like my MIVV pipes though. sounds good, looks good, and weights about 8lb less than stock which is plus

post #12 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

It is hard to tell the volume on a sound clip or video, but you can get a good idea of the exhaust note or tone. Of all the dual untertail ones I have heard, I like the tone of MIVV X-cones, but have never heard them in person. Also they look pretty nice.

I went the 900RR route and have a Scorpion. A little deeper note at idle but not real loud. On the highway at constant speed your can hardly hear it, but when you gas it it gives off a real nice growl.

post #13 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I have personally heard Sato, Stock, and bafflectomy pipes on my own bike. Stock is...well...stock. Bafflectomy sounded like an empty can to me. I guess you could say it might have been an improvement over stock, but I chose to go back to stock versus listening to the hollow rasp of that method. Satos, even my worn out, rotten cans, sound pretty good. Low rumble at idle, screaming beast wide open.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #14 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Thanks for all the replys, good info, nice comparisons.

post #15 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHeiman View Post
Thanks for recompiling all the information here, I'm also looking into aftermarket exhausts.

Exhaust Carbon GP Honda CB 900 Hornet EX107: eBay Motors (item 150447433018 end time Aug-22-10 02:16:17 PDT)

Based on the price I have to assume they would be more trouble or outright trash, but I couldn't find anything on them with the forum search tool so if anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Too short. They don't even come out past the licence plate frame; you'll get stink all over you like standing behind a skunk.

My Sato's (which sound AWESOME and I just sold today to do a 900RR conversion) came out past the license plate frame by a good 1-1.5 inches.

The Sato's are loud at WOT, but in higher gears and lower RPM's they can actually be quite tame, which is nice if you want to be discreet.

Akro's would be my 2nd choice, followed by Leo Vince or 2Bros, I've heard them all and would be happy with any of them.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #16 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Squidword

Garage
Unhappy Exhaust issues I wreak!

Im shopping too. So many of you mention cans that are by now very hard to find. From what I can see, the generally available models are: Two Brothers, Delkevic, YOSHIMURA, D&D, Jardine.

Sato and Moriwaki do not appear to be generally available any more.

I picked up a 2007 Honda 919 in the beginning of June. The previous owner did a baffle-ectomy and I never managed to secure the baffles he removed. At first the noise bothered me but I figured I could put some ear plugs in and deal. But I started noticing that my jacket wreaked of exhaust. My wife complained after one ride, her hair stunk. I rode with my favorite backpack just 3 times and it is now shot for any hunting trips as any deer will smell it a mile away! If I ride to work, my jacket stinks up my entire office its that bad.
I do not smell it while riding, it is a smell that is on my clothing - in particular the back of my jacket/pant bottoms and if I put on a backpack then it stinks. There is no leak upstream of the exhaust exit. It's just that the pipe opening is now the entire size of the cone instead of that little jet opening that is in the stock unit. So, it has to be that without the little restrictor on the end of the pipe, the disposition and flow of exhaust fumes has been complete changed. The way I see it, if I could get a wind tunnel picture, there must be a cloud of exhaust swirling just behind me all the time or at least at around town speeds.

For those with some experience, I have a question:
Does the stock exhaust work fine as it comes from the factory or do you still have issues with exhaust fumes? If any of you complain about the stock exhaust, then there will be no sense for me to bother trying that first

post #17 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Welcome Pete
The quick fix is some exhaust pipe extenders or you could go with a low pipe.
https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...nk-thread.html

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #18 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemacmahon View Post
Im shopping too. So many of you mention cans that are by now very hard to find. From what I can see, the generally available models are: Two Brothers, Delkevic, YOSHIMURA, D&D, Jardine.

I picked up a 2007 Honda 919 in the beginning of June. The previous owner did a baffle-ectomy and I never managed to secure the baffles he removed. At first the noise bothered me but I figured I could put some ear plugs in and deal. But I started noticing that my jacket wreaked of exhaust. My wife complained after one ride, her hair stunk. I rode with my favorite backpack just 3 times and it is now shot for any hunting trips as any deer will smell it a mile away! If I ride to work, my jacket stinks up my entire office its that bad.
I do not smell it while riding, it is a smell that is on my clothing - in particular the back of my jacket/pant bottoms and if I put on a backpack then it stinks. There is no leak upstream of the exhaust exit. It's just that the pipe opening is now the entire size of the cone instead of that little jet opening that is in the stock unit. So, it has to be that without the little restrictor on the end of the pipe, the disposition and flow of exhaust fumes has been complete changed. The way I see it, if I could get a wind tunnel picture, there must be a cloud of exhaust swirling just behind me all the time or at least at around town speeds.

Does the stock exhaust work fine as it comes from the factory or do you still have issues with exhaust fumes? If any of you complain about the stock exhaust, then there will be no sense for me to bother trying that first
To answer some of your unanswered questions...

The manner which the "Baffles" are removed renders them garbage. You basically take a couple hole saws and saw off the end cap of the pipe, then beat and twist on the center pipe until the welds break inside. No way to fix that, but you might be able to find a member here who is willing to do an even trade for stock cans with you.

I never really had a huge problem with the stink unless I wore my Mesh jacket. It smelled fairly bad with the stock exhaust both baffled and unbaffled. With my Sato cans, I ran them for a while without a PCIII and thought the stink was mostly gone and I think it was due to the longer exhaust tips helping to get the stink away from the bike. With the PCIII, I don't have any more problems, that I'm aware of anyway.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemacmahon View Post

Hey Pete, I see you found us over here as well. I responded to you on Fireblades so I won't bother here, but welcome to WT.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #20 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
To answer some of your unanswered questions...

I never really had a huge problem with the stink unless I wore my Mesh jacket. It smelled fairly bad with the stock exhaust both baffled and unbaffled. With my Sato cans, I ran them for a while without a PCIII and thought the stink was mostly gone and I think it was due to the longer exhaust tips helping to get the stink away from the bike. With the PCIII, I don't have any more problems, that I'm aware of anyway.
I have Yosh TRSs. With the PC3 and a decent map, the stink was reduced. There are two elements to the stink.
One is the amount of stinky compounds actually in the exhaust gas as a function of mapping and the gasoline brew itself.
Second is the strong low pressure area that exists behind an upright passengers back in particular, with the twin outlets exiting into that zone. The low pressure zone is not as pronounced with a solo rider, with rider position (low bars ? high bars? amount of crouch?)
A low piped bike (like my ancient 4 piper CB750) has the gases move away from the bike.
The twin outlets under the seat result in exhaust gas parking itself there and permeating into the clothing, and cloth seems to be the worst.

post #21 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
yzarc mi os

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHeiman View Post

I'm tempted to try it since it's so cheap i have spent more on less that's for sure. like a day at the range with nothing show but the smell of gun powder.

Hell if people want to help set it up I'll dyno it before and after.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #22 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Pilus Posterior

Looking at them I'd have a couple of questions - what's the diameter of the inner core - just about all AM pipes are 50mm (2Bros are slightly larger) I ask as the outlet pipe looks huge! If that is a reflection of the core diameter then they will wake up hell!
Also with a 90 mm canister only 300mm long even with a 50 mm core there is not a lot of room left for packing - again - loud.

Having said that you could easily get a muffler shop to make up a outlet insert that reduces the outlet size and knock off some decibels.

IMO you'd be better off with the Delkevics - I'd question the quality of those $150 ones. Funny really - price stuff too cheap and people wonder what is wrong with it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EX00107_1.jpg (48.3 KB, 17 views)

post #23 of 29 Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Just thought I'd add to the thread again, since I'm still waiting for someone to spend the dosh to get these... MORIWAKI:ZERO TD ANO S/OMuffler

or...

http://japan.webike.net/products/1611667.html

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #24 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Not that you can get these, the Akropovik's or the Moriwaki's anymore, but I posted a youtube clip of my Sato's right before I took them off and shipped them to a fellow wt'er.

YouTube - Sato Sound Clip.AVI

I really hope the new scorpion can and 900rr headers sound at least that good.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #25 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Speed is life ...

My Moriwaki's sound awesome . Quiet until you rip on it .

'02 919
Moriwaki's
PCIII
Corbin
post #26 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911/919 View Post
My Moriwaki's sound awesome . Quiet until you rip on it .
Youtooooooooob!!!!!!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #27 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Brain stolen again?

Man, my computer sound system absolutely kicks ass! My wife comes in and glares at me when I have it up bangin' out some Judas Priest, Mtley Cre and Kiss. It just tweaks her something awful, but Brian and Scotty and I just can't get enough.

Good luck with the motorcycle "sound system" rmb.

I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #28 of 29 Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Tesserarius

There all just noise makers, so I use Baffles out = FREE

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #29 of 29 Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Optio

I've only heard stock and gutted stock pipes other than my Sato's, which I love but at times I wish they had the db killers like the Yoshi's.

Most people complement me on my Sato's and how they sound. Traded bikes a few weekends ago, he was riding mine and I was riding his Fat boy with straight pipes.

Cruising down the road going 60-65 and he passed me going a 100+ and the Satos sounded like some very pissed off hornets

GEN II's by the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode