Engine oils for the 919.. Which..??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Al

Engine oils for the 919.. Which..???

Well I just posted an article about my absolutely wonderful weekend ride of discovery (another thread). Although 99 percent of what I discovered about the 919's rideability was good and eye opening, one thing I noticed was the oil they used in the recent first service check, "exactly" as with the VTR-1000's we bought 2 years ago,, is crap, absolute crap. I don't know what brand it is, or whether it comes out of the 4 litre packs or from a bulk drum (more than likely), but has made the gear shift feel very sticky from the brand new motorcycle oil they had in it which was like silk... I remember being slightly concerened with this matter when we had the VTR's, for which we specified and payed for Motul but we were sure we didn't get it. It was even a slightly more golden look in colour through the sight glass than the brownish looking Motul normally is. This time, we just let them use whatever,, thinking we will complete the run-in, dump that oil and move onto what we want. This time around we thought we would try Castrol Power 1 GP 10w-40.

Anyway, my brother asked me on the very first ride after the service - "what do ya think of the oil, I reckon it isn't that good - AGAIN..??". I said it felt a little less smooth but it was ok'ish I guess. Since then we have been only for a couple of rides but it wasn't until we had this big ride over the weekend just gone that I noticed the gear changes felt lees than precise, almost grinding itself into each gear and quite clunky at times. A few times I had to re-flick the gear lever with my foot to make sure it did go in and once I pulled into a gas station (for a pee) and thought I had it in neutral, let out the clutch and the bike jumped forward, not because it falsely indicated neutral but because I thought I changed down the correct amount of times to get into 1st then give a small pich up into neutral. Infact it was only in 2nd, hence the jump forward as I tried to find a neutral between 2nd and 3rd. Just wasn't ready for it, plus my bladder was in no mood to wait any longer...

Immediately upon the first 919 ride, after owning VTR's, we commented to each other just how smooth the gearbox felt by comparison. Now, it feels like we have come full circle, back to where we were 2 years ago. Now we know it's the oil... Normally we would simply stick to Motul but I thought I would try Castrol for a change. It's got to be better than what we've got now. Anyway, it's too late, we were travelling past the auto accessories shop and called in and bought a pack each,, so now we have to live with our choice... We will take 'em for a small ride first fine day (yes it's damned raining again) and drop the old stuff and we will see...

Anyone heard much about Castrol Power 1 GP semi-synthetic..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I don't know much about the Castrol, but I just put in AMSOIL and I absolutely love it. I was previously using Honda HP4(gold bottle) and it was nice, but this AMSOIL full synthetic is amazing.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Al

No problems with full synthetic...???

I know virtually nothing about them in modern bikes...

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Milites Gregarius

Shell Rotella Oil is good too. Walmart for 10 bucks for a gallon. Its full synthetic too

post #5 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

shouldnt be any problems with any full syn, as long as it doesnt have the moly additives or any friction modifiers,, that would damage your clutch and such...

I used Repsol for about 2 years now, but just merely for cost, now using amsoil.. but if you check with what anyone says,, the repsol is just amazing,, but pretty much any full syn oil will be great compared to the blend stuff... if you can afford it,, give the Repsol a shot.... you'll notice it after the second change i was using the 4T 10-50 or 15-50

I think the reason it is so expensive is the cool little squirt tube that pops out of the bottle, so you don't need a funnel or anything,, ROFL... but seriously something in the reppy makes it far better than anything ive ever used...

post #6 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 04:59 AM
Unbannable

Noooooo!!!!!!!111111oneoneone:n o:

post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

i too just started using Amsoil, but im using their filter, and they claim 25,000 between oil changes with this stuff, well, im gonna test that theory, keeping a full vigil on my oil might be a small price to pay, but i feel like its worth it. my two cents.

Bill

post #8 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Milites Gregarius

I use the Repsol blend... kind of a compromise between price and full syth goodness..
works great

Mitch
'83 Suzuki GS750E
'02 Honda 919
post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Cornicen

Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode