Engaging to neutral gear - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ragemydream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sg
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Engaging to neutral gear

Hi all

After riding for seven years, now having problem to engage neutral gear while bike is stationary. Especially, stopping at traffic light, makes it difficult to down to neutral. Does anyone know where's the problem or experience before?

Btw, I had changed engine oil and lube the chain, helps a bit.

ragemydream is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
are you comming to a full stop then attempting to hit neutral?

if so thats why... your fully stopping the tranny from spinning... try going all the way to first then as your just about to stop (say 2 mph) pop it into neutral.

or if your stopped and want to get it into neutral... pull the clutch in (well obviously its in... its in gear) and rock the bike back and forth while going for neutral.

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ragemydream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sg
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
This situation just happen recently, I never experience this before. Plus I did not change anything except X-ring chain. I tot it was the old chain problem but after the chain, still the same.
Strangely is when I off the engine, it is very easy to kick to neutral.

ragemydream is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Hastatus Prior
 
TheBeeDeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mobile
Posts: 1,570
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
are you comming to a full stop then attempting to hit neutral?

if so thats why... your fully stopping the tranny from spinning... try going all the way to first then as your just about to stop (say 2 mph) pop it into neutral.

or if your stopped and want to get it into neutral... pull the clutch in (well obviously its in... its in gear) and rock the bike back and forth while going for neutral.
Yeah this, I had this problem with my 599 at first. If you are changing down through all the gears as you come to a stop at the traffic light without letting the clutch out the whole way down it will get stuck. It won't go into first or neutral without rocking the bike.

Solution is to let the clutch engage a couple of times coming to a stop. 6,5 let out the clutch, 4,3..let out the clutch...2,1. Dunno if that's the problem, but there it is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
TheBeeDeeGee is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
Yeah this, I had this problem with my 599 at first. If you are changing down through all the gears as you come to a stop at the traffic light without letting the clutch out the whole way down it will get stuck. It won't go into first or neutral without rocking the bike.

Solution is to let the clutch engage a couple of times coming to a stop. 6,5 let out the clutch, 4,3..let out the clutch...2,1.

This ^^^

The tranny does not like the shift from second into neutral at a standstill. It's not a flaw it's a feature. You should be in first by the time that you have stopped anyway...

try to be careful about sitting at an intersection in neutral. That is a good way to have somebody rear-end you while you are being all relaxed and inattentive.

I will always wait until I have at least one car stopped behind me before shifting to neutral and relaxing, that way I wont be unpleasantly suprised.


Ride safe!




.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 1
 
I had a problem like this recently with my Thunderbird... turned out that the clutch cable had stretched out enough that the clutch was not fully engaging, and needed to be adjusted to pull the clutch all the way in.

I am still waiting on the replacement clutch cable, as I figure if it has stretched that far after 30k miles, it is time for a replacement before it snaps and leaves me stranded somewhere.

2007 Honda 919
2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Wells is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Le So Cal Troll
 
nd4spdbh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,766
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
I had a problem like this recently with my Thunderbird... turned out that the clutch cable had stretched out enough that the clutch was not fully engaging, and needed to be adjusted to pull the clutch all the way in.

I am still waiting on the replacement clutch cable, as I figure if it has stretched that far after 30k miles, it is time for a replacement before it snaps and leaves me stranded somewhere.
clutchless riding isnt all that bad.... just gotta time the neutrals at the stop right good.

ya OP how much free play you got in the lever?

nd4spdbh is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ragemydream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sg
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
Clutch cable problem...
I'm wondering if it's clutch plate worn out.

ragemydream is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
The Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 2,762
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragemydream View Post
Clutch cable problem...
I'm wondering if it's clutch plate worn out.
It's not. the clunk/lurch is normal, based on how you described the situation. You're giving yourself the vapors. Go ride!




.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
The Shadow is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
cannon
 
swcannon80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: st pete
Posts: 51
Rep Power: 1
 
Shouldent be putting it in neutral at light youtube rearended biker and see how that looks just my two cents

swcannon80 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
ragemydream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sg
Posts: 12
Rep Power: 1
 
After adjusting the clutch cable, the problem is resolved. Thanks all

ragemydream is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Tirone
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 39
Rep Power: 1
 
Boo-yah! Called it in one!

Since this is also an indication that your clutch cable is stretching, I would recommend you get one ordered for replacement now, like I have. It would really suck to be out there somewhere and have that cable snap completely!

2007 Honda 919
2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Wells is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,764
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells View Post
Boo-yah! Called it in one!

Since this is also an indication that your clutch cable is stretching, I would recommend you get one ordered for replacement now, like I have. It would really suck to be out there somewhere and have that cable snap completely!
dont be so excited, adjusted clutch or not, if he tries to shift down more than 2 gears at once while stopped, he'll still have the same issues its just a 919 thing you gotta work around.

also, ALL cables stretch to a point. thats why there's 2 adjustment points (1 on each end of the cable) to account for this. when one gets near the outer limits of the adjustment zone is usually a good indicator of when to buy a replacement for the cable can either just snap at that point or continue to stretch beyond the adjustable zone. there's no predicting it.

best thing to do for a stretching cable is to lube it. this greatly extends the life of the cable only takes 5 minutes from start to finish.

Pvster is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
best thing to do for a stretching cable is to lube it. this greatly extends the life of the cable only takes 5 minutes from start to finish.
You must do this often, is this why it hangs down to your knees???

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,764
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
You must do this often, is this why it hangs down to your knees???
why do you think my wife married me? she caught a glimpse of the beast and that sealed the deal: Deaf or not

Pvster is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Community Moderator
 
g00gl3it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 11,613
Rep Power: 1
  

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
why do you think my wife married me? she caught a glimpse of the beast and that sealed the deal: Deaf or not
So you're a one-eyed, deaf snake?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
g00gl3it is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,764
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
So you're a one-eyed, deaf snake?
AAAANND you dont get any of the action

Pvster is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome