Engine Coolant Temperature - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Engine Coolant Temperature

Dear All,
I noticed since last late summer when I was riding, the ECT gauge needle dropped right to the black strip near the C ( still above C), even after I had warmed up the engine until the radiator fan on ( the needle about 3/4 closer to H). Manual book said the needle should be about mid way between C and H.
Is this normal ?
I am just about to pull out the thermostat and test it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiko View Post
Dear All,
I noticed since last late summer when I was riding, the ECT gauge needle dropped right to the black strip near the C ( still above C), even after I had warmed up the engine until the radiator fan on ( the needle about 3/4 closer to H). Manual book said the needle should be about mid way between C and H.
Is this normal ?
I am just about to pull out the thermostat and test it.

Thanks.
i would be careful about opening the cooling system without a really good reason.. and the book was not written for every climate.. as long as it is not running in the hot and is staying anywhere in the normal range i wouldnt mess with it... in my humble opinion.... if it aint broke don't fix it....

post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

For the most , when I'm moving my needle never moves much over the C mark. When at a stoplight it will climb up and the fan kicks on about 3/4. From what Ive read on here yours sounds pretty normal.

Check this thread https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...highlight=temp

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Shoot to stop

I'm so glad that someone posed this. I've meant to for a while now but have never gotten around to it. This is my first water cooled bike, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the temp guage. On my truck, once it's warmed up the temp guage stays around mid way up. On the bike, unless I'm sitting still for a while, it barely gets over the C at all. Kept wondering if there was something wrong with it. Good to know that I'm not the only one that wonders and even better to know that all's good.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2008, 05:58 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Mine also expresses these same symptoms. I take it as normal. It takes a long time, even in the summer, for the needle to get to the C mark when i first start it in the morning. When riding, it stays just above that mark, unless I'm in town with lots of stop lights.

The 600RR I've ridden quite a bit has a digital temp gauge and it seems to be the same. While riding through the twisties it will stay around 165 - 175 degrees (sometimes a little cooler depending on the weather), but in town it will quickly climb to 210+.

Press Any Key To Continue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode