End of the season for me :-( - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

End of the season for me :-(

So, hopped on the bike this morning for what I thought would probably be the last ride of the season, seeing how we had an unusually warm day (49 degrees at 7am) for the middle of November in Idaho.

Bike felt REALLY heavy this morning, was in neutral, and still seemed rather difficult to push around. I coughed it up to being motionless in a freezing garage the last few weeks and that I had just replaced brake lines so thought maybe they were gripping/rubbing too much. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. Chain probably needed a good lubing, too, I thought.

Anyway, thought I'd carefully ride her anyways and listen for brake rubbing. I didn't get 10 feet past the driveway when I felt it and was sure what it was.

REAR WAS FLAT! Couldn't really see it in the dark garage and didn't think to give it a good kick before heading out. No wonder it was so hard to push around!

Pulled back in the garage and inspected the tire. No nails, no chunks of metal, no cuts. But I do see what looks like a white dirt clod flush with the tire, I thought it was just dirt, so I go to wipe it off.

It's a ROCK. Fully embedded in the tire; flush. Pointy end down into the tire, of course.

Grabbed the nearest sharp object (a sawzall blade) and pried her out. Over 1/4" deep. Popped her out and now have a hole the size of a pencil eraser just right of center.

DAMNIT. I told my wife that I would wait until spring to get new tires.

I'm done for the year. And no, I won't plug the tire and ride. Just don't think it's safe enough.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

New rubber time. Keep an eye out for winter specials.

look at it this way a decent rear tyre in New Zealand is around the $300 mark. You'll get one for half that!

post #3 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I came home last Sunday from being out of state to snow drifts. I'm done too.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #4 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Duuuuuuurp.....

haha.... went riding this morning! I think it was for the last time though...

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #5 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Former 919er

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I came home last Sunday from being out of state to snow drifts. I'm done too.
Winter sucks...

Us Canadians used to have a rap for being in the snow, but it seems a lot of you have had it a lot worse in recent years. I'm hoping for a few more rides here in Ottawa. We've only had a few hours of snow so far.

g00gl3it - sorry about your tire. To have an end of season due to snow is one thing, but to have to stop because of a freak tire incident is just cruel.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

g00gl3it it could have been worse. Live to ride another day, be it this year or next year. Next year is not that far off.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
The Cripple

yes winter sucks... but i'm still riding... boy it sure is cold and WET... but i'm still riding... winter does suck....

post #8 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Princeps Prior

its been in the mid-40's this past week here in Michigan..... forcast to be in the 50's on Sunday. Plan to keep riding until the first hard snow in which a good layer of salt will be involved.

Once the salt or sand is down, its over no matter what the temp is......

post #9 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Show + go

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Hoping to squeeze one more ride out this weekend before I put her in dry dock for the winter. Same deal here, once the salt gets laid down it's all over. That was another nice thing about living in Montana. No salt or sand. You just have to rely on common sense when there is snow on the road. Made spring riding nice

When the green flag drops, the bullsh!t stops
post #10 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

you poor bastards.... just grabbed a new set of pilot power 2ct's and ill probably put on a good 2k-3k miles between now and march <3 so cal!

post #11 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Princeps Prior

Couldn't even imagine riding year round.........

post #12 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
McTavish

-23 C last night
Snow and ice galore now.
All the bikes are on stands, wheels off and in the basement so that good sport rubber doesn't not experience ill effects of -30 or worse.
Stabil in the tanks, all tanks topped, bikes run to circulate fuel make sure it's in the fuel rails and the injectors have seen it.
Batteries out and on tenders.
Summer coolant mix doctored for winter cold.

Rickard is laughing out loud here in town. He rides his bike every month of the year. I think he does that some winters just so he can say he does, as in finding the one hour of the month with a no ice no snow stretch of road with not too much sand or gravel and not caring about the temperature. He's sure made of tougher stuff than I am !

post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Princeps Prior

Every year here in Grand Rapids, MI...... there is a a track-day Race School, called the Team Chicago Challenge. Its at the VERY beginning of the year..... in the morning is a couple track schools with good instruction, a track walk, with a couple sessions in the afternoon. You then are given a race license for the year to apply for WERA.....

2 years ago.....it was in the 30's that day, sure enough ---- it snowed. You wouldn't believe at how many bikes still showed up anyway......

2 guys w/ heated gear even rode their bikes all the way from Chicago in that icy, snowy, weather.....

Balls.....big, big, balls.

Here is a picture of the track-walk........

post #14 of 15 Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
-23 C last night
Snow and ice galore now.
All the bikes are on stands, wheels off and in the basement so that good sport rubber doesn't not experience ill effects of -30 or worse.
Stabil in the tanks, all tanks topped, bikes run to circulate fuel make sure it's in the fuel rails and the injectors have seen it.
Batteries out and on tenders.
Summer coolant mix doctored for winter cold.

Rickard is laughing out loud here in town. He rides his bike every month of the year. I think he does that some winters just so he can say he does, as in finding the one hour of the month with a no ice no snow stretch of road with not too much sand or gravel and not caring about the temperature. He's sure made of tougher stuff than I am !
Your post did make me laugh actually. My bike isn't laughing, sitting at the side of the road, cold, covered in snow. No Stabil, no battery tender and rubber on the road. You are right on the money about saying I ride every month just to say I did. There are times through the winter that I can get out more than just an hour however. I remember Christmas Day about three years ago when the temperature was 16C (61F). There was literally hundreds of bike cruzing the city. I think I will be out riding within 2 weeks. We are suppose to get up to about 3C by Thursday.

Spoiler:

post #15 of 15 Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Every year here in Grand Rapids, MI...... there is a a track-day Race School, called the Team Chicago Challenge. Its at the VERY beginning of the year..... in the morning is a couple track schools with good instruction, a track walk, with a couple sessions in the afternoon. You then are given a race license for the year to apply for WERA.....

2 years ago.....it was in the 30's that day, sure enough ---- it snowed. You wouldn't believe at how many bikes still showed up anyway......

2 guys w/ heated gear even rode their bikes all the way from Chicago in that icy, snowy, weather.....

Balls.....big, big, balls.

Here is a picture of the track-walk........

Mind boggling and hilarious at the same time.
That would be the kind of day to revert to dirt track style riding.
You know, foot down style.
But with a mini ski for a boot.
Maybe a skate instead.
Or a sled runner with a carbide.

And hours on the road in electric suits just to get to the track !
Madness, absolute madness.
I love it !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode